GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Doug's Tunes Are Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/06, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug's Tunes Are Awesome!

This weekend was time to beef up my new GT a little! At the end of the week I installed a set of Flowmaster AT's and a Hurst Shifter. Next was the JLT CAI/XCal 2 combo from Bamachips. Living in Alabama, I was lucky enough to be able to go and have my intake and tunes installed by Doug himself! I went to Walker Dynotune in Trussville on Saturday to meet Doug and test out the new power. First of all, let me say that Doug is a really down to earth and cool guy. I'm a car guy but not a tech nut and he did a great job explaining what was going on. We did a baseline dyno and then put the intake on and ran a 93 performance tune for testing. The results are below.

Baseline - 263.6 HP/ (forgot TQ numbers, I will edit later)

JLT intake+93 perf. tune - 279.8 HP/301.2 TQ

2nd run with same mods (doug changed spark timing a little) - 281 HP (actually the peak numbers on this run was 298.6 HP but that was a sharp peak right at the end of the powerband. For most of the run, it ran the same as the 2nd run then just spiked at the end.)

I was really pleased to have actually gone to the dyno and see the numbers before and after. Doug and I went for a spin after we were done to test it out and I was amazed. The difference in the way the car drives is huge. No throttle lag anymore, better acceleration and the sound improvement was really noticeable. The car just screams when you get on the gas now. If anybody is reading this and still deciding on whether to do this mod or not, just do it. You will not regret it! I had read lots of posts of people impressed with this mod, but until you feel it for yourself, you will not believe it. I definately recommend Doug and Bamachips. He knows his stuff and you will not be dissapointed. I will use him again for all my tuning needs! Thanks Doug if you read this!
Old 10/30/06, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

If I am reading that correctly Doug tweaked his standard tune for your car on the dyno. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is I have his tune installed but am thinking about going to the dyno to get it tweaked a little and wondered if there was a benefit to that or if Dougs standard tune is about as good as I can get?
Old 10/30/06, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

The tune that he tweaked on the dyno was his test tune for the dyno. I think it is just like his 93 performance tune. As far as I know, the tunes I drove off with were the standard 93 octane tunes everybody else gets. I thought about asking for custom tuning but I thought I'd wait til I do more mods. I think his tunes are pretty much on the money though.
Old 10/30/06, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what 3 tunes did you get? all 93?
Old 10/30/06, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah. I got the 93 performance, 93 torque and 93 race tunes. They are all great but right now I am in love with the race tune. The throttle response is crazy! You put the foot down and you are going somewhere in a hurry!
Old 10/30/06, 03:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, his tunes are excellent! And he takes good care of his customers also.
Old 10/30/06, 06:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I swapped out my 3:55's with Doug's 4:10's at SVP Unlimited, and then Doug and I went on down to Walker Dyno. We pulled my car twice, and both pulls showed the tune he mailed me was on the money. He didn't need to change a thing. Spark and A/F were spot on. I ran mine with the 93 octane torque tune on a humid 100+ degree day in August, and I was still very pleased with the numbers. Doug's tunes rock!

TorchRedV6, how would you compare the torque and race tunes?
Old 10/30/06, 06:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the jlt/sct combo give you like 25hp?
Old 10/30/06, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
I thought the jlt/sct combo give you like 25hp?
I never pulled a baseline, but you can assume around 265rwhp stock. I believe most people's Dyno's show around that number.
I have 289.9rwhp with JLT/SCT combo and o/r h pipe. Minus 3-5rwhp for the h pipe and you have 284-287rwhp.
That would give 19-22+ rwhp gain. Close enough for me.
Every car, every pull, and condition is going to differ slightly a few HP one way or the other.
Sonic, I see you have the JLT. Have you ever pulled a baseline dyno before the JLT.
Old 10/30/06, 07:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never been dyno'd
Old 10/31/06, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

2005Sonicgt - I was hoping for closer to 25hp myself. The final dyno showed a consistent 20 hp gain across the powerband. However, Doug told me I would have probably seen better numbers if I had cycled more tanks of premium through the car before dynoing. I let my car go to empty on 87, then filled up with 93 and went to the dyno. Doug showed me on his laptop how the remaining 87 in the tank was affecting the power.

SilverBossGT - I would say the race tune is awesome all around. The torque tune probably pulls a little harder around 2,500 - 3,000rpms but the throttle response on the race tune is what I love. It's so sharp and really puts you in the back of the seat all the way to the rev limiter.
Old 10/31/06, 10:58 PM
Cobra Member

I got the 87 Torq, 93 Torq, and 93 Race, and I too am in love with the race tune. The day I got it all it was sprinkling and I could barley keep my GT on the road! The Race to is just plaine sick and def gives my SLPs a new tone.... Thanks Doug!
Old 10/31/06, 11:00 PM
eci
Banned

Here is Doug's race tune on my car.

Runfile 2 is stock
Runfile 4 and 5 were back to back after CL CAI, Doug's 91 Race, Corsa X and Corsa Mufflers:

Old 11/1/06, 11:23 AM
GT Member

I've got Doug's 93 Race tune with FRPP CMCV Delete Plates, and I am very happy with the results.

Just wondering- the plates are only $100, and they offer considerable gains for the money. Why aren't more people running them? Anyone?
Old 11/1/06, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can you drop some Octane Boost into the tank if you still have 87 remaining? How did you decide to load the 93p instead of the 93t?
Old 11/1/06, 12:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
I got the 87 Torq, 93 Torq, and 93 Race, and I too am in love with the race tune. The day I got it all it was sprinkling and I could barley keep my GT on the road! The Race to is just plaine sick and def gives my SLPs a new tone.... Thanks Doug!
My first post here...+1 on that race tune!!! It's like I have a different car. Love the way the auto shifts now...even has a measure of engine braking.
Old 11/1/06, 12:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by sts767
If I am reading that correctly Doug tweaked his standard tune for your car on the dyno. Is that correct?
Doug may kill me for spreading this around, but he is willing to tweak his canned 91 performance and torque tunes for me via email, no extra charge. There are no local dynos in my area, but a portable one will be here Saturday, so I'm going to take advantage of it!

Doug said to chart my runs showing HP/TQ over RPM's, along with A/F ratio, and datalog the runs with my XC2 using these parameters:

1)Charge Air Temps
2)Coolant Temps
3) RPM
4) MAF AD counts
5) Load
6) Spark advance

He will then marry the RPM's on the dyno chart with the RPM's on the datalog and tweak the tune.

Originally Posted by helicfii
Just wondering- the plates are only $100, and they offer considerable gains for the money. Why aren't more people running them? Anyone?
1) The install is a little intimidating. It's not difficult by any means, but the potential to make a mess or screw up your engine is a little higher than most other mods. Also, it's not as easy to return to stock when going to the dealer like a CAI and tune are.

2) I need the money for Christmas. Ask me again in March 2007.
Old 11/1/06, 01:41 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by helicfii
I understand that some users experienced a performance drop in the low-mid rpm range due to a decrease in torque after installing CMD plates, and that may have scared away potential users.
Old 11/1/06, 01:43 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
Can you drop some Octane Boost into the tank if you still have 87 remaining?
Don't do it! There have been reports that octane boosters foul the spark plugs, which then have to be replaced -> $$$
Old 11/5/06, 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

I put the 93 octane race tune he has on my auto. Wow is all I got to say. It totally pulls now, hesitation pretty much gone. I am loving these tunes. Totally wakes up the stang. Still have to try out the 93 torque tune he put on there as well. two thumbs up to dougs tunes.

Quick Reply: Doug's Tunes Are Awesome!