GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing X Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/06, 11:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Read my first post. I am going for the same setup as the GT-H and the Shelby GT.
Old 9/9/06, 05:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Read my first post. I am going for the same setup as the GT-H and the Shelby GT.
I understand, Rich. You'll be fine since the Shelbys use FRPP/Borla mufflers. More to the point, your car should sound great.

My comment was for anyone else reading this thread who may not have already decided on their setup.
Old 9/9/06, 07:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Clint/Rich,
I've been watching this thread for awhile, wondering if I should "pipe" in.

I've also been interested in the FRPP X-pipe since it was introduced, but now I have the new Pypes street legal X-pipe on order, should be here next week and installed in the next weekend or two. The pre-production intro price of < $87.00 was hard to beat, and I kind of like the design better than the FRPP.

I have Flowmaster A/T axlebacks. Clint's comment has me gulping a bit - but I'm hoping that with stock cats, it will just be a tad louder and pulse smoother, but little to no change in tone. (no raspies or trumpets) . Most folks here have off-road X's, not street legals. It's hard to gauge different tastes, but those with off-road X's do report a higher pitch and trumpeting compared to off-road H's, unless they found the right combo of cats and mufflers to get rid of them. Stock mufflers and/or some form of cats seem to have the best results, if memory serves...and I think the A/T's are about as close to the stock baffled muffler the aftermarket has.

The guy at Pypes told me that though the sale ended last week, most of the units they built last month were sold to RPM outlet and will probably eventually sell there for under $100 bucks plus shipping.

Just thought I'd let it be known there's another street legal X-pipe alternative to consider.

I'll report back in a week or two on the results. If I don't like it, I can easily change it back to stock with some 2.5" unstepped band clamps...
Old 9/9/06, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
There is no--I repeat zero resonance or drone with the addition of the FRPP X-Pipe on my 2007 Vert. The sound is slightly louder and more aggressive than stock when you really get on it, but otherwise it is about the same as stock. It is not going to bother the neighbors unless you are doing burnouts in the driveway. I get lots of compliments on the sound, and if not for wanting the tips that the FRPP GTA mufflers have, I would probably just keep the stock mufflers, it sounds that good IMHO. I liked the stock sound, and the X-Pipe made it even better. I should have my GTA mufflers in a couple of days, and I will install them as soon as they come in and post some pics and give everybody a report. It will sound just like the GT-H you rented however, as my Vert will have an indentical exhaust set up to the GT-H with the FRPP X-Pipe and GTA mufflers.
You've convinced me to go ahead and give your setup a shot. I've checked locally with the dealer for pricing, and they can't even find the part numbers in their computer. Not much of a confidence builder there! Is there anyone at Mathews Ford I should ask for? Thank you for your information, and please keep me informed on your mods. Best of Luck, Joe
Old 9/9/06, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
You've convinced me to go ahead and give your setup a shot. I've checked locally with the dealer for pricing, and they can't even find the part numbers in their computer. Not much of a confidence builder there! Is there anyone at Mathews Ford I should ask for? Thank you for your information, and please keep me informed on your mods. Best of Luck, Joe
Joe,

Ask for Scott in parts, he was very helpful, and delievered right on time with the X-Pipe. He was right up front with me on the GTA's, and told me they would be on backorder if I ordered them. He kept me posted, and shipped the mufflers to me the day they arrived. I should see them in a few days. The phone number is (419)698-4444. I know I posted the part numbers in one of these threads, but not sure which one, so here again are the part numbers:

FRPP Mufflers (used on the Shelby GT and GT-H) M-5230-GTA
FRPP X-Pipe (also used on the Shelby GT and GT-H) M-5251-R

Good luck and Semper Paratus!
Old 9/9/06, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Joe,

Ask for Scott in parts, he was very helpful, and delievered right on time with the X-Pipe. He was right up front with me on the GTA's, and told me they would be on backorder if I ordered them. He kept me posted, and shipped the mufflers to me the day they arrived. I should see them in a few days. The phone number is (419)698-4444. I know I posted the part numbers in one of these threads, but not sure which one, so here again are the part numbers:

FRPP Mufflers (used on the Shelby GT and GT-H) M-5230-GTA
FRPP X-Pipe (also used on the Shelby GT and GT-H) M-5251-R

Good luck and Semper Paratus!
Just got off the phone with Scott; he said your mufflers should arrive the first of the week. I went ahead and placed the order for the x-pipe and mufflers. Scott said he thought that it would not be too long, though he would call me the first of the week as well to tell me my timeline.

So now I guess it's up to you to share w/pics your impressions of the setup. Thanks again for your assistance, Semper Fi! Joe
Old 9/9/06, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
Just got off the phone with Scott; he said your mufflers should arrive the first of the week. I went ahead and placed the order for the x-pipe and mufflers. Scott said he thought that it would not be too long, though he would call me the first of the week as well to tell me my timeline.

So now I guess it's up to you to share w/pics your impressions of the setup. Thanks again for your assistance, Semper Fi! Joe
Glad to hear you're all squared away. I'll let you know as soon as mine arrive.
Old 10/7/06, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Clint/Rich,
I've been watching this thread for awhile, wondering if I should "pipe" in.

I've also been interested in the FRPP X-pipe since it was introduced, but now I have the new Pypes street legal X-pipe on order, should be here next week and installed in the next weekend or two. The pre-production intro price of < $87.00 was hard to beat, and I kind of like the design better than the FRPP.

I'll report back in a week or two on the results. If I don't like it, I can easily change it back to stock with some 2.5" unstepped band clamps...
I'm considering the FRPP and Pypes street legal x-pipes, did you install your Pypes x-pipe yet and if so how does it sound?
Old 10/7/06, 06:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Put it in last Sunday. I did a writeup on it earlier in the week, but it got lost in the restructuring.

I am very happy with it. Had a few minor headaches with the install - I had to loosen the stock cats to get them in about a 1/4" (1/8" each side, if you will) so they would slip through the new X. Also, the hangars didn't quite line up with the crossmember hangars (they didn't on my stock H either). Again, maybe off by 1/4" inch. I didn't have anything to bend them with enough leverage at the time, but I'll take care of that later this week. I believe that no one with the FRPP X-pipe had these issues, obviously due to the different design.

Results are the same, though. Much smoother exhaust, louder/deeper tone at WOT. No more motorboat put-put at idle. With my Flowmaster A/T mufflers, they actually got quieter at cruise and helped eliminate the mild drone to next to nothing. As a bonus - that made my speakers sound better. And yeah - I do feel a little more in the booty and the throttle seems a little snappier.

Can't go wrong with either one - I say price is the only differentiator, if you don't mind futzing with the cats and hangars a bit.
Old 10/7/06, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put it in last Sunday. I did a writeup on it earlier in the week, but it got lost in the restructuring.

I am very happy with it. Had a few minor headaches with the install - I had to loosen the stock cats to get them in about a 1/4" (1/8" each side, if you will) so they would slip through the new X. Also, the hangars didn't quite line up with the crossmember hangars (they didn't on my stock H either). Again, maybe off by 1/4" inch. I didn't have anything to bend them with enough leverage at the time, but I'll take care of that later this week. I believe that no one with the FRPP X-pipe had these issues, obviously due to the different design.

Results are the same, though. Much smoother exhaust, louder/deeper tone at WOT. No more motorboat put-put at idle. With my Flowmaster A/T mufflers, they actually got quieter at cruise and helped eliminate the mild drone to next to nothing. As a bonus - that made my speakers sound better. And yeah - I do feel a little more in the booty and the throttle seems a little snappier.

Can't go wrong with either one - I say price is the only differentiator, if you don't mind futzing with the cats and hangars a bit.
Buzzy, I think that you've already answered this question... But can you share your experience again. I have an 07 with the Flow A/Ts, I too was thinking about going with the FRPP X. Is it worth the $ and "time" to install it. Personally, I am experiencing zero drone with the A/T. So the X will make no differece there... I am ONLY looking for some more volume without changing the tone. I LOVE the sound now and really don't want to change it. I just want a the sound to be slightly louder at idle, accel, and WOT. I've read that "H"s sound better with baffled mufflers and that "X"s raise the pitch. What's your opinion as it will reflect on my decision. Thanks again!
Old 10/8/06, 02:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

With the X, the Flows got deeper and louder at idle, accel and WOT, in that order. They raise the volume up a notch but not a lot. At cruise they got quieter, IMO.

The difference with the FRPP and Pypes X's we are discussing here is that they are street legal and use the factory cats. Up until recently, most people were putting on off road X's and H's, and general report there was that the off road X's were raspier, caused trumpeting and were higher pitched than the off road H's. Some degree of resistance was needed to get the X's to quiet down, either with some form of cats or baffled muffler or both.

Since both of these street legal x's use the factory cats, and as most here have reported, including myself, there are no issues with raspiness, or trumpeting, and that the tone actually gets deeper. And...as reported in a similar thread, there are dyno proven HP gains as well.
Old 10/8/06, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This may be the best set-up ever for me. I went on a long road trip with my wife today and there was alot of uphill and twisties driving. I got 21.29 mpg and that's the best mileage I have ever gotten since DAY 1!

Here's a picture of some of the driving.

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 9/15/10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10/9/06, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And...as reported in a similar thread, there are dyno proven HP gains as well.
Thanks for the info.

By the way has anyone posted any dyno results with just the 50 state legal x-pipe? I haven't found any.
Old 10/9/06, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Check out this thread, post #18:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=54544

He picked up 6.41hp with the FRPP X-Pipe, whichs sounds perfectly reasonable since Ford and Shelby say it is worth about 5hp.
Old 10/15/06, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Has anyone installed the GTA's with X-pipe and Ford Shorty Headers? Hope to have my GTA's by the end of the week, leaning towards the headers as well (opinions?) and debating on leaving the H or switching to the X. This set-up is going on an 05 GT 'Vert, with the GMS CAI/MAF.