GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing Sway Bar Kit Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/07, 12:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing Sway Bar Kit Owners?

Well I am getting the front and rear sway bar kit installed at the dealer on feb 6th, I would like to know of those of you that have this kit, what do you have your front bar set too. It is adjustable I believe and has like 3 different mounting points. If you have this set up would you please post your feelings about the different points of adj, and what is the most performance related, and which is less etc. I am assuming the middle position is probably the best unless your seriously racing. But thats just guessing. any hints on this set up, thanks for any info.
Attached Images  
Old 1/26/07, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

You have to ask yourself a couple of questions. How do you feel about the way your car handles now? Does it understeer when you push it into a corner? Probably. Is this the only suspension mod you are doing right now?
Reason I ask is that the larger bars front/rear with the front bar set in the middle will give you roughly the same balance. I adjusted my front to full soft (outer most hole) because I have smaller tires up front as well as the additional weight of the SC. By adjusting to the softest I am promoting oversteer which in my case balances the car to near neutral.
So, if you like the current balance, use the middle hole. If you want to promote oversteer, use the furthest hole. If you want to promote understeer, use the innermost hole.
The bars are top notch! The bushings and mounts are great. If you have not done so already, pick up a tube of urethane bushing grease.
Old 1/26/07, 11:06 PM
Cobra R Member

No I havent picked up a tube of urethane grease yet, I am having the kit installed at the dealer when there doing the rear gears and girdle kit. I am sure I will need to pick up a tube after a bit, Well I am doing a little at a time as far as the suspension. Not doing springs or anything yet. Probably will start with the bars, possibly a strut brace. Then I think I am going to work with the lower braces and also the engine dampeners etc. I doubt I will do the control arms for a while, but when I do I probably will do steeda. Not really sure exactly what you all are saying by promoting over steer, you mean for the back end to slide out easily etc. I for now am keeping the rest stock as far as suspension. So what do you think the best position would be for stock except the bars, I want turning to be nice and tight, less roll etc. Be able to corner a lot better. If you dont mind could you give some examples of what your saying. Thanks for your help. I have never dealt with the adjustable type before. This is my first mustang, and my best obviously so I am getting used to the loose rear end etc. All my previous racers were either ricers civic si, or german makes, vw corrado etc. So I am definitely more used to the smaller cars. I appreciate any suggestions.
Old 1/27/07, 09:48 AM
Cobra R Member

wow theres got too be more than one person on this board that has this set up. I figured I would get a whole bunch of responses. I guess a lot of people havent gotten to there suspension yet, I guess we are all buying the shiny stuff first,LOL. Later
P.S. Thanks again for any comments on bar set up.
Old 1/27/07, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would start with the middle hole and see how your car is working. What works for someone elses car may not work for your car or driving style, experience, etc.

My experience started with the middle hole and I could indunce controlable oversteer. At the rear/softest position, I had wild oversteer which was fun, but not good for my track times (also did an unintentional 360 in light rain on a freway on-ramp). I ended up running at the forward/hard setting which made the car easiest to drive at the track. Then, after going up to 350lb front spring, replaced a worn out rear end and installed urethane LCA bushings, I'm back to the middle position.