GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Error Codes... ?

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/06, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yesterday, I had a check engine light come on. I disconnected the battery, and it went away. The CEL did not show up as I was driving to work this morning, but it came back this afternoon. I used the X2 and found out the codes are:

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent

One website I found shows the following:

Fault Code - 0340
Circuit Index - CMP
Condition Description - Camshaft pos sensor ckt malfunction
Comments - No CMP sensor signal detected during crank
Probable Causes - Open/grounded circuit, sensor fault, short to power

Fault Code - 0344
Circuit Index - CMP
Condition Description - Camshaft pos sensor ckt intermittent
Comments - Incorrect number of CMP transition counts
Probable Causes - Harness routing, charging ckt, sensor, int ckt, improper gap

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what it means, or how I can correct it. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 2/13/06, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you need a new camshaft sensor.
Old 2/13/06, 09:30 PM

Any idea where it is located? Maybe I have a loose connection. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maby all the mad low end TQ shook something loose [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

I have no idea [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] but I would like to know as well...
Old 2/13/06, 11:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blazing Saddles @ February 13, 2006, 8:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Maybe not.

I have the same problem. I checked the cam sensors they were OK. I checked the wiring to the cam sensors and they were OK. I then found out that RFI (radio frequency interference) can cause these codes to pop up. The main sources for RFI in a car is the ignition or motors. My next step was to pull all the coil packs and look at the connectors for the plugs to see if there was any evidence of arcing, there was none. My next check was the heater blower motor. I drove around with the heater off and got no codes. I turned the heater back on and the codes came back. I cleared the codes started the car with the heater off, as soon as I turned the heater on the code poped up.

I'm going to try a snap on ferrite choke on the wires coming out of the heater blower motor and see if this contains the RFI emissions. Stay tuned for the results.
[/b][/quote]

That's bizarre George... I'll keep that in mind.

Anyway, I went out and took a look, and found one of the intercooler hoses rubbing up against the driver's side sensor. I can't tell if it has rubbed through the insulation of the wiring or not. I isolated the hose and disconnected the battery, so I'll see if the CEL comes back tomorrow or not. If it does, I'll visit my friendly Ford dealer and get a replacement. If that doesn't work, I'll try the RFI angle.
Old 2/14/06, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are the Cam Position sensors the sensors located under the cam covers? Just curious?
Old 2/14/06, 08:49 AM

George was kind enough to post this pic for me at ModularFords.com. The red arrows show the Camshaft Position Sensors in question here. George, is the yellow arrow the solenoid that controls the variable cam timing you just mentioned above??

BTW... no CEL this morning on the way to work... so far, so good. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Old 2/15/06, 04:57 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blazing Saddles @ February 15, 2006, 3:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well the ferrite choke on the heater blower motor wires didn't work I'm still getting the codes. P0340 & P0344 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Strange... any ideas what next??

BTW, mine popped back on yesterday afternoon... P0340. When I got home and looked under the hood, the IC hose had moved back up against the sensor (guess I didn't isolate it too well). So, for now, I zip-tied the hose away from the sensor. I'll see if the CEL comes back.
Old 2/15/06, 06:58 PM

My CEL came on again driving home from work today... P0340 again. And nothing is touching the sensor or the wiring. And the heater wasn't on.

George... you said you checked your sensors/wiring and found them to be OK. How did you check them?
Old 2/15/06, 09:32 PM

Thanks George!! And no, the engine seems to be running fine. I drove it 20+ miles to work this morning, no light. Then, after about 15 miles back home tonight, I got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. That's when it came on.
Old 2/15/06, 09:58 PM

I could try that, but I'm not getting a continuous code. Like I said, it took 35 miles of driving today (probably 45-50 minutes altogether) for it to appear again.

BTW, under DR2 of the procedure you posted, it sayd to "GO to Z1" if the answer is No. I don't see Z1 anywhere? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 05:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blazing Saddles @ February 16, 2006, 4:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well mine has gotten worse. The codes are popping up with the heater off. Time to load the shotgun and put out that CEL for good. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Z1 refers to the diagnostic scanner Ford uses. If you have the codes present it doesn't apply.
[/b][/quote]

Does yours run OK with the CEL? Or is it running bad?

DR2 of the diagnostic says:

ยท Key in ON position.
ยท Clear the PCM DTCs.
ยท Key on engine running.
ยท Increase engine speed to greater than 1,500 RPM for 10 seconds.
ยท Repeat this 3 times.
ยท Retrieve the continuous memory DTCs.

I'm going to run this tonight, but I'll be surprised if it throws a code doing that... that's why I asked about Z1.

Quick Reply: Error Codes... ?