GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Engine breakin

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/05, 07:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out this article Outdoorstom (Tom) sent me, I decided to make a thread out of this to get more knowledge and all of your valuable opinions. I should be receiving my car in a few weeks and I am very concerned about the proper and the best breakin proceedure.
Here is the link http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 4/22/05, 08:01 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty interesting info. I know I drove mine hard, definately not what the manual suggested, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the long run.
Old 4/22/05, 08:21 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too - (drove it hard). I lit up the tires on the test drive (3 miles on the odo) and on the way out of the dealership (10 miles on the odo) Didn't redline it, but I certainly went wide open throttle quite often for the first 500 miles. That article says the first 20 miles are the most important... don't baby it on the drive home!

Mine seems to be doing well so far.
Old 4/22/05, 08:46 AM
GT Member

hmmmm... interesting.
Old 4/22/05, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd be interested in knowing what break-in procedures the factory puts our engines through before they roll off the assembly line.
Old 4/22/05, 09:24 AM
GT Member

I don't think they actually do anything with the aim to break it in. If anything, they throw it on a dyno to make sure everything works.
Old 4/22/05, 10:32 AM
GT Member

ArghHHHH!!!!!!!, I'm slightly upset after reading that article. :bang: The first 120 miles on my car were mostly highway driven from dealership to my residence and my dad actually brought the car and he said he did get on it a lot in the first miles, but it still worries me. My friend said if I wanted to he could re hone the cylinders and install new rings for free and I'd just have to pay the cost of the rings, but how much of a project would it be to rip the engine apart? Is it something myself and him could do without a certified technican or mechanic? He does all kinds of machining and engine work, but I wouldn't consider OUR engines to be one of his expertises.

Tell me what you think, would it be worth the trouble to re hone the cylinders and put new rings on?
Old 4/22/05, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by NickS@April 22, 2005, 10:35 AM
ArghHHHH!!!!!!!, I'm slightly upset after reading that article. :bang: The first 120 miles on my car were mostly highway driven from dealership to my residence and my dad actually brought the car and he said he did get on it a lot in the first miles, but it still worries me. My friend said if I wanted to he could re hone the cylinders and install new rings for free and I'd just have to pay the cost of the rings, but how much of a project would it be to rip the engine apart? Is it something myself and him could do without a certified technican or mechanic? He does all kinds of machining and engine work, but I wouldn't consider OUR engines to be one of his expertises.

Tell me what you think, would it be worth the trouble to re hone the cylinders and put new rings on?
I imagine I could find fifty other articles that take the exact opposite approach to engine break-in. I really don't think you should even consider re-doing the rings! Every car I have ever had has gone over 150,000 miles, and I bought all of them used, and none ever started to burn oil. I don't think they were ripped during break-in either, being station wagons.
Old 4/22/05, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove mine like a "Bat outta heck" as I pulled out of the dealership! Changed the oil after 20 miles (Had 7 on it when I drove off the lot). Using all Synthetic oil (5-20) and changed to oil after another 500, 100, 3000 and 5000. Over 5K now and no issues what so ever...
Old 4/22/05, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Ahhh....the everpresent "Engine Break in Method" debate.....you think this is bad for autos.....should see the heated debate over on the sportbike forums...from what I've read (again I'm no expert)....just use common sense and try to vary the load on your engine so it will seat quicker - but these engines are assembled with tolerances that don't really have to be "broken in" a certain way - as long as you don't abuse the engine in any serious/prolonged way - you are going to be OK.....

I wouldn't even think of tearing this engine down and installing new rings - as you will probably never have any issues - but wait until something breaks until you fix it.
Old 4/22/05, 10:01 PM
V6 Member

I took the car up to about 130 the second week i had it. The car had about 400 miles on it. Its been ran pretty hard so far, and it gets floored a lot from stoplights. Especially if there are girls in the car next to me. I don't know if there is a right or a wrong way to break in an engine, and even if there are problems down the road, how would you ever know if it was due to a break in period. My theory is: enjoy the car. I admire anyone who can get a brand new car, with the power that this car has, and not drive the heck out of it.

-Dave
Old 4/22/05, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hazedav@April 22, 2005, 10:04 PM
I took the car up to about 130 the second week i had it. The car had about 400 miles on it. Its been ran pretty hard so far, and it gets floored a lot from stoplights. Especially if there are girls in the car next to me. I don't know if there is a right or a wrong way to break in an engine, and even if there are problems down the road, how would you ever know if it was due to a break in period. My theory is: enjoy the car. I admire anyone who can get a brand new car, with the power that this car has, and not drive the heck out of it.

-Dave
B) Dude ... if there is a girl in the car next to you, especially if she's pretty, you want her to see you and the car as long as possible for future opportunities.... slow down... don't run away showing you A#@. Only race away from ricers, wannabees and uugglies
Old 4/23/05, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by woody1+April 23, 2005, 12:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woody1 @ April 23, 2005, 12:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hazedav@April 22, 2005, 10:04 PM

-Dave
B) Dude ... if there is a girl in the car next to you, especially if she's pretty, you want her to see you and the car as long as possible for future opportunities.... slow down... don't run away showing you A#@. Only race away from ricers, wannabees and uugglies
[/b][/quote]

Hot chick in car: "Hey nice . . . . "
<green light> VROOOOOOOMMMM
Hot chick in car: "Well, I WAS going to give him my number!"
Old 4/23/05, 11:41 AM

My car just hit 1000 miles, Actually hit it going down the track at the drags at about 6500RPM.Since 2 Miles it never has been below 6000 :drive: Hit the rev limit many times.Accidently shifted into second at 100 MPH.A few donuts.Just about everything you shouldnt have done.She runs perfect.No problems with motor at all.
When cars come off the assembly line they hold the engine almost to redline for a time period to check them out.Rings seat pretty fast.With a 5SPD you are going all threw the rpm ranges all the time,so they brake in quicker.Automatics will tend to stay at rpms longer.
As for the guy wanting to rehone your engine........(Are you friggen nuts?)I am sure your buddy is going to use Honning torque plates.Doubt it..IF IT ISNT BROKE LEAVE IT ALONE
Old 4/23/05, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

engine break in isnt what it use to be...
Old 4/23/05, 01:41 PM
GT Member

I'm not friggin nuts, just got paranoid after reading that article!!! I'm definitely not goin to do it, but at the time the only thing going through my mind was perfection. Rehoning the cylinders is the only thing to do to achieve it according to that article. Anyways, the car is and has always run fine. Just a spur of the moment type thought. My buddy does know what he's doing though, trust me on that, he started out when he was 16 and now is a full time machinist and on top of that he's a perfectionist. I'd trust him with my life!
Old 4/23/05, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

just a darn scare tactic

dont worry about it, enjoy the car, and not worry so much about what people say

i could type up a website that would tell you the only way to make it last is to drive it min 1 hour at a time to ovoid rust build up in the cylnders

engine breakin isnt as critical as it was in years past, machineing tolerances and materials have advanced a lil bit in the past 50 years...