GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Finally taking the plunge on gears

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/06, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally taking the plunge on gears

Well, after about a year of debating if I really wanted to do it or not, and originally wanting 4.10's I decided to get gears. I am going with 3.73 I have an auto and as long as its not raining or snowing its what I drive to work and everything. Plus after reading Doug's (bamachips) experience it helped me decide as well. I am getting them done tomorrow at the dealer which is a ford racing dealer and shop as well. They are going to cost me a little more than a small shop would charge, but having them be the only place that has done work on my car if I need warranty work it shouldn't count against me as much.
Old 9/5/06, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

sweet...

i'm considering getting 3:73's..

let me know how it feels after you get it back. PM or post.. eihter way.
Old 9/5/06, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

dekujala, I'm curious, what did Doug at Bamachips say that convinced you to go with 3.73's?

By the way, I also have an auto and was thinking of 3.73's myself. I think you were smart to get the job done at a Ford dealer. Gears in a Mustang need to be put in by somebody with experience. The extra money will be worth it.
Old 9/5/06, 07:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan. I have an auto too and had 3.73's installed. Doug and Lidio both had trouble with the 4.10's in their autos. Some in here swear 4.10's are fine for an auto (to each their own) and there has been some very long threads discussing this topic. I wanted 4.10's at first too, but thanks to TMS I was able to make a good decision just as you did. Enjoy the gears. You will be able to tell a difference.
Old 9/5/06, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
dekujala, I'm curious, what did Doug at Bamachips say that convinced you to go with 3.73's?

By the way, I also have an auto and was thinking of 3.73's myself. I think you were smart to get the job done at a Ford dealer. Gears in a Mustang need to be put in by somebody with experience. The extra money will be worth it.
Read Dougs post in this thread, there was another thread where he went into more detail when he was looking to trade 4.10's for 3.55's but I dont know where that one is, but in short he said the 4.10's just werent performing properly as he would have thought for the gearing on the auto
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...&highlight=373

Hey OKLACOP am I going to need new tires, or did you already have upgraded rubber when you switched out your gears?
Old 9/5/06, 11:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dekujala
Read Dougs post in this thread, there was another thread where he went into more detail when he was looking to trade 4.10's for 3.55's but I dont know where that one is, but in short he said the 4.10's just werent performing properly as he would have thought for the gearing on the auto
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...&highlight=373

Hey OKLACOP am I going to need new tires, or did you already have upgraded rubber when you switched out your gears?
I already had BFGoodrigh G-Force KDW II's 255/45/18's on mustang tuning 18X9 Bullitts. I then sent my SCT XCALII back to lidio so he could refigure my tune w/ the 3.73's. Runs like a beast.
Old 9/6/06, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Still waiting for the shop to call and it be done, but sent an email to Doug at Bamachips this morning telling him I got 3.73 and asking for updated tunes (sure I know I can easily use the user adjustments but having it in the tune makes it easier) Just checked my email and got the new tunes already. Doug always comes through
Old 9/6/06, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well picked the car up tonight, didn't really have a straight road without a ton of traffic to test it out, but I definatly noticed a difference.
Only issue is I have a whine and howl. It whines slightly almost all the time but at real slow speeds, and when I let off the gas at higher speeds is when I get a howl. So looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if they can do something. I was so hoping everything would be fine. Hopefully they are able to adjust it and get rid of the howl and whine.
Old 9/8/06, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well took it back and they checked it out, they are ordering me a new ring and pinion to replace it. So have to bring the car back again next Tuesday when they get it.
Old 9/11/06, 01:17 PM
V6 Member

Hi, just wanted to throw my two cents' worth in.

I had the 3.73s installed about two months ago, along with most of the FRPP Drag Pack. The only major variance was that I went with the C&L CAI and the SCT2 Xcal tuner. I had my tune and all parts installed at CJ Pony Parts. It's great having them just a few miles from my house!

CJ's did a great job with the tune. I don't have any experience with the tunes by Doug or Lidio, but CJ's tune has worked very nicely for me. MUCH stronger acceleration with my automatic.

But, I didn't want to get into that. I'm sure lots of other people have already told you about this aspect of the gear change. What I wanted to do is share with you how it works and feels in extended highway cruising.

My wife and I just got back from putting 1800 miles on a trip to Canada and back in our pony. Our AVERAGE speed for the entire trip was 80 miles an hour. And we still got over 24 miles per gallon at that. The few times we kept our foot out of it, we got nearly 28 miles per gallon.

Overall, I think you will find the 3.73 gears an excellent compromise, offering considerably better acceleration than the 3.31 gearset while still maintaining good highway manners.
Old 9/11/06, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

Dude, is that really your signature?
Old 9/11/06, 02:03 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by freebass55
lol !!
Old 9/11/06, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

will gears void the warranty?
Old 9/11/06, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freebass55
LOL... no kidding. And I thought mine was too long...
Old 9/12/06, 05:54 AM
V6 Member

Yeah, that was my signature. Here's a condensed version of it. I don't need another website to list my goodies at.

Gears shouldn't void your warranty. You would have to have a drivetrain problem that could be directly linked to them for that to happen.

Just be sure to get a good set of gears, like the ones from Ford Racing, and have them put in by a shop that knows what they're doing. Properly installed gears should work as smoothly and quietly as the original factory gears. Mine do.

Like I said in my original post, you'll find the 3.73 gears are an excellent compromise. Improved acceleration and still decent highway manners and mileage.
Old 9/14/06, 03:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks ddd1968rt! I got the extended warranty, would hate to ruin it by doing a mod. Now I just have to choose between 3.73s or 4.10s. My chevelle is supposed to be my drag car and it has 4.10s in it with a 3 speed. My 07 Mustang GT/CS is going to be my daily driver, but I also want to drag it every once and a while. I do alot of highway driving on my days off so I don't know if 4.10s are going to be too steep. what do you guys think?