GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowtech LT's for only $279

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/05, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by max2000jp@December 20, 2005, 4:47 PM
How do the welds have anything to do with making hp? The welds are external and I am sure the welds aren't poorly done. Sounds like Hooker is BSing to sell their more expensive line.
Look on the inside of the flanges where they bolt to the heads. Poor welds leave bumps inside the tubing restricting flow. This is true for the collector area as well, although generally to a lesser degree. I haven't seen the Hookers, but if you look at Kooks headers and compare to cheaper ones you can see the difference. When it comes to headers welds are more than cosmetic.
Old 12/20/05, 04:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 88blownstang@December 20, 2005, 4:59 PM
Look on the inside of the flanges where they bolt to the heads. Poor welds leave bumps inside the tubing restricting flow. This is true for the collector area as well, although generally to a lesser degree. I haven't seen the Hookers, but if you look at Kooks headers and compare to cheaper ones you can see the difference. When it comes to headers welds are more than cosmetic.
So basically you will never notice the difference in power?
Old 12/20/05, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

Max....

Hooker and Flowtech are owned by Holley. If a Holley rep tells me the difference between two of their brands I'll take it as completely unbiased.

You obviously dont know what goes into an exahust system to produce power. Welds (THAT ARE EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL) and bends can increase or decrease possible power production.

A good example of this can be found within the 05+ exhaust system, the bends are so smooth you wouldnt be able to find any additional power by just switching out the mid pipe like in year's past.

The quality of the welds is not only cosmetic, they have to be secure and tight to not allow exhaust leaks and help in power production.

Go read a book or two or do some research before you call out the more informed than yourself.

Im an hiney but you irk me sometimes.

-Dan
Old 12/20/05, 05:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@December 20, 2005, 5:46 PM
Max....

Hooker and Flowtech are owned by Holley. If a Holley rep tells me the difference between two of their brands I'll take it as completely unbiased.

You obviously dont know what goes into an exahust system to produce power. Welds (THAT ARE EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL) and bends can increase or decrease possible power production.

A good example of this can be found within the 05+ exhaust system, the bends are so smooth you wouldnt be able to find any additional power by just switching out the mid pipe like in year's past.

The quality of the welds is not only cosmetic, they have to be secure and tight to not allow exhaust leaks and help in power production.

Go read a book or two or do some research before you call out the more informed than yourself.

Im an hiney but you irk me sometimes.

-Dan
Yea because we all know a company won't try to pitch their higher priced model

I know a decent amount about making an efficient exhaust system. I asked a simple question. Welds are at about the bottom of the list to making power.

I am assuming that a brand new header won't leak, otherwise FlowTech is going to have a lot of angry customers. Plus it's very easy to hear a header leak, so that point of yours is nill.

If you are arguing about minute gains in regards to welds, I wouldn't call you well informed. Once we see one of these up close, we can judge the welds and construction. If there is a significant amount of penetration around the collectors, then you might be losing a slight bit of HP.
Old 12/20/05, 05:49 PM
FR500 Member

These are mild steel, not stainless. They are of a lesser grade of mild steel as found on the Hookers. The flanges are a different size as well. In fact these specs are the same as the P.O.S. I mentioned earlier.

It's not just about horsepower either. These may very well yield roughly the same numbers as a pair of Hookers, or other proven more expensive manufacturer's.

But is having them for only a year or 2 worth it?

Caveat Emptor people.
Old 12/20/05, 06:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@December 20, 2005, 6:52 PM
These are mild steel, not stainless. They are of a lesser grade of mild steel as found on the Hookers. The flanges are a different size as well. In fact these specs are the same as the P.O.S. I mentioned earlier.

It's not just about horsepower either. These may very well yield roughly the same numbers as a pair of Hookers, or other proven more expensive manufacturer's.

But is having them for only a year or 2 worth it?

Caveat Emptor people.
I stand corrected. It was stated earlier in the thread that both were constucted of the same material.
Old 12/20/05, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

You defiantly get what you pay for...My advise would be to buy the best quality headers you can afford as there not easily changed (the bolts would be a PIA to tighten all the time also). Not so much for pure power gains but for the long run in durability and performance. Cheap headers will not last long in the engine bay and will leak. If you have to get these I would have them professionally jet hot (ceramic) coated and buy good race gaskets and locking header bolts.