GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Driveline vibration

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/08, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well I know that your driveshaft is spinning faster at any given speed with those 4:10's then mine is with the stock 3:31 gears. I wonder what the rpm difference is between yours and mine say at 70 mph.
Scott

60 mph is around 2100; 70 mph is about 2450 with the 4.10's.
Old 6/2/08, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Wonder if the vibration problems might go away with a watts link system vs. the adjustable panhard? I mean, the PJ has the aluminum driveshaft and the watts and I don't think they have any vibration issues... thoughts?
Old 6/2/08, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible that some of these vibration issues are do to a bad pinion gear?
Old 6/2/08, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

I called Ron Leonard (The SpyderShaft guy) on saturday and he returned my call on sunday. He said he has been getting some funky stuff from Dana spicer lately. He said he would put a flange on the lathe today and make sure it was right, and send it to me right away. he also said if that does not fix the issue he would set up a driveline and run it on his car to make sure it is perfect and send it out to me. That is some good customer service right there.
Old 6/2/08, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

Since they are saying that the main factor for vibrations are suspension mods and adjustable panhards, would a watts link setup in the rear eliminate all that?
What about this one? http://www.griggsracing.com/product_...roducts_id=575

It looks like it's much less than Saleen's and it's adjustable (but on a watts setup, not a panhard setup).
Old 6/2/08, 01:54 PM

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but why does Shaftmasters no longer list a 05-08 GT drive shaft on their website. They currently only offer a 1 piece AL for the V6 according to their site. Interesting in purchasing to get rid of my nasty clunking soon.
Old 6/2/08, 02:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 08Alloy
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but why does Shaftmasters no longer list a 05-08 GT drive shaft on their website. They currently only offer a 1 piece AL for the V6 according to their site. Interesting in purchasing to get rid of my nasty clunking soon.

I noticed that as well when I looked, I'm guessing you'll have to call to order one.
Old 6/2/08, 02:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Faber
I called Ron Leonard (The SpyderShaft guy) on saturday and he returned my call on sunday. He said he has been getting some funky stuff from Dana spicer lately. He said he would put a flange on the lathe today and make sure it was right, and send it to me right away. he also said if that does not fix the issue he would set up a driveline and run it on his car to make sure it is perfect and send it out to me. That is some good customer service right there.

I agree with Faber. When I had my issue with my install (totally my fault BTW) Ron sent me a new pinion flange at no cost. I couldn't ask for any better service either.
Old 6/2/08, 02:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
Wonder if the vibration problems might go away with a watts link system vs. the adjustable panhard? I mean, the PJ has the aluminum driveshaft and the watts and I don't think they have any vibration issues... thoughts?
I think Shaftmasters, either in this thread or another one, specifically stated that installing their driveshaft with a watts link posed a risk of vibration. That is what caused me to make my earlier comment, that I would rather have the watts link as opposed to an aftermarket driveshaft where to my knowledge there is no dyno proof of an increase in horsepower from the aftermarket driveshaft.
Old 6/2/08, 02:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Supercharger
to my knowledge there is no dyno proof of an increase in horsepower from the aftermarket driveshaft.
reducing rotating mass in the drivetrain does not increase horsepower or torque, but reduces the amount of work that has to be done to transmit power from the trans to the diff. the result is better acceleration, quicker revs, and a less sluggish feeling drive.
Old 6/2/08, 04:11 PM
GT Member

reducing rotating mass in the drivetrain does not increase horsepower or torque, but reduces the amount of work that has to be done to transmit power from the trans to the diff. the result is better acceleration, quicker revs, and a less sluggish feeling drive.
If you reduce the amount of effort taken to transfer that power wouldnt you see an increase at the wheel's?

I know you wont see an increase in crank HP but to me it seems kinda of like UDP's where you reduce the parasitic loss therefore your transferring more power to the crank. With the DS you reduce the loss by putting in a lighter shaft which takes less power to turn so therefore that power should show up at the wheel's shouldnt it?
Old 6/2/08, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Does anyone know if this Pinion Flange will work with the Spydershaft?

In my mind this would be the way to go.

http://www.performanceparts.ford.com...tKeyField=7652

Old 6/2/08, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
If you reduce the amount of effort taken to transfer that power wouldnt you see an increase at the wheel's?

I know you wont see an increase in crank HP but to me it seems kinda of like UDP's where you reduce the parasitic loss therefore your transferring more power to the crank. With the DS you reduce the loss by putting in a lighter shaft which takes less power to turn so therefore that power should show up at the wheel's shouldnt it?
well your motor is not going to make more power at the crank with a driveline change, as it would when you reduce parasitic loss caused by accesories which cause drag on the engine. I see what you are saying, but I think the way it is measured is with a scale rather than a dyno. basically you are reducing the force required to accelerate the vehicle, and causing acceleration to take place at a faster rate. you definately feel the difference.

look at it this way: if you remove 500 pounds of weight from your car will it reflect on the dyno? will it run the 1/4 mile faster?
Old 6/2/08, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Does anyone know if this Pinion Flange will work with the Spydershaft?

In my mind this would be the way to go.

http://www.performanceparts.ford.com...tKeyField=7652

Richard that looks like the one I got with my Sydershaft. I believe it is the pinion flange that the V6 stangs come with but I may just be getting old.
Scott
Old 6/2/08, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

well your motor is not going to make more power at the crank with a driveline change, as it would when you reduce parasitic loss caused by accesories which cause drag on the engine. I see what you are saying, but I think the way it is measured is with a scale rather than a dyno. basically you are reducing the force required to accelerate the vehicle, and causing acceleration to take place at a faster rate. you definately feel the difference.

look at it this way: if you remove 500 pounds of weight from your car will it reflect on the dyno? will it run the 1/4 mile faster?

Well said Johnny. The gains from the lighter aluminum driveshafts will not show up on the dyno but will show up on your 60 foot or 1/4 times. And YES you can feel the change in you butt-o-meter!!!
Scott
Old 6/2/08, 06:06 PM
GT Member

That makes sense I can see that................I clicked on the link for the pinion flange and it said its original equip. for an 03-04 cobra. I didnt look very hard but thats the only one I saw on the frpp site. They say it works on all the 8.8 rear ends, I guess my question would be: is it better than the stock Ford piece or do we run into further posible issue's with being out of round?

Last edited by Mikes_BLK_GT; 6/2/08 at 06:10 PM.
Old 6/2/08, 06:07 PM
Cobra Member

Scott i also though it looked like the one that came with my haft as well. Which is one of the reasons i asked.

If it is I see no issues with them being out of spec but then again anything is possible
Old 6/2/08, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Scott i also though it looked like the one that came with my haft as well. Which is one of the reasons i asked.

If it is I see no issues with them being out of spec but then again anything is possible

I agree that this looks like the pinion flange I got with my Sydershaft. But back when I had my install issue Ron also told me he was getting iffy parts from Dany Spicer. Don't know if this is true or not but his driveshaft could be perfect and being bolted to a pinion flange not running true would be a big issue. With that said I would think that any issue with at least the universal joints would show up of the balancing machine. So the only other issue would be with the supplied pinion flange!!
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 6/2/08 at 06:38 PM.
Old 6/2/08, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I agree that this looks like the pinion flange I got with my Sydershaft. But back when I had my install issue Ron also told me he was getting iffy parts from Dany Spicer. Don't know if this is true or not but his driveshaft could be perfect and being bolted to a pinion flange not running true would be a big issue. With that said I would think that any issue with at least the universal joints would show up of the balancing machine. So the only other issue would be with the supplied pinion flange!!
Scott
Exactly which is why i am asking this. Like I said I would prefer to buy this flange if it works then to take the chance that the one i have is one of the bad batched Spicer one's
Old 6/3/08, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Supercharger
I think Shaftmasters, either in this thread or another one, specifically stated that installing their driveshaft with a watts link posed a risk of vibration. That is what caused me to make my earlier comment, that I would rather have the watts link as opposed to an aftermarket driveshaft where to my knowledge there is no dyno proof of an increase in horsepower from the aftermarket driveshaft.
How come the Saleen Parnelli Jones doesn't have any vibration issues? Don't they have an aluminum DS as well?

Quick Reply: Driveline vibration