GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FR Power Pack

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/06, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FR Power Pack

Has anyone tried the Power Pack yet? Thinking about buying as my first mod...or maybe C & L cai instead. Any insight anyone??
Old 5/9/06, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't get it. The tuner is a waste, and the CAI doesn't even come with a new tube. Go the C&L or JLTII route.
Old 5/9/06, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Article in 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords reviewed the drag pack, which appears to be simialr with a shifter and 4.10 gears. According to the article, the Ford tuner contains a preset factory tune for the package. Although probably the best for the configuration, it isn't custom tunable.
Old 5/13/06, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang18
Has anyone tried the Power Pack yet? Thinking about buying as my first mod...or maybe C & L cai instead. Any insight anyone??
The Power Pack 1, in reality is The Steeda CAI w/Ford's name on it...Both Ford and Steeda share technology, in which Steeda also participates directly with Ford, in it's performance parts program..So if you're thinking about the Power Pack, you'll be much better off, if you purchase directly through Steeda or any other retailer, who carries Steeda products.. And besides, you'll also be able to use the X-CAL II tuner, to go along with you're CAI, instead of being limited, in having to settle for the Power Pack's Pro Cal Tool, which really isn't what you call, a real tuner anyhow..So anyway, hope this provides the insight, you were looking for, and wish you the best of luck..
Old 5/13/06, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm really disappointed in the tuner but I like the package as a cai and exhaust. I'm Still torn because these are the only mods I'll be doing on this car so it's not like I need a real tuner anyway....decisions...decisions...
Old 5/13/06, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang18
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm really disappointed in the tuner but I like the package as a cai and exhaust. I'm Still torn because these are the only mods I'll be doing on this car so it's not like I need a real tuner anyway....decisions...decisions...
Even if those are the only mods, you'll be doing..There's many other advantages, that only a real tuner can provide, such as getting rid of that annoying throttle lag, plus you'll also gain an additional 10HP. And, if you ever need to make any adjustments or upgrades in the future, you'll have the freedom and options, to do so at anytime..And to be honest with you, I don't plan on doing any mods, other than CAI and simple bolt-on's..However, I also want the best power and toruqe, for my money, that only a real tuner can provide..So do yourself a favor, if you're going to do a CAI mod..Do it right, the first time..
Old 5/13/06, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, what he ^^^ said.

Tuners are wonderful, or so I'm told (still haven't gone out to get a CAI/tune yet). Besides, you're spending the money, so do it right.
Old 5/15/06, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Cost wise, it is similar.

JTL CAI and Tune.....$ 555.00 (plus $25.00 shipping)
FLowmasters...........$ 275.00 (summit racing parts/Jegs,,,,,free shipping)

Total..................... 830.00 no shipping added....10 bucks more than the power pac.....this includes a real, programable, upgradeable, Bama chip friendly tuner.

Good luck
Old 5/15/06, 02:32 PM

[quote=traffic142]Cost wise, it is similar.
this includes a real, programable, upgradeable, Bama chip friendly tuner.

Thanks for the good advice...after looking at all the options it doesn't make any sense to buy the power pack!
Old 5/22/06, 08:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bingo
Don't get it. The tuner is a waste, and the CAI doesn't even come with a new tube. Go the C&L or JLTII route.
What do you mean " a waste of money"... FRRP claims an additional 25hp from stock which to me seems to be more or less the same that any CAI w/tune would give. Right?
If I'm wrong though, let me in on what I may not know cause I was planning to get this power pack. I heard so many stories over the last year about people not being satisfied with their tune and having to go back to the shop or spending more money to get things right. So I figured since Ford's name was on it it would be pretty safe.

Bottom line, all I'm looking for is something that's gonna work right out of the box.
Old 5/22/06, 10:41 PM

I think what they're referring to was the tuner itself. The tuner seems like it uploads just one tune and that's it. In other words it doesn't have the flexibility to change with future mods. But other than that it seems like a nice no brainer out of the box deal. CAI, exhaust, and a reflash. That's all I'm ever planning to do with mine!