First oil change - help

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/05, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tx2005gt@January 29, 2005, 10:16 AM
it is not the 20 bucks
it is the moron at the quick lube who does not care about your car
they drain the oil for 5 minutes put the drain plug back in when it has not even stoped draining
then they use a cheap penzoil filter
charge you to grease your non greasable front end
i think that i will do it my self

Exactly!! IMO Quick lubes are bad. They crossthread drainplugs, under or overfill oil all the time and generally don't give a rats hieny about your car. Good lube shops are a thing of the past.
Old 2/1/05, 09:28 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 28, 2005, 10:31 PM

You might want to get a few more posts behind you before you "Moderate"!!!! I'm not "preaching", I'm trying to help members from making costly mistake's!! I try to alway's post to help and in a positive way. You read to much in to punctuation, it's there to help convey a message with a little emotion, nothing more....Leave MODERATING to the "MODERATORS" thier very very good on this site. Late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha... I feel bad I took so long to read this attempt at a flame.

After thinking about it, I have to agree with you, your abuse of the english language is totally acceptable. You aren't professing to be an intellectual.

I'm very proud of your 200+ posts and I did not attempt to "moderate" anything. I shared my opinion, an opinion that you just painstakingly expressed, is the right of every member on here.

You might want too address that high blood pressure issue. You seem to have become overly agitated. I would hate for you to collapse and find yourself unable to drive your new mustang.

Oh, and the car is running great. Thanks for asking.

Cheers.
Old 2/1/05, 04:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just read that oil link from another post, and discovered that Castrol markets SYNTEC as a full synthetic, but there are those in the industry that dispute it's classification as a true synthetic. Being curious, I did some more web searches and found quite a bit of discussion about it. Most of the discussion is way over my head, but the bottom line is that the oil is not what I thought it was. Looks like I am switching my choice to Mobil 1. What a bummer - I already bought 3 oil changes worth of Castrol. Hope I can return it.

Here is a link to the document that was contained in the other post:

Oil
Old 2/1/05, 06:16 PM
V6 Member

My read on the oil subject . Why use syn. only after breakin, syn oil creates so little friction, the rings will not seat . This will just cause more oil consumption.
Why not to change to syn oil after using dino oil. Dino oil breaks down creating a hard barrier between the gaskets and the oil . This causes the gasket to dry out. Changing to syn oil not only is superior to reduce friction ,but also has a great detergent property, cleaning the barrier of broken down oil. Which this leaves a dried out gasket to leak. This is not always the case , just something to consider.
The there is the cars that have factory fill using syn oil. Corvette and Porsche for a few . I read the factory puts breakin time on these engines.

Believe nothing you hear.
Half of what you see.
And have doubts about your-self.
Old 2/1/05, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT+February 1, 2005, 10:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05silverGT @ February 1, 2005, 10:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Vegasjay@January 28, 2005, 10:31 PM

You might want to get a few more posts behind you before you "Moderate"!!!! I'm not "preaching", I'm trying to help members from making costly mistake's!! I try to alway's post to help and in a positive way. You read to much in to punctuation, it's there to help convey a message with a little emotion, nothing more....Leave MODERATING to the "MODERATORS" thier very very good on this site. Late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha... I feel bad I took so long to read this attempt at a flame.

After thinking about it, I have to agree with you, your abuse of the english language is totally acceptable. You aren't professing to be an intellectual.

I'm very proud of your 200+ posts and I did not attempt to "moderate" anything. I shared my opinion, an opinion that you just painstakingly expressed, is the right of every member on here.

You might want too address that high blood pressure issue. You seem to have become overly agitated. I would hate for you to collapse and find yourself unable to drive your new mustang.

Oh, and the car is running great. Thanks for asking.

Cheers.
[/b][/quote]

I was not trying to "flame" you persay. The extra punctuation was for sarcasm purposses only. I just get a little tired of people feeling the need to "police" eachother. :cop: Your right though, everybody has thier own opinion, and the right to express it as they will. I deffinatley was just trying to help member's on this site with my post. If a couple of extra exlimation mark's or punctuation constitute's "preaching", then so be it. Duely Noted.

Oh, and my Bloodpreasure is great.Thanks for asking.....

BTW: How is your car?
Old 2/3/05, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

just my 2 cents, synthetic beilever

I have used mobil 1 oil since 1986, changed oil between 3000 & 5000mi. and have had zero problems related to oil, I have looked in several of these engines (oil pan off or rocker cover off) and they have looked like new with as much as 80,000 mi. synthetic after the break in period is always worth it if you can afford it. all of my veicles are driven hard in harsh conditions
Old 2/4/05, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by over's GT@February 3, 2005, 9:03 PM
just my 2 cents, synthetic beilever

I have used mobil 1 oil since 1986, changed oil between 3000 & 5000mi. and have had zero problems related to oil, I have looked in several of these engines (oil pan off or rocker cover off) and they have looked like new with as much as 80,000 mi. synthetic after the break in period is always worth it if you can afford it. all of my veicles are driven hard in harsh conditions
Same here. I'll switch to syn after a couple of oil changes. I think its worth it, and when it come down to it. Thats all that matters.
Old 7/18/05, 07:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 27, 2005, 9:44 PM
You guy's are over-filling your oil!!! When you pour in your new oil it does'nt all go right to the oil pan. Some of it lingers in oil passages and the crankcase ect. Thats why when you read your dip stick right after you change your oil it reads low. You need to fire up your motor after you finish your oil change let it warm up then shut it off. Then let it cool down a while then check it. It will be right on the money!! That will allow the oil to circulate, and return to the pan and give you an accurate reading on your dipstick. Over-filling the oil is worse on a motor than running it low!! It causes seals and gaskets to blow, and if to full the crankshaft slaps in the eccsesive oil in the pan reaking havok!! Also put 1/2 a quart (out of the 6 total) and put in your new oil filter. This will help lubricate the motor on start up!!
6 qts only brings it half way up the cross hatch area, and thats where I leave it, I think the dipstick is screwed up!