GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Driveline vibration

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/08, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that's a problem, I have my adj. panhard bar ready to go in along with Tokico Adj, eiback pro springs, adj lca, and the driveshaft! UGH! I'm gonna have a shop install it so they can check on things to make sure it's done correctly...
Old 5/27/08, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Faber that's kinda what I was saying before...... when you factor in the stock, soft factory suspension along with a two piece shaft compared to some aftermarket suspension parts and a one piece shaft, I think alot of the problems that people do have are NVH problems in general and not specific problems with the shafts theirselves. Just my 2 cents.
Old 5/27/08, 01:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a shaftmasters on my 4.0 ... I have a vibration at 50 MPH and 75 MPH ... according to my dial caliper my runout is also around .050 or so ... definitely nowheres near 0 .... I have installed both sides of the driveshaft using every possible bolt hole on both flanges and still have the vibe.
Old 5/27/08, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmhines
I have a shaftmasters on my 4.0 ... I have a vibration at 50 MPH and 75 MPH ... according to my dial caliper my runout is also around .050 or so ... definitely nowheres near 0 .... I have installed both sides of the driveshaft using every possible bolt hole on both flanges and still have the vibe.
This is news to us. If you have been having a problem why haven't you contacted us about it. I can assure you that your shaft didn't leave here with that kind of excessive runout. We will be happy to check and rebalance the shaft for you if neccessary but you have to let us know if you have a problem! How long have you had this shaft? 6-9 months is my guess without looking it up.
Robert

Last edited by shaftmasters; 5/27/08 at 03:01 PM.
Old 5/27/08, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would think if your driveshaft is out as much as you say than the vibration would start alot before 50 mph and just keep getting worse and your speed increased. But I don't make drveshafts for a living. Get in touch with Robert @ Shaftmasters. I know from others with their driveshaft that any issues will be taken care of promptly. That I am sure of.
Scott
Old 5/27/08, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK so someone explain to me how a Adj Aftermarket Panhard bar causes a vibration. I would like to know this.
Old 5/27/08, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
OK so someone explain to me how a Adj Aftermarket Panhard bar causes a vibration. I would like to know this.
I would think if the panhard bar were not adjusted perfectly it would add a compound angle to the driveline. other than that i am not sure.
Old 5/27/08, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD

Yeah.. I got to agree with Richard on this one. Any panhard bar is just a piece of pipe with bushings on each end. Adjustable one just have a thread and nut added. I know the aftermarkets may have firmer rubber to resist deflection but.... But I work with the company that makes the stock panhard bars for our stangs. (Tennenco Automotive in Nepoleon, Ohio) And they add a steel shot inside the stock bars to dampen some kind of harmonics. Does Ford know something the aftermarket guys don't? I don't think any of the aftermarket panhard bars have this dampening agent added. I wonder?
Scott
Old 5/27/08, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Yeah.. I got to agree with Richard on this one. Any panhard bar is just a piece of pipe with bushings on each end. Adjustable one just have a thread and nut added. I know the aftermarkets may have firmer rubber to resist deflection but.... But I work with the company that makes the stock panhard bars for our stangs. (Tennenco Automotive in Nepoleon, Ohio) And they add a steel shot inside the stock bars to dampen some kind of harmonics. Does Ford know something the aftermarket guys don't? I don't think any of the aftermarket panhard bars have this dampening agent added. I wonder?
Scott

Yeah i could see added NVH but not a vibration from using a aftermarket panhard bar.
It does not effect the angle of the driveline per say, unless you have it so far out of whack to one side.
Old 5/27/08, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't believe the thought would be that the panhard bar alone would cause that much additional noise or vibration. I believe the theory is that most people with panhard bars also have lower control arms, upper control arms, springs/shocks, etc.

As far as Ford adding a deadener in the factory panhard, that I believe. This goes along with what I'm saying as far as these cars being really noisy back there, which is why Ford has done the things they've done to help quiet it down (soft bushings, sound deadening, two piece shaft, etc). Most people have to accept the fact that when you remove the factory pieces and replace them with aftermarket (performance-minded) pieces you will get a fair amount of noticeable noise/vibration.
Old 5/27/08, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I don't believe the thought would be that the panhard bar alone would cause that much additional noise or vibration. I believe the theory is that most people with panhard bars also have lower control arms, upper control arms, springs/shocks, etc.

As far as Ford adding a deadener in the factory panhard, that I believe. This goes along with what I'm saying as far as these cars being really noisy back there, which is why Ford has done the things they've done to help quiet it down (soft bushings, sound deadening, two piece shaft, etc). Most people have to accept the fact that when you remove the factory pieces and replace them with aftermarket (performance-minded) pieces you will get a fair amount of noticeable noise/vibration.

I agree with this post completely. Once you start changing all of the stock parts to performance parts than all bets are off. I can say I never felt any vibration with any of the stock parts that came on my car. So I pose this question to the guys have the vibration issues with any brand aftermarket driveshaft. If you have every had a universal joint go bad on any vehicle you will know what vibration really is. And it starts at like 20 MPH and will shake you eyeteeth out. And it does not come and go at different speeds....so what are you guys feeling? And for the record any brand of driveshaft that is running out .050 should make the car hop down the road at 50-70 mph. It won't just feel like a vibration.
Scott
Old 5/27/08, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tom281

Tom,
You said it well. All we want to do here at Shaftmasters is to pass along what we have learned and deduced from following many threads relating to aluminum driveshafts and Mustang GT's. Whether a GT owner has a vibration problem who also happens to have one of our shafts or a competitors it has been our observation that he usually also has an adjustable panhard bar and/or aftermarket upper and lower control arms, saleen watts link etc. We feel this is no coincidence. We would like to pass along our observations and leave it up to each individual owner to decide just how far they want to take their mods. Just keep in mind there are trade-offs involved.
Old 5/27/08, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
UCA's, LCA's, adj panhard bar, solid motor mounts, k-member brace with torque limiters and the shaftshaft still shouldn't shake your teeth out period!
Old 5/27/08, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
UCA's, LCA's, adj panhard bar, solid motor mounts, k-member brace with torque limiters and the shaftshaft still shouldn't shake your teeth out period!
Agreed

There is a big difference between added NVH and vibrations that shake the car.

Increased NVH is to be expected when swapping out soft rubber components for Prothane type bushing in things and will be even more evident when going to rod ends.

I went rod ends with a few parts and that was way to much for me.Swapped to poly bushings and that i can live with.

Last edited by 06GT4RAD; 5/27/08 at 07:10 PM.
Old 5/27/08, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well of all the parts you listed I only have the Prothanes with the aluminum driveshaft and I have no issue. FWIW!!
Old 5/27/08, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Agreed. There is something else up with these cars. Im back to the factory shaft and I still have the vibration though not as bad. Only suspension mod are lca's.
Old 5/28/08, 05:56 AM
Banned

Dan,
The last we heard of your install was this thread posted on MustangCollective titled "Shaftmasters to the Rescue"
http://www.mustangcollective.com/sho...t=shaftmasters
Old 5/28/08, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I added 4.10's and the Spydershaft at about the same time and picked up NVH at 62-65 mph - took it up to 90 mph or so with no real vibration. Ron rotated the DS 180 and that helped a bit but I still have some NVH at 60 mph. No plans to change the suspension so I don't anticipate any increase in NVH. I know that taking off the stock DS will cause some NVH because of the loss of the rubber deadening material. Wonder if changing to 4.10's added to the NVH...
Old 5/28/08, 07:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
I added 4.10's and the Spydershaft at about the same time and picked up NVH at 62-65 mph - took it up to 90 mph or so with no real vibration. Ron rotated the DS 180 and that helped a bit but I still have some NVH at 60 mph. No plans to change the suspension so I don't anticipate any increase in NVH. I know that taking off the stock DS will cause some NVH because of the loss of the rubber deadening material. Wonder if changing to 4.10's added to the NVH...

Well I know that your driveshaft is spinning faster at any given speed with those 4:10's then mine is with the stock 3:31 gears. I wonder what the rpm difference is between yours and mine say at 70 mph.
Scott
Old 5/28/08, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shaftmasters
Dan,
The last we heard of your install was this thread posted on MustangCollective titled "Shaftmasters to the Rescue"
http://www.mustangcollective.com/sho...t=shaftmasters
Just to clarify for shaftmasters and the readers ...

I know .... but I have 2000 miles since the install and notice all the little vibes and nuances of the ride ... and since I never checked the runout of the factory DS nor can I verify that your DS is the issue I didn't want to make a big deal out of it .. just giving a heads up saying runout issues will cause vibes ... and in my case at two specific speeds.

I'm very happy with the DS .. the driveline feels much better ... and 0 clunkiness compared to factory. I just don't cruise at 50 or 75 and all is good. I have had the car on the dyno at 128MPH with no issues.

Last edited by dmhines; 5/28/08 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Driveline vibration