GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Front lowering springs install question...

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/07, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Front lowering springs install question...

As a few of you know, I recently bought the Roush Rear springs (looking to level out the car) and installed them on my '06 Vert and really like them, except that they are 1/4" lower in the back than in the front. So, I ordered the fronts and since I do not have any experience in installing the front springs, I am looking for a place to install them for me. I asked the Service Manager at my Ford store and he recommended a place, but they wanted almost $500 to install just the fronts (saying it would take them a total of 5 hours, WTF?!)... I have no experience doing the fronts (I have done the rears a couple times) and have the instructions from Taco Bill, but something tells me that me + spring compressor = accident waiting to happen... LOL!

Anyone have an idea of where I could go and how much I should be looking to spend? $450-$500 sounds high to me...
Old 6/4/07, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iceknyght
As a few of you know, I recently bought the Roush Rear springs (looking to level out the car) and installed them on my '06 Vert and really like them, except that they are 1/4" lower in the back than in the front. So, I ordered the fronts and since I do not have any experience in installing the front springs, I am looking for a place to install them for me. I asked the Service Manager at my Ford store and he recommended a place, but they wanted almost $500 to install just the fronts (saying it would take them a total of 5 hours, WTF?!)... I have no experience doing the fronts (I have done the rears a couple times) and have the instructions from Taco Bill, but something tells me that me + spring compressor = accident waiting to happen... LOL!

Anyone have an idea of where I could go and how much I should be looking to spend? $450-$500 sounds high to me...
If you feel uneasy about the spring compressor thing, just take the complete strut assembly to any shop that does struts and shocks and have them swap in the new springs for you. I can't imagine the swap costing more than $60 or so.
Then, take back the strut assembly back home and complete the installation.
Old 6/4/07, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five hours! I can do a front spring change in about an hour and I'm not a professional mechanic.
Old 6/4/07, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

That quoted price is crazy. As Bill said, take the entire assembly to someone to have them swapped out. I'll bet you can find an independent shop to do it for less than $50. As far as a time reference, I did all four corners on my car AND front and rear sway bars in less than 2 hours TOTAL.
Old 6/4/07, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
If you feel uneasy about the spring compressor thing, just take the complete strut assembly to any shop that does struts and shocks and have them swap in the new springs for you. I can't imagine the swap costing more than $60 or so.
Then, take back the strut assembly back home and complete the installation.

Hmmm... That might be an option! Great idea!

Five hours! I can do a front spring change in about an hour and I'm not a professional mechanic.
I know I did my rears in less than an hour (well, the second time)...

That quoted price is crazy. As Bill said, take the entire assembly to someone to have them swapped out. I'll bet you can find an independent shop to do it for less than $50. As far as a time reference, I did all four corners on my car AND front and rear sway bars in less than 2 hours TOTAL.
That's what I thought... And that's why I told them thanks, but no thanks... I knew 5 hours was way over... Heck, all I have is Taco Bill's write-up and I think even *I* could do it in 5 hours... LOL!
Old 6/4/07, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Most of your local general repair shops or a Discount Tire store should have a spring compressor, I'm sure they can do the job or can disassemble and reassemble the strut assy.

I had my lowering springs, coil-over coversion kit, LCA's with relo bracket, adj. panhard bar with support brace, boxed subframes, tunnel brace, A-arm support, Steeda Tri-ax and later FRPP Stg3 dampers and a adj. UCA installed for $620 @ $60 per hr.

Those people definately want to much for their work..

Bobby M.
Old 6/4/07, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Icey, just make sure the little notch on the top of the strut points OUT towards the wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07 HOSS
Old 9/14/07, 11:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to revive this thread. I've heard of people loosening the nut on top of the strut tower with the car still on the ground and then carefully remove the assembly after. That way you won't need a compressor to disassemble. Also, the replacement springs are sometimes short enough to not need a compressor for reassembly. Thoughts?
Old 9/14/07, 11:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phorty
Sorry to revive this thread. I've heard of people loosening the nut on top of the strut tower with the car still on the ground and then carefully remove the assembly after. That way you won't need a compressor to disassemble. Also, the replacement springs are sometimes short enough to not need a compressor for reassembly. Thoughts?
Don't know about loosing the nut thing I've heard of it being done! I'm as I post taking a brake from swapping struts and installing my GF lowering springs 1.6'' drop in front and yes I am having to compress them to mount on Tociko HP'S not as much as factory's but there needing squeezed..
Old 9/15/07, 12:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phorty
I've heard of doing it this way too, but I'd rather stick to the way I swapped mine out.

I had to use a compressor to install the Ultralite springs.
Old 9/15/07, 05:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh, I was talking to one of our techs about changing the tower caps for the TSB and I was saying I need to get it aligned again and whatnot. He said 'why bother, just drop the struts from the top, leave it on the spindle, compress the spring and swap caps-one hour or less, no alignment change'. Now why the heck did I not just do that to put the ultralites on in the first place??

I don't remember if it will move enough to get the entire spring off though
Old 9/15/07, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is play at the strut tower. You can get out of alignement when you have those replaced. We played with mine at the alignment shop and almost got it tweaked in without camber bolts. My thought is that you want to get the alignment checked after that repair, just in case.

Also, I was able to install my ultralites not using a spring compressor. I just used a little weight and pushed down as I put the nut on by hand. I had the spring compressor as I used it on the stock springs, just didn't need it for the ultralites.