GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing CAI(M-9600-S197)

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/06, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Racing CAI(M-9600-S197)

Has anyone installed this CAI? I think it looks great and I've heard no tune w/20 HP. I haven't found any links that provide a consistant discription or stats. John Bleakley's Ford has them for $181.00. If anyone has this CAI installed I would appreciate your opinions on the product. Thanks.

Old 8/1/06, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the S&B
http://www.sbfilters.com/product_display.php?id=130

Do a search for that
Old 8/1/06, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

thats deffinetly a re-badge.
Old 8/1/06, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know why you guys think you don't need a retune.... IF IT SAYS YOU DON'T NEED A RETUNE THEN IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOUR CAR.
Old 8/1/06, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by atomic_il
I don't know why you guys think you don't need a retune.... IF IT SAYS YOU DON'T NEED A RETUNE THEN IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOUR CAR.
sorry to say but there is another thread here that says the Airaid kit is making 20+hp without a tune so i am sorry to say otherwise

and to the Ford kit question it is a rebadge cause the one Ford sells just attaches to the old intake tube...that is a S&B
Old 8/1/06, 05:52 PM
Big Falken Tires

I thought as long as the MAF doesn't move from stock location you don't need a tune?.......
Old 8/1/06, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several kits on the market that claim more H.P. without a flash. Horsepower TV got around 10 horses out of the K&N kit if I remember right. When Ford Racing sells a cold air kit with a tuner then I believe that you will benefit more with a tune to let you pony breathe. JMO~
Old 8/1/06, 06:06 PM

I read that S&B makes most of Fords stock intakes, and that looks just like the S&B. Same thing with exhausts Borla makes the FordRacing exhausts just another name put on them.
Old 8/1/06, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by atomic_il
If you are going for performance...GO! Buy a decent CAI and Tuner, but if that isn't in the price range for now, buy underdrive pulleys. Build one step at a time and DO NOT COMPROMISE! You can get your 10 HP increase for the money you have now in pulleys. Then, when you have the ching to move on, you can get the CAI and Tune.

My fuel mileage went from HIGH 16 MPG to about 22MPG when I went from stocker running 87 Octane (Ford's free tank) to a C&L Predator Tune and CAI and 93 Octane. I have driven the car 10,000 miles and doing the math:

87 Octane - $3.09 / gallon (WI) x 10K miles = 1931.50
93 Octane - $3.39 / gallon (WI) x 10K miles = 1540.90

So I saved $400 since April with my CAI and tune which cost me $549.
I actually saved more when I went to CO for July 4th as my highway only mileage is about 24 to 25 MPG.

Think before you drive!
Old 8/1/06, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

claiming 20HP with a CAI and no tune is B.S. Youd be hard pressed to get much more then 20hp with a expensive CAI and Tune.
Old 8/1/06, 06:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
claiming 20HP with a CAI and no tune is B.S. Youd be hard pressed to get much more then 20hp with a expensive CAI and Tune.
Didn't say crank or RW HP. Crank HP possible.
Old 8/1/06, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think they tie in that 20+ HP with getting the X-pipe and mufflers too.
Old 8/2/06, 07:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
I think they tie in that 20+ HP with getting the X-pipe and mufflers too.
Actually, they don't count on Mufflers and X-Pipes in these claims. Airiad says 17 HP without extra adds like exhausts. Go to Airaid's website, and see for yourself. Heck, you can even go below, and see a thread about Airaid's system. I have it and it does work well, without a tune.
Old 8/2/06, 07:37 AM
Cobra R Member

That picture is of the prototype that S&B was supposed to make for ford racing. But they did not end up making a deal. You better email john bleakley for an actual picture. The ford Racing CAI that is actually being sold looks just like the steeda. Plain jane. You can buy one like that from S&B and put a Ford Racing Sticker if you want.

This is the one Ford Racing ended up selling. Steeda look a like, hint hint. LOL
Attached Images  
Old 8/2/06, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

OK. It was discovered that the CAI was made by S&B, as informed by MSF gurus as well. That being said, does anyone have the S&B set-up, and is it any good? I know that I mentioned 20HPs. I'm only reiterating what I've read from several sourses, specifically: RMP Outlet(see their site)- claiming 25HPs w/o a tune. Sure, I don't beleive everything I read so 10, 20, or 30 HPs doesn't really concern me. I'm only looking for some extra performance from a none-tuned CAI. To be honest, I like the looks. The extra 10 HPs that a tune may provide is not worth dealing with the warranty issues that will follow for NOW. I'm just taking little steps with simple mods, however, If I act like I usually do, and I hope that I don't, then I'll be adding a Saleen Supercharger, Seeda Suspension, Corsa Exhaust, FRPP Pullies, bla, bla, bla...

P.S. I already know FAST. My third vehicle is a CBR1000RR, sure- not a Hayabusa, but nonetheless my Mustang will be my SLOW ride no matter what I do to it. I know apples and oranges, maybe even elephants, BUT that's one fast a p p l e- and another forum.

F-150... lol
Old 8/3/06, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

well steetownstang, I too liked this one to begine with. Even when you buy it from S&B, in the instructions it shows Ford Racing Badging. So this was going to be the frpp cai. But for some reason they couldnt strike the deal at the last minute. The only other CAI's that I am currently looking at for looks and performance are the C&L Racer intake which in my opinion looks a lot like this but beefier, but needs a tune. Then lately, granatelli is now producing a nice polished CAI that you can add nitrous ports on, and it does not require a tune. They have remapped the MAF sensor to take care of that issue. Sounds like a nice unit, but just came out so not any every day comments on it yet. But from what hes selling, tower braces, performance mods etc. seem to be of all high quality. So If you are looking for a non tuned version CAI that is supposed to have some good gains you may want to give granatelli a try. By remapping the MAF sensor properly you can get some good gains. Good luck with what ever you try. If you do go granatelli please post what you find out for the rest of us. Have a great one.
Old 8/4/06, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
well steetownstang, I too liked this one to begine with. Even when you buy it from S&B, in the instructions it shows Ford Racing Badging. So this was going to be the frpp cai. But for some reason they couldnt strike the deal at the last minute. The only other CAI's that I am currently looking at for looks and performance are the C&L Racer intake which in my opinion looks a lot like this but beefier, but needs a tune. Then lately, granatelli is now producing a nice polished CAI that you can add nitrous ports on, and it does not require a tune. They have remapped the MAF sensor to take care of that issue. Sounds like a nice unit, but just came out so not any every day comments on it yet. But from what hes selling, tower braces, performance mods etc. seem to be of all high quality. So If you are looking for a non tuned version CAI that is supposed to have some good gains you may want to give granatelli a try. By remapping the MAF sensor properly you can get some good gains. Good luck with what ever you try. If you do go granatelli please post what you find out for the rest of us. Have a great one.
You may want to look at the other big thread regarding Granatelli's CAI, apparently there are some differences with the 2007 models that prevent the current system from working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli
How many of you purchased your GMS parts for an 07 Mustang?

I did, and being the first to try something is not always best. I just got my 2007 GT Premium Vert in on the night of 2 Aug, and on the morning of 3 Aug my Granatelli CAI and STB arrived. I eagerly attempted to installed both, and quickly determined that contray to popular belief, there ARE changes to the 2007. First, the Single STB that DID fit over the Ford Engine Covers that are being retrofitted to 2005-2006's, will NOT fit over the Ford Engine Cover on the 2007. It wasn't even close to clearing the cover, and the mounting plates were not even touching the strut towers it was so high centered.

The CAI went on without any problems, and is a very well made piece. However, as soon as I pulled out of my driveway, the car immediately went into limp home mode. There are differences in the 2007 programming, it appears, that prevents the CAI in its current configuration from working on the 2007's. Needless to say, having gone 0-2 on Granatelli parts on my brand new car, I wasn't too happy. But, I called Granatelli, and spoke with Renee and Jim about my situation. Both gentlemen were very accomadating, and called me back numerous times to see if the issue could be rectified. Currently, I will be returning the STB as it won't work, and they are going to test a 2007 on Monday to update the programming to make it compatible with the 2007.

So, I hope the updated programming for the CAI works, and maybe they can even design a new STB that will work with the Ford Engine cover on the 2007's. But the company was willing to do whatever I wanted them to do to make it right, and never tried to blow me off or dodge responsibility, so I will stick with them and give them a try to make the CAI work.
Old 8/4/06, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Cold air intakes without tunes will almost always make your engine run lean. Probably will only affect your engine over long periods of time. Just a heads up. The tune is worth more in feel than the intake is in horsepower.
Old 8/5/06, 12:33 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,142 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by sodaman
That picture is of the prototype that S&B was supposed to make for ford racing. But they did not end up making a deal. You better email john bleakley for an actual picture. The ford Racing CAI that is actually being sold looks just like the steeda. Plain jane. You can buy one like that from S&B and put a Ford Racing Sticker if you want.

This is the one Ford Racing ended up selling. Steeda look a like, hint hint. LOL
The reason why, that deal fell through..Was according to FRPP, after they dyno tested the prototype, the A/F was considered as borderline lean, w/o any tuning..And as a result, Ford and S&B were unable to work out a solution, to correct for the A/F lean concerns.. As for the one, Ford racing ended up selling, that is a Steeda look alike, is concerned ?? That's because, it is a Steeda CAI..Steeda designs and engineers, the cold air kit, and allows Ford, to put their name on it..Both Ford and Steeda, share what is called, a transfer technology program, through (SEMA) In fact..I have the Steeda CAI, on my Mustang
Old 8/5/06, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

OK, Here's one for you techies. If a none-tune CAI runs a little lean, then would adding a higher octane gas help? Maybe 91?

Quick Reply: Ford Racing CAI(M-9600-S197)