GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/07, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic Supercharger Question

I am glad to find this thread as I am some what of a novice and needing good advice. I am looking to add a supercharger to stock GT 4.6L 06-08 stang. Considering the Ford Racing 500 hp unit, Vortech, Saleen , Steeda.
I am leaning towards Ford Racing for obvious HP reasons. Recent Hot Rod magazine had a good write up on this one. I plan to add aftermarket exhaust and whatever is necessary to accomidate the supercharger.

My intended use is a semi daily driver. I will not race it or take it to the track. Suggestions please?
Old 9/12/07, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmyv 67'
Considering the Ford Racing 500 hp unit, Vortech, Saleen , Steeda.

Suggestions please?
That Steeda SC must be super double secret...
Old 9/12/07, 10:36 PM

I am glad to find this thread as I am some what of a novice and needing good advice. I am looking to add a supercharger to stock GT 4.6L 06-08 stang. Considering the Ford Racing 500 hp unit, Vortech, Saleen , Steeda.
I am leaning towards Ford Racing for obvious HP reasons. Recent Hot Rod magazine had a good write up on this one. I plan to add aftermarket exhaust and whatever is necessary to accomidate the supercharger.

My intended use is a semi daily driver. I will not race it or take it to the track. Suggestions please?
Ford Racing=Whipple
Steeda=someone else's product that's late to the party
Steeda has been selling the Magnacharger as the Steeda Magnacharger. Not sure if Steeda is coming up with their "own" S/C or not.
Old 9/12/07, 11:47 PM
GT Member

I like the whipple kit also because it is complete, down to the new fuel system (dual GT 500 pumps) and even new spark plugs. I would advise a custom tune however.

2005 AUTO--13psi was 492rwhp 456 rwtq---best et 6.95 @ 98 1/8th mile with a 1.489 60' time. PI 3300 stall, 4.10's, M&H 325/45/17's, CHE UCA, LCAs, 1.75 long tube headers, stock heads and cams, 281 cid.

2005 AUTO--16psi was only 519 rwhp and 604 rwtq, race tune with min 104 octane, ---if you are really going to push it with any twin screw, the stock throttle body will become a limiting factor at this boost level. My hp was basically flat after 5400 rpm with the stock TB. Putting on larger throttle body with modified intake next month, that should bring it up to 560 territory.

With a 8 rib kit, the belts for the whipple can be obtained at almost any auto parts store, very common. Belt problems not a factor with autos, manuals seem to have a tough time keeping belts higher then 12psi when powershifting.

Here are some dyno run vids and dyno sheets.

Whipple 16psi on Mustang 2005 Auto. Car needs bigger throttle body now!

Oh, and here is a Kenne Bell 2.6 @ 24psi......

2005 Mustang 4.6 3v with Kenne Bell 2.6 @ 24 psi 731hp / 728 rwtq
Attached Thumbnails Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-16psidynoweb.jpg   Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-gijoe-whipple8rib1.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 9/13/07, 01:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

psfracer wow, I think that's the oddest (and coolest!) dyno graph I have seen, the torque hits instantly at it's peak, then slowly drifts off, while the power hits just about it's peak instantly and carries on through with not much change.

What in the heck makes that one so much different than most other folks setup? Is it the 8 rib belt doing it's thing? Torque like that must be fun
Old 9/13/07, 02:03 AM
GT Member

The horsepower is explained by a stock throttle body that is not allowing the engine to breath above 5400 rpm, so the horspower just stays flat. A new throttle body should increase the hp to 560.

The torque hits hard like that because I have the converter unlocked. This car is so much fun to drive on the freeway---give it gas and the auto downshifts---this car is gone! 550 ft-lbs still at 4800 rpm. It looks like it drops off alot, but not really when you consider the graph goes to 7200 rpm. It feels just like my 1967 mustang fastback with the 428---when cars had way more torque then horsepower. The Buick GS 455 comes to mine, rated at 360 hp and 500 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 9/13/07, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering the Ford Racing 500 hp unit, Vortech, Saleen , Steeda.
Jimmy, the Steeda is a Magnason Magnacharger.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...1-12-65-011-PO
Old 9/13/07, 06:36 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Saleen Power

Well I have had the Saleen SC install for a week now. Impressions are that it is very streetable but has unblieveable power at the touch of the loud pedal. There is hardly any whining sound at any speed except WOT. My exhaust sounds louder. The install was fun and very carefully done, it took me appx 20 hours total but 5 to 6 hours were looking to somehow remove the stock alt. pulley.

PROS
The power is unblieveable
Very Streetable
Looks great
Totally enjoyed the install

Cons
Saleen instructions SUCK
Was missing the Saleen special one of a kind Alt. removeal tool
You need to use the stock air filter or just the tube and a Steeda CAI
The kit was cheap but the add ons keep adding on (i.e 39lb injectors, Steeda CAI, additional tools, boost gauge)
Company I brought it from claim that it was lost for aweek in shipping but to make up for it there sold me a set of HT0 spark plugs for $50.

Attachment 32805Attachment 32806
Attachment 32807

Real mean do their own installing
Attached Thumbnails Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-saleen-001.jpg   Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-dscf0685.jpg   Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-dscf0686.jpg  
Old 9/13/07, 08:00 AM

psfracer...do you have any specs on that KB car? That's the highest hp I've seen out of a KB on the 3v's.
Old 9/13/07, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Darrell , did Saleen charge extra for the soda can
Old 9/13/07, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
psfracer...do you have any specs on that KB car? That's the highest hp I've seen out of a KB on the 3v's.
116 race gas,built block,24psi
Old 9/13/07, 03:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
Yeah, its Adam's car from ST Motorsports out in San Bernardino, CA. He hit a wall some time ago with the stock throttle body and intake set up, so now he is trying larger throttle bodies, modified blower intakes (after the throttle body), and 5 inch intake tubes. His goal is to break 800 hp. I was at his shop just yesterday looking at this car, and he still has the stock exhaust manifolds on this car! But it seems all of the large gains are because of work on the intake side.

I am not sure about headwork, cams, or cid. I think he still has stock cams, but worked heads (livernois), not sure if its still 281 cid or not.
Old 9/14/07, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

bump.

anyone else?
Old 9/14/07, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Non-intercooled Whipple w/ an 8lb pulley, Bamachips custom tune = 344 rwhp.

The stock 6lb pulley and FRPP tune = 324 rwhp.

Here are pics of the Whipple and the dyno sheet. My plans are to get an intercooler and a 10lb pulley and get Doug to tune it again and get 400 or more rwhp out of her.
Attached Thumbnails Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-whipple-001.jpg   Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-whipple-004.jpg   Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-whipple-002.jpg   Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-whipple-005.jpg   Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-dynosheet-002.jpg  

Old 9/14/07, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Will be picking mine up tomorrow.

Installers told me she put down 458rwhp on the DYNO and said that they could have taken it to 470 but wanted to play it safe.

Oh yeah, I have an AUTO.
Old 9/15/07, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

I installed the Kenne Bell Non Intercooled 2.6 on my GT automatic myself. The only items I had to buy was some new spark pugs and a gallon of antifreeze. The installation documentation was exceptional. The installation took me about 30 hours . The wiring was the most time consumming aspect of the install but not difficult. The car runs exceptionally smooth , quiet and has amazing power upon demand using the supplied Kenne Bell street tune. I have no access to a dyno and the closest dyno is 4+hours away so I have to fall back on the Kenne Bell documentation that states +129 rhp over stock . Total cost of install approx $4700
Attachment 32907
Attached Thumbnails Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.-supercharger-001kenne-bell.jpg  
Old 9/15/07, 10:28 AM

I originally posted the following install write-up in January 2006. Much (much, much) has changed on the car since then.

================================================== =======

Kenne Bell 2.4L Supercharger Installed

What a weekend this has been!! Yesterday [Saturday, 1/28/06] was a loooong day. I left San Diego a little after 6:30am to get to S.T. Motorsports in San Bernardino at 8:00am. The installation of the 2.4L Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger is pretty straightforward, but is a lot of work. I’m glad I didn’t tackle this at home by myself. Having a fully equipped shop and the expertise of Adam and John of S.T. was invaluable. Yes… I probably could have done it at home, but it would have taken me much longer, and without the selection of tools they had, I would have struggled at times with the tools I have available. In addition, KB does not yet offer a canned tune for the automatic, so Adam basically had to build the tune from scratch. So, it worked out well that we did it at his shop. I say “we”... but mostly I stood around watching them work. LOL

This whole process has not been without some hiccups. First of all, when the installation was done, the car would not start. John noticed a leaking fuel injector on the passenger side which was replaced. After that, it still didn’t start. A second leaking injector was found (on the same side). So, all four injectors were replaced on that side. Again… no start!! WTF? After considerable head scratching and double/triple checking everything, John finally noticed that the MAF wiring extension was different than what was on Adam’s car. As it turns out, the extension connector that came with the kit had been wired “upside down”. I would never have figured that out if I was trying to do this in my garage, so I was glad I was at Adam’s shop!! So, he did a quick patch job to test it out, and the car started! Woohoo!! What a great sound that was!!

Since Adam was building the tune himself, he took a very cautious approach. He started ultra-conservative on the timing and other parameters and slowly worked up the power levels. The first pulls were in the 330rwhp range. Then 350… then 370… then 400 and eventually 415rwhp, and over 380rwtq. The car was making over 300rwtq at 2500rpm, and 350rwtq by 3000rpm. There isn’t a lot of timing in it (15-18 degrees as I recall), so it’s still on the safe side. At this point it was already well after 10:00pm and we still needed to road test the car, so we decided to leave it the tune where it was for now. Even at this point, I gained over 125rwhp and 100rwtq from what I had when I got there that morning. Suh-weet!!!

On my road test, it did go into failsafe mode once when trying to accelerate using the cruise control “+” button. But other than that, it ran awesome… from slowly cruising to WOT blasts. Definitely a “10+” on the butt-o-meter scale!! I didn’t leave Adam’s shop until after 11pm, and when I got home about 12:30am (18 hours after I had left home in the morning), my wife was waiting up so she could take a test drive. So we went out terrorizing the streets of San Diego for a little while. haha

My plan for today (Sunday) was to modify the Shaker Scoop and get it all together. I started modifying the Shaker and was getting close to test fitting it, when Ed (msgt46270) stopped by. I started it up for him, and we both smelled gasoline. Unfortunately the fuel leak issues came back. We’re not yet sure what is causing it, but it is only affecting the passenger-side injectors. I have had them in and out several times today trying different things, but no success yet. The blower uses the factory fuel rails, and we have tried 8 injectors in the four spots, but it is still a mystery at this point why we’re getting leaks. Since I am dog-tired, I decided to sleep on it and figure it out later.

Bottom line though, is that this is an awesome blower kit, with tons of potential. Once we solve the fuel injector mystery, Adam wants to tweak the tune some more, and then we will probably try a 10# pulley. But, since this is most likely the first and only auto trans ‘05/06 Mustang running the KB blower, we are proceeding cautiously and carefully. There is no reason to rush things. I want to get the 8# set-up perfect and get some track-time under my belt before we step up the boost anymore.

Anyway, here are a bunch of pics:

Getting Started

Removing the Front Clip

Disassembly

Air Filter and MAF Location

Relocated Fusebox

Intercooler Radiator Core

Ready for Reassembly

The Kenne Bell Kit

Intercooler

Intercooler and Fuel Injectors

Twin Screw Blower w/8psi Pulley

Throttle Body

Coolant Reservoir

CAI

Air Filter Location

Revised MAF Extension Connector Wiring

Completed Install Pics

Shaker Peephole

Old 9/15/07, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

so what did you do about the shaker hole?
Old 9/15/07, 06:02 PM
GT Member

that would be cool if you made the shaket work.

btw where are the procharger guys at???
Old 9/15/07, 06:40 PM

I put the Shaker back in the hole... of course!!

Quick Reply: Creating the ultimate supercharger thread.