GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Does this seem wierd?

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/07, 04:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Faber
are you the reason djmac is afraid of paypal?
not sure if you're serious or not but NO
Old 12/5/07, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got screwed out of $350 using Paypal. Alan Soto never sent me the parts I bought and although Paypal sided with me, he didn't have any money in his Paypal account, so Paypal was like...too bad for you. I still use Paypal, but would never pay straight from my bank account unless I completely trust the vendor. Always use a credit card so you can be protected by the credit card company.
Old 12/5/07, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
not sure if you're serious or not but NO
not serious at all
Old 12/5/07, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Faber
This is a good point. Having never been burned by paypal I didn't have this concern. Fortunately the guy turned out to be VERY COOL!
Awww thanks!

I used to run an online business and Paypal was my worst nightmare, partly because they take such a big chunk of your sales in fees, but mostly because I had it happen to me a few times where you sell something, send it, the buyer receives it (verified by tracking information), and then they file an "item not received" dispute. Paypal then freezes your account and holds the money until they can do an investigation. If you did not keep VERY good records of the entire transaction (hard to do when you are doing a high volume of sales) then more times than not Paypal sides with the buyer and screws the seller. So then they get your item and their money back. Had this happen to my a couple times before I learned to carefully document EVERYTHING.

Another fun scam involving Paypal is their paying by credit card and then disputing the credit card charge after they receive the item. Once again Paypal will freeze your account and funds. Got burned by this one twice and was only able to get it cleared up once because not only are you dealing with Paypal, but also the buyer and their credit card company.

Those are just two of the scams I encountered, there are a few more, but I don't want to get off on a massive rant.

Long story short, if you are buying something then using Paypal is great because you are protected pretty much regardless of what unscupulous thing you want to do, if you are selling using Paypal then you need to take every conceivable step to cover your *** or you WILL get screwed.
Old 12/5/07, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Well CYA is my mantra anyway and I always ship with tracking and for high dollar items insurance and delivery confirmation. Hard to dispute a charge when you have tracking and signature information.

Paypal was invented because on the Internet, trust is a fool's motto. When I do Ebay auctions I do the Buy It Now thing and set it up for immediate payment. I also put in restrictions for things like low feedback, high negative feedback and out of country buyers. It may limit my customer base but it also weeds out lots of deadbeats.

I'll cancel a bid if someone balks at paypal payment requirements. Nothing worse than sitting there for three weeks waiting for payment and wondering if someone just wasted your time and money since Ebay charges fees no matter if the buyer pays or not.

If you run an online business and do any volume you're better off just setting up a merchant account and take credit card sales only. Percentage is anywhere from 1.5 to 8 percent depending on your transaction provider.