GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Fail Safe!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/06, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fail Safe!! Help!!

Ok,

First I have had my GT since Oct of 04 and have never had a fail safe problem. Last weekend I had a friend install some HID's in my headlights. He ended up not using alot of the wiring that came with the kit. Everything was fine and good to go. Then this past Monday I was getting off the highway and making a right turn when my car went into fail safe and I could barely move my steering wheel. Well I got home and called my friend (he installed my gears and LT headers) he checked my gears and looked for trouble codes but found nothing wrong. He says it may be my tune. then yesterday it happened again twice while on my way to the tatoo shop. Now his friend is a tech at one of the local ford dealerships and I'm gonna take it there on monday to have them do a diagnostic check. I was running Bamachips 93 performance tune for mnths now with no problem. My question is could it have been how my lights were hooked up? My friend says no way..he did also mention he had move my JLT CAI because one of the HID ballasts was hitting it. I read one of of the forums that changing the position of the MAF sensor can cause a fail safe. I changed to Dougs 93 torqe tune to see if that makes a difference. I'm really freaking out now cause I'm worried about taking my car to ford and having them give me crap for my mods. Any one have any idea's or suggestions???
Old 7/29/06, 11:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

one trying seeing if you can move the JLT as close to as it was before then pull the negative cable off the battery wait 30min to an hour then put it back on and re-enter your tunes it should work if not then someone else here should be able to help
Old 7/30/06, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Now when I had the HID's install the battery eventually went dead and they had to give it a boast. Could this have messed with my tune?? I disconnected the battery and put Doug's 93 tourqe tune to see if that was any better. Well I went for a fdrive and at least I didnt go into fail safe... however when I got back I realized my bottom billet grill had somehow fallen off!! I went and retraced where I was twice and cant find the freakin thing!! SO now ontop of everything else I have to go get a new billet grill!! Man when it rains it pours!!!!!
Old 7/30/06, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok 1 do you have the IUP if yes then press Select then Reset and check your chargeing system if it says ok then yeah it is your HID's that is wired wrong and you have to trace the problem back to the wireing....and dang that sucks
Old 7/31/06, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

No I dont have the IUP feature.. can ford check the system to see if the HID"S are drawing to much power?? I still have my factory warrenty plus the extended warrenty, would that cover the diagnostic work for this? Now I have to order another grill!! man last few days have been bad!! Wonder if maybe someone put a voodoo curse on me or my car!!!
Old 7/31/06, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the HIDs are not a factory item, they nor anything related to them would be covered under the warranty. I suppose you could bring it in and keep quiet about the HID lamp work and hope for the best but if the problem relates to those and they notice the change then you are going to have to pay.
Old 7/31/06, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shatter
Since the HIDs are not a factory item, they nor anything related to them would be covered under the warranty. I suppose you could bring it in and keep quiet about the HID lamp work and hope for the best but if the problem relates to those and they notice the change then you are going to have to pay.
that's what I'm afraid of... I'm gonna go tomorrow to Ford. The guy who installed the HID's will have his friend there check my car. I drove today and the car started to feel a little better but them I was trying to make a right hand turn when all of a sudden my steering wheel started to lock up... this is only happening when I am making turns I have noticed... could it be my pwer steering pump?? I have read on this forum of some people having problems. I really dont want to have to put my stock air intake back on... but at this point I dont see any other alternative. Doug.. if you see this.. any suggestions?
Old 8/1/06, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by superman112
that's what I'm afraid of... I'm gonna go tomorrow to Ford. The guy who installed the HID's will have his friend there check my car. I drove today and the car started to feel a little better but them I was trying to make a right hand turn when all of a sudden my steering wheel started to lock up... this is only happening when I am making turns I have noticed... could it be my pwer steering pump?? I have read on this forum of some people having problems. I really dont want to have to put my stock air intake back on... but at this point I dont see any other alternative. Doug.. if you see this.. any suggestions?
Like I suggested in the email I would reinstall the stock air intake and return it all to stock before going into the dealer to see if it still does it. This would rule out the X-cal as well as when you take it to the dealer they wouldn't have as much to gripe about. They are going to be looking for WHATEVER they can to deny any warrenty claim.

Just let me know how I can help.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/1/06, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah.. just called them.. say they can see it Friday.. so tonight I'm gonna go back to the stock intake. Hey Doug.. could I get a tune just to fix the speedo??? Is that even possible? Thanks again for answering my email so late by the way. See that's why Doug's the man!!
Old 8/1/06, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

well.. after doing some research on the warrenty section of this forum and others I am leaning towards it being either my fuel pump (there's a TSB) or my throttle body. I dont want anyone to think I was blaming Dougs tunes cause I have also said he's the best when it comes to service... I just wanted to elinimate the obvious things so I could pin point what was going on... once I get this fixed I'm gonna get Dougs race tune and see what my GT can do!! Should be sweet!!!!! I go on Friday to Ford. Wish me luck and thanks to everyone with ideas and suggestions.