GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dyno Runs: Hydrocarbon Trap

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/04, 06:42 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well before I removed the HC trap I was getting an average 18.3 MPG. After driving 1,000 miles in 2 days without the trap I now get an average of 22.8 MPG. Nice improvement if you ask me.
Old 12/10/04, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 2005RedGT@December 9, 2004, 4:16 PM

I had mine retuned w/o the trap and have have zero errors. now, my service engine light is from the Cold Air Kit, but it runs fine.
Since I am new to mod's, how do you get the light to turn off?
Old 12/10/04, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I took the car to a dyno today to get a good baseline. This shop uses a Mustang dynometer. Here are the results:

First pull: 100% stock down to the paper air filter, 91 octane gas.

HP: 255.7@5250
TQ: 265.6@4250

For the next pull, I removed the hydrocarbon trap located in air inlet. If you want to see what that is go here

HP: 261.2@5250
TQ: 269@4250

On the final run, we removed the paper element:

HP: 261.1@5250

As you can see, the stupid HC trap was worth around 5hp/4tq at the wheels, while removing the air filter had little effect.

These numbers assumed a 19% loss through the drivetrain, so by my calculations, the car is putting out around 323-324 at the flywheel. (A little more than advertised by Ford).

I had planned to install the Steeda underdrives today, but it seems the kit was missing a special bolt. I figure with those installed and a performance reflash, the car should put down near 290rwhp. Not bad. Remember, my car is an automatic.
Old 12/10/04, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're supposed to use 87 octane for stock. I'm not sure using 91 octane in stock 05 GT will give any improvements - might make it worse actually.
Old 12/10/04, 07:32 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by LordBritish@December 10, 2004, 8:30 PM
You're supposed to use 87 octane for stock. I'm not sure using 91 octane in stock 05 GT will give any improvements - might make it worse actually.
I have always run at least 91 octane in my Mustangs. I did not expect to gain anything from having it in there. I seriously doubt it would be detrimental.
Old 12/10/04, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unless you've tuned your 05 Stang, using 91 octane is just wasting money.

I highly doubt the 05 Stang computer is smart enough to detect different octanes and automatically optimize timings based on that.
Old 12/10/04, 07:45 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LordBritish@December 10, 2004, 8:39 PM

I highly doubt the 05 Stang computer is smart enough to detect different octanes and automatically optimize timings based on that.
I completely agree. It has actually been proven that if you run a higher octane all of the time you can damage the seals on the engine. I only run 87 octane. No need to run anything higher.
Old 12/10/04, 08:22 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by GarageLogic@December 10, 2004, 6:25 PM
Okay, I took the car to a dyno today to get a good baseline. This shop uses a Mustang dynometer. Here are the results:

First pull: 100% stock down to the paper air filter, 91 octane gas.

HP: 255.7@5250
TQ: 265.6@4250

For the next pull, I removed the hydrocarbon trap located in air inlet. If you want to see what that is go here

HP: 261.2@5250

On the final run, we removed the paper element:

HP: 261.1@5250

As you can see, the stupid HC trap was worth around 5hp/4tq at the wheels, while removing the air filter had little effect.

These numbers assumed a 19% loss through the drivetrain, so by my calculations, the car is putting out around 323-324 at the flywheel. (A little more than advertised by Ford).

I had planned to install the Steeda underdrives today, but it seems the kit was missing a special bolt. I figure with those installed and a performance reflash, the car should put down near 290rwhp. Not bad. Remember, my car is an automatic.
Interesting....good numbers. Thank you!
Old 12/11/04, 06:17 AM

In my experience, the motor runs cleaner and smoother on high test fuel.
Old 12/11/04, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by adrenalin+December 10, 2004, 9:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adrenalin @ December 10, 2004, 9:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-LordBritish@December 10, 2004, 8:39 PM

I completely agree. It has actually been proven that if you run a higher octane all of the time you can damage the seals on the engine. I only run 87 octane. No need to run anything higher.[/b][/quote]
I'm glad nobody told my 03 Cobra that or all the seals would be gone by now. 93 octane for 26000 miles.

It won't hurt the engine but it is a waste of money and unnecessary unless you are running boost, high compression, or have a detonation problem. An aggressive(lean) tune will need higher octane to keep detonation from being a problem.
Old 12/11/04, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have info on how "smart" the new computers are? Some will advance timing based on grade of the fuel, in conjunction from feedback received from the knock sensor. If the new Mustang has a similar setup, then using 91 octane *would* result in more power.
Old 12/11/04, 08:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Import-Slaya@December 11, 2004, 8:24 AM
Does anyone have info on how "smart" the new computers are? Some will advance timing based on grade of the fuel, in conjunction from feedback received from the knock sensor. If the new Mustang has a similar setup, then using 91 octane *would* result in more power.
My '95 SHO was "Premium Fuel Recommended. It was set up to run on 93 but if you put in 91 or 89 it would set the timing back to compensate. Since the '05 Stang isn't designated as "Premium Fuel Recommended", it problably isn't setup to take adavantage of premium fuel. I've never heard of car that lists 87 as the proper fuel but would detect higher octane. Premium fuels used to contain better detergents and additives but that's no longer the case. I personally don't think there's any advantage to running premium in car designed to run on 87.
Old 12/11/04, 12:41 PM
GT Member

Well, I have ran into my first glitch. I received my Xcalibrator and tune from Ray yesterday afternoon and reflashed the CPU. Everyhting worked flawlessly with the unit, and the car started up fine with the new calibrations. However, no sooner had I put it in drive and started to pull out of the driveway, two warning lights illuminated. Check Engine icon and Electonic Throttle icons. As soon as that happened, the car went into limp mode.

I pulled over and returned the calbration to stock, which is where it is now. I emailed Ray to let him know and he called me back almost immediately. He has a call into SCT now to see what may have caused my issues, and once that has been determined, he will take car of me. (Great guy, BTW) As far as I know, I am the first person to post an issue regarding an '05 reflash. par for the course it seems. sad.gif
Well, after getting the gear installed and some dyno runs in yesterday, I turned my attention back to the XCalibrator issue. Just for the heck of it, I re-installed the tune Ray had sent me and , voila, this time it took. I have driven about 30-40 miles without any issues. Much better throttle response, and the shifts are nice and firm. No CE light no problems with the electronic throttle and, best of all, the speedo reads correct now.

Good thing I filled up with Premium instead of Regular, huh?!
Old 12/11/04, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, GarageLogic, I'm thinking about getting my auto 05 GT tuned with this SCT XCalibrator.

Do you reccomend going some place to get it tuned or should I simply buy this box and flash it myself ?
Old 12/11/04, 02:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by GarageLogic@December 11, 2004, 2:44 PM
Well, I have ran into my first glitch. I received my Xcalibrator and tune from Ray yesterday afternoon and reflashed the CPU. Everyhting worked flawlessly with the unit, and the car started up fine with the new calibrations. However, no sooner had I put it in drive and started to pull out of the driveway, two warning lights illuminated. Check Engine icon and Electonic Throttle icons. As soon as that happened, the car went into limp mode.

I pulled over and returned the calbration to stock, which is where it is now. I emailed Ray to let him know and he called me back almost immediately. He has a call into SCT now to see what may have caused my issues, and once that has been determined, he will take car of me. (Great guy, BTW) As far as I know, I am the first person to post an issue regarding an '05 reflash. par for the course it seems. sad.gif
Well, after getting the gear installed and some dyno runs in yesterday, I turned my attention back to the XCalibrator issue. Just for the heck of it, I re-installed the tune Ray had sent me and , voila, this time it took. I have driven about 30-40 miles without any issues. Much better throttle response, and the shifts are nice and firm. No CE light no problems with the electronic throttle and, best of all, the speedo reads correct now.

Good thing I filled up with Premium instead of Regular, huh?!
Will the Xcalibrator adjust the temp at which the cooling fan kicks on?
Old 12/11/04, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

My HC trap fell out today

I also gave "Sally" a good waxing.

I used "Mother's Canoba Wax" - It looks pretty good.

I'm tired now
Old 12/11/04, 11:17 PM
GT Member

Will the Xcalibrator adjust the temp at which the cooling fan kicks on?
Yes, that is one of many things your tuner can do through the Xcalibrator. Just a clarification about the XCalibrator. It is not a tuning tool, it is merely a device that allows you to reflash the CPU with a different set of data elements you receive from the tuner of your choice. Go to www.sctflash.com and you can see a link which lists the shops in your area who can provide tunes for your application.
Old 12/11/04, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

So how does this SCT tuning work. Do you have to purchase this XCalibrator flash tool or can you merely "borrow" the tuner's flash tool ?

And do you even need a tuner, can't you just order the flash tool with whatever setting you want?

Sorry for so many n00b questions but I'm interested in doing this and you've done it
Old 12/12/04, 08:53 AM
GT Member

The XCalibrator is only the device. Anyone can buy one, but the device itself does not allow the buyer to make their own changes to the CPU. In order to to that, you will need someone with the SCT software (i.e. a tuner) to load a "program", containing the different changes you would like to see, into your unit. The consumer can then "reflash" the CPU on their own.

The XCalibrator does not allow the end user to make their own changes. I figure in the next few weeks/months there will be tools available that do.

I hope this helps.
Old 12/12/04, 04:01 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The knock sensors should let the timing advance more with premium, unless timing already maxes out with the factory calibrations. If that is the case you really are wasting your money on premium unless you reflash with more timing advance.

According to the '05 Mustang manual

Octane recommendations
Your vehicle is designed to use
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Fuel quality
If you are experiencing starting, rough idle or hesitation driveability
problems, try a different brand of unleaded gasoline. “Premium”
unleaded gasoline is not recommended for vehicles designed to use
“Regular” unleaded gasoline because it may cause these problems to
become more pronounced.

Quick Reply: Dyno Runs: Hydrocarbon Trap