GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/15, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First upgrade???

I have a '05 gt with 95k haven't had the car very long and can't decide what performance mod to do first so I would like to ask what everyone else thinks I should do I have limited funds but any and all suggestions would be helpful I have built many old school engines but I've never built anything computerized thanks in advance
Old 8/18/15, 01:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
First upgrade???

CAI exhaust and a tune is a great start.
Old 8/18/15, 01:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest getting a tuner and a good tune. You will need one for any further mods anyway.
Old 8/18/15, 05:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Tunes are great and can really wake up our engines, but I started with suspension and wheels.
Old 8/18/15, 06:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Depending on your budget ... a tune will be great for a first mod & then you can add from there!

Here are a couple reviews to give you a sense of what a tune can do:

BLAKE
I was a bit unsure as to how this tuner would really do. I am a believer now! After installing a 93 octane race tune, twin 62mm throttle body, and a "Steeda" CAI....all i can say now is my car is a beast now. I highly recommend this tuner. easy to use, with simple on screen prompts, and more hp and torge, make it more than worth it!
LOVE IT!

Tuned by Steeda! This thing is an animal! Great tune. Idles very sedately, revs fall through the range freely (better than stock). Love it!
KUDOS TO STEEDA
I continue to be impressed by Steeda.

My requests for tune revisions are completed in 24 hours and more importantly, the tunes themselves are the gold standard.

I picked Steeda for it's reputation and I now know that reputation is well deserved.

I hope you take it for the complement it is when I tell you the throttle response and modulation is BMW-like. I have tried other tunes and without fail come back to Steeda because the throttle is perfect.

THE CAR JUST BEGS TO BE DRIVEN HARD
Awesome tune!!
Way better than Lund Tune .
The car just begs to be driven hard.
Fuel Mileage also improved.
Now time for the Headers and an Intake.
)

ANOTHER GOOD EXPERIENCE YET AGAIN
First thing I noticed was the throttle response is crisper... takes less pedal to get the car up to speed. Seems to want to accel with the slightest amount of gas. Midrange torque is increased by the butt meter and not just slightly...it's noticeable. Feels great and can't wait for the intake to get here and the tune for restrictor removed. I am assuming it will be another good experience yet again.

It does indeed feel more powerful in the low to mid-rpm ranges. It is a nice upgrade. I am most impressed with the tunes ability to retain stock driveability. There is no surging, no lurches from hanging RPMs, and power delivery feels more linear. I was worried about this due to past tuning experiences, but my worries were unfounded.I am not really interested in peak numbers, just how fun the car is to drive, so there probably won't be any dyno testing.

ADAM ELIA
Ordered this tuner from Steeda because of previous experience buying from Steeda and their reputation for solid tunes. Order fulfilled and shipped quickly. Have not been disappointed yet.
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/sct-mustang-x4....Y8yhpNma.dpuf
Let me know if I can help assist with a tuner.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/18/15, 06:47 AM

Tuners

Moat definitely could use some help deciding which shop to go with I'm pretty sure I am going with a sct tuner what shop tunes would you guys use
Old 8/18/15, 07:02 AM
Cobra Member

Steeda is a good reputable company with support in both tunes and parts. I'm running their sport springs.

American muscle is another company out there that lots use for both parts and tunes. A few have had some customer service issues, but I personally have had no problems with them, and they offer forum discount codes to members here which is nice.

Breenspeed offers parts and tunes also.

Late Model Restoration is another place for parts.

Just a few places to start looking and see what you like.
Old 8/18/15, 07:49 AM

Tunes

Has anyone used bama tunes I've read a lot about them they seem like a good company to me
Old 8/18/15, 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

First upgrade???

Yea, Bama is now owned by American Muscle. I'm running their tunes now along with a JLT air intake.
Old 8/18/15, 08:45 AM

how do you like the jlt intake
Old 8/18/15, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

First upgrade???

I like it. I had it painted body color before I installed it. The only issue was that the air box was a little tall and wouldn't allow the hood to close right, with the weather striping for the top installed. It's fine now though. A little settling in and some dremmeling of material off the top fixed the problem. I think when it was designed it was mocked up on a car without the hood insulation.
Attached Thumbnails First upgrade???-photo200.jpg  
Old 8/20/15, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Build from the ground up. Suspension and drive train firs,t and then add the power. It is a tried and true method of building a car. You can do the CAI and tuner first because you will need a tuner for future mods, but then start from the ground and build your way up. i would steer clear of BAMA. Though they have great customer service and I buy plenty of parts from them, but they just don't seem to have the tuning down like they should. I used to run BAMA tunes before AM bought them out and Doug was doing the tuning, but they have really gone down hill since then. Too many issues with simple things like headers and stuff they can't seem to figure out. I'm not saying you will have a horrible experience with them, everything might go hunky dory with them and you, I just know too many people that have issues with them. I think Doug might work for C&L but that was a long time ago.
Old 8/21/15, 09:11 AM
GT Member

I am a total newb at this thing - what is a Tune? How does it work and where does it connect with the engine. I need a class in mechanics 101. LOL
Old 8/21/15, 09:12 AM
GT Member

By the way our first mod will be next week when the Corsa GT500 Quad gets put in.
Old 8/21/15, 09:38 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by pretender
I am a total newb at this thing - what is a Tune? How does it work and where does it connect with the engine. I need a class in mechanics 101. LOL

A tune is new software uploaded via the OBDII port that tweaks timing, A/F ratios, etc. Most people load a new tune after installing a cold air intake (CAI) to take advantage of the car's improved breathing. Other mods that increase performance need a revised tune as well.