GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cutting weight to go faster...

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/06, 07:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is how I've been cutting weight....

Getting ready to go racing...

A couple more...
Old 3/2/06, 08:06 AM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wbrownie @ March 2, 2006, 8:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here is how I've been cutting weight....

Getting ready to go racing...
A couple more...
[/b][/quote]

Dude are you out of Nashville? I'm assuming that your doing Roadracing from the look of the cage and seat, what series are you going to run in? Can I take a look and ask some questions?

Edit: I am also assuming NASA CMC/AI/AIX since those tires look like RA-1s
Old 3/2/06, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ March 2, 2006, 9:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dude are you out of Nashville? I'm assuming that your doing Roadracing from the look of the cage and seat, what series are you going to run in? Can I take a look and ask some questions?

Edit: I am also assuming NASA CMC/AI/AIX since those tires look like RA-1s
[/b][/quote]

Yep, in Nashville.

Going to race American Iron starting at MidOhio in April.

PM me if you have any questions.

It's been a lot of work...late nights. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Should be ready to go for testing next weekend at Road Atlanta.
Old 3/2/06, 09:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wbrownie @ March 2, 2006, 9:27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yep, in Nashville.

Going to race American Iron starting at MidOhio in April.

PM me if you have any questions.

It's been a lot of work...late nights. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Should be ready to go for testing next weekend at Road Atlanta.
[/b][/quote]

That's awesome and something I'd like to do with my car down the road. Are the suspension parts listed in your sig the ones you will be using in AI? Please give some more specifics on the car if you don't mind.
Old 3/2/06, 09:25 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 2, 2006, 10:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's awesome and something I'd like to do with my car down the road. Are the suspension parts listed in your sig the ones you will be using in AI? Please give some more specifics on the car if you don't mind.
[/b][/quote]

Mods are as listed. Rear suspension is complete BMR replacements..upper & lower control arms, panhard rod, support and relocation brackets. Eibach sway bar.

Front is Steeda bushing inserts, camber plates. Eibach sway, bmr strut brace and a arm support.

Only bolt ons on the engine so far. Will need more HP though. Looking at head work.
Old 3/2/06, 09:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wbrownie @ March 2, 2006, 10:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mods are as listed. Rear suspension is complete BMR replacements..upper & lower control arms, panhard rod, support and relocation brackets. Eibach sway bar.

Front is Steeda bushing inserts, camber plates. Eibach sway, bmr strut brace and a arm support.

Only bolt ons on the engine so far. Will need more HP though. Looking at head work.
[/b][/quote]

That's a lot of the stuff that I am planning to uee for open track events. Do you think that setup will be competitive against some of the more radical setups, for example Griggs SN95s?
Old 3/2/06, 09:41 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 2, 2006, 10:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's a lot of the stuff that I am planning to uee for open track events. Do you think that setup will be competitive against some of the more radical setups, for example Griggs SN95s?
[/b][/quote]

The stock chasis and suspension geometry of the S197 is, in my opinion, far superior to the Fox body. Just stiffening up the bushings and control arms has made a huge difference.

The biggest difference is the control arm set up in front. It is FAR superior to anything that can be done, even aftermarket, to the SN95.
Old 3/2/06, 09:49 AM
FR500 Member

You guys totally hijacked this thread! But I don't have a problem with it because that car is just so cool. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] I wish I had the time and money to turn my car into something like that and go road racing. Sounds like fun. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

And any info on aftermarket batteries to cut some weight off the front would be great from anyone who's got one. Has anyone relocated the battery to the back of an S197 yet?
Old 3/2/06, 09:54 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ March 2, 2006, 10:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You guys totally hijacked this thread! But I don't have a problem with it because that car is just so cool. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] I wish I had the time and money to turn my car into something like that and go road racing. Sounds like fun. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

And any info on aftermarket batteries to cut some weight off the front would be great from anyone who's got one. Has anyone relocated the battery to the back of an S197 yet?
[/b][/quote]

Acadian,

Sorry for the highjack. I will be moving the battery to the back once I install the cutoff switch.

As for lightweight batteries. Check out www.odysseybatteries.com. The PC925 might work well. I used the PC680 in my M3 for a while.

Bill
Old 3/2/06, 09:54 AM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ March 2, 2006, 10:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

It's because road racing is so much more interesting than cars that turn in one direction or less [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 10:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wbrownie @ March 2, 2006, 10:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The stock chasis and suspension geometry of the S197 is, in my opinion, far superior to the Fox body. Just stiffening up the bushings and control arms has made a huge difference.

The biggest difference is the control arm set up in front. It is FAR superior to anything that can be done, even aftermarket, to the SN95.
[/b][/quote]

I've read that too. I was just wondering because you really aren't running an advanced suspension setup. I can't wait to see what MaximumMotorsports or Griggs has to offer for the S197s. Thanks for being a pioneer for us guys whom like to turn.
Old 3/2/06, 11:13 AM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 2, 2006, 11:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've read that too. I was just wondering because you really aren't running an advanced suspension setup. I've can't wait to see what MaximumMotorsports or Griggs has to offer for the S197s. Thanks for being a pioneer for us guys whom like to turn.
[/b][/quote]

Here is a cheap place to get some higher spring rates for anyone who cares. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ March 2, 2006, 12:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here is a cheap place to get some higher spring rates for anyone who cares. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Link?
Old 3/2/06, 12:10 PM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ March 2, 2006, 12:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I take it back I was looking at the Ground Control Springs website but after looking at my S197 spec sheet the springs may not fit right and they would be too high for the front and maybe just right for the back.

Here is a better place that may not be so cheap

Eibach Race Spring-System (ERS)

or this

Eibach Custom-Spec Race Springs
Old 3/2/06, 12:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ March 2, 2006, 1:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I take it back I was looking at the Ground Control Springs website but after looking at my S197 spec sheet the springs may not fit right and they would be too high for the front and maybe just right for the back.

Here is a better place that may not be so cheap

Eibach Race Spring-System (ERS)

or this

Eibach Custom-Spec Race Springs
[/b][/quote]

I've been eyeing the GC Coliover kit that uses Koni's. As for the ERS, I don't think they have a application for the S197 and I am don't know enough about suspension tuning to specify custom spring rates.
Old 3/2/06, 01:00 PM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 2, 2006, 1:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've been eyeing the GC Coliover kit that uses Koni's. As for the ERS, I don't think they have a application for the S197 and I am don't know enough about suspension tuning to specify custom spring rates.
[/b][/quote]

The thing about the GC coilover kit is that it only provides a coil-over for the front struts, which the S197 already has. The only additional helpful part of them is the struts are Konis (if you are serious get the double adjustables) and it adds ride height and camber adjustment.

IIRC a set of Koni DAs is around $1000 so it might be a pretty good deal if the konis are valved for the S197 and you get DAs for the $1500 price tag on that kit.