GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Custom Tune, Dyno - what does all this mean???

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/06, 04:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Tune, Dyno - what does all this mean???

OK, I've had my car for almost a year now - wow time does fly!!! And all of my mods to date have been show, no go. To be honest I never even came over here to the Performance section.

Now is maybe the time to get into the go game. I'm thinking just axle backs and a CAI. So now I been getting into the mix over non-tune CAI vs. tuned CAI. I read lots of threads, makes some call locally. But I'm still confused . I think I understand what a custom tune is, basically reprogramming the car's computer. But how does a dyno fit in? Is that just to prove your results, or just that do something different? Is it necessary? And is a tune just a matter of plugging something into my car.

Thanks in advance for a newbie perf mod guy
Old 7/28/06, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

You really have three sets of tunes...

Canned tune that you usually get from a manufacturer for their specific product.

Custom tune from a vendor for a one or more products. These usually show more performance than the canned tunes.

Dyno tunes, assuming that the AF is monitored properly, can really dial the tune in. Most tunes can benifit from some dyno time. THis will allow one to see in real time what the tune is doing in respect to timing, AF ratio, TQ and HP gains or losses from the changing of the tune parameters.

As for tuning, a handheld unit such as the SCT Xcalibrator or the Diablo Predator tuners are used. You get a tune, hook up the tuner to your PC, modify some of the simple parameters should you want to, either use the tune supplied with the unit or load your customized tune to the unit. Hook it up to your can and flash the new tune into the car ECU.

Dyno time allows you to see how each setting had affected the engine thoughout the entire spectrum. AF, TQ and HP can be affected from modest changs in a tune. More HP on the bottom end or in the middle of the RPM range can be more beneficial than peak HP at the higher RPMs. Same with Torque. More TQ in the lower ranges can be better depending on what you are looking for in you daily street or track times.
Old 7/28/06, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

To add an example, I purchased my CAI and Tunes from Brenspeed. Until recently he had never seen my car. He was only able to get an additional 4 HP and 2 Trq more when we dyno tuned. That was basically from finding on the Dyno that my car likes a little less timeing and to be a little rich. The mail order tunes from him are very close. I don't have experience with BamaChips but, from what I read it is the same with him.

I think spending the $ for a Dyno Tune is really only worth it if you are adding some type of power adder. ie.. spray or blower. These guys really know their stuff.
Old 7/28/06, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK - now I'm getting closer to understanding all of this. I've got a call into a local shop that comes highly recommended. I'll see what they say as far as price, and how it compares to buying online and doing myself.

But keep it coming, perf mods here I come.....
Old 7/28/06, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd talk to Brenspeed or Bamachips if you are doing a tune and arn't doing a dyno tune.

I would NOT reccomend trying to make your own tune if you arn't even sure of the differences.
Old 7/28/06, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TexaStang
I'd talk to Brenspeed or Bamachips if you are doing a tune and arn't doing a dyno tune.

I would NOT reccomend trying to make your own tune if you arn't even sure of the differences.
Oh yea - would not do this on my own. If I go this route, one of the two above will get my business....
Old 7/28/06, 11:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I got a Canned tune when I bought my Xcal II from VMP, so that tune would work with any CAI. When I got my JLT II, I did not buy the Custom tune that Jay has available for his intake, since I knew I was going to get a Dyno tune from Doug.

Doug got 10rwhp for my car from just one pull. The canned tune was very rich, and my Dyno tune is just right with a little bump in timing. I can select from 3 different grades of fuel and torque or race tunes. I want to make sure my car is running right, so I always go for the dyno tune. Plus, Doug is local to me and one of the best tuners around, and his prices are great. Customer service is too.
Old 7/28/06, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I can vouch for Doug at Bamachips if that helps any, he's an awsome guy and his tune made amazing power, my dyno guy was actually surprised how spot on it was for a mail order.