GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cpu Update-Got My Baby back Today!

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/05, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tech finally diagnosed my CPU. Apparrently the Intake runner control moduel is bad. It's kinda like the jet's or venture on a carb. It tells the CPU to run more fuel to the injectors under hard acceleration. He sent the information to Ford, but in the mean time they ordered the new part and will replace it under warranty. That's why I have felt my performance suffering. My tech did a great job of analizing things and comunicating to Ford! I just wanted to post this to help anyone having similar problem's,know what direction to look in. Ford's doing a very good job IMO of takeing care of problems and fixing them. Way to go Ford!

LOL My rental car was a Bowling Shoe with "10 Gerbble" power!! It off-roaded pretty good though..... B)
Old 1/29/05, 03:37 PM
FR500 Member

Glad they found the problem.....it's a bummer when you're spending money for upgrades and instead things are going down hill.
Old 1/29/05, 04:49 PM

Just curious, do "know" someone at FORD or did they scan your car and charge you. Some people run into trouble with the service department with a car that has aftermarket mods. As for myself I purchased a scanner that covers most of the codes, it reads/erases them without the use of a book (It actually displays the trouble code and explaination). EZ-LINK Advanced Code Reader made by Autoxray. I purchased it from Oreilly auto parts store for $170.00 and it works on all vehicles/makes with OBD-I and OBD-II systems including the 05 Mustang.
Old 1/29/05, 05:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dhof303@January 29, 2005, 5:52 PM
Just curious, do "know" someone at FORD or did they scan your car and charge you. Some people run into trouble with the service department with a car that has aftermarket mods. As for myself I purchased a scanner that covers most of the codes, it reads/erases them without the use of a book (It actually displays the trouble code and explaination). EZ-LINK Advanced Code Reader made by Autoxray. I purchased it from Oreilly auto parts store for $170.00 and it works on all vehicles/makes with OBD-I and OBD-II systems including the 05 Mustang.
Thank's for the info, but yes the Tech at Ford is a friend of mine, and he takes good care of me. And hopefully I can pass good info on to the member's here as a result of that!
Old 1/29/05, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wild stray@January 29, 2005, 4:40 PM
Glad they found the problem.....it's a bummer when you're spending money for upgrades and instead things are going down hill.
Thank's! That's no Joke it was really stress'n me out!!
Old 1/29/05, 05:58 PM
Cobra Member

Vegas - glad they found/fixed your problem.....I may have missed an earlier post - but what were your symptoms - so the rest of us can be aware if we encounter the same issues?

thx - b
Old 1/30/05, 01:51 AM
Cobra Member

It was kinda strange. It wouldn't do it all the time which you know makes it harder to diagnose..At aprox. 4k RPM's to 6k it would feel like the power was reduced by 30 percent or so. At first I thought the CPU was fighting my mod's ect. What was make'n it hard to diagnose was all the trouble code's from my unflashed CIA and O2 code's from the header's. My tech didn't want to jump to any conclusions till he could sort through all the data, and not just start ripping part's out. He did a great job and got to the bottom of it, and the warranty will take care of the rest! Now it's time for off-road'n the Pinto rental car I'm gona get....LOL
Old 1/30/05, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 30, 2005, 2:54 AM
It was kinda strange. It wouldn't do it all the time which you know makes it harder to diagnose..At aprox. 4k RPM's to 6k it would feel like the power was reduced by 30 percent or so. At first I thought the CPU was fighting my mod's ect. What was make'n it hard to diagnose was all the trouble code's from my unflashed CIA and O2 code's from the header's. My tech didn't want to jump to any conclusions till he could sort through all the data, and not just start ripping part's out. He did a great job and got to the bottom of it, and the warranty will take care of the rest! Now it's time for off-road'n the Pinto rental car I'm gona get....LOL
Thanks I appreciate the feedback and am going to "bend" this thread in a slightly diff direction by asking what your thoughts are on the "throttle by wire" and how it doesn't "feel" like you are getting full throttle when you hit WOT......AND I've heard the intake/SCT Xcalibrator - compensates for this - but does it really alter the throttle control mechinism or just add more power so it feels like it's accelerating faster? Boy do I wish the aftermarket would come up with a fix for this - knowing Ford - WOT is probably only set at 80% of available throttle.......to be honest - this 3V 4.6L doesn't "feel" all that much "peppier" than my '00 GT......
Old 1/30/05, 10:57 PM
Cobra Member

Bend away!! I'm not sure yet on the throttle-by-wire set up?? I talked to my tech about it and he say's there's probabley a slight "saftey margine programed in there. I'm going to see if the Diablo can take care of this. We will see....
Old 1/31/05, 05:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I understand the throttle by wire is actually the computer telling a servo motor to open the throttle according to how far the pedal is pushed,,,and that the xcalibrator does compensate for it in their basic tune.
Old 2/1/05, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DozerzPony@January 31, 2005, 6:14 AM
I understand the throttle by wire is actually the computer telling a servo motor to open the throttle according to how far the pedal is pushed,,,and that the xcalibrator does compensate for it in their basic tune.
Yes it is - see my post on checking out the Throttle Body. I had the key in the on positon and the intake tube off and with a mirror could see the throttle plates opening/closing in synch with my accel pedal movements.....and was strange to hear and "electric motor" sound every time the throttle moved.....
Old 2/1/05, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 31, 2005, 12:00 AM
Bend away!! I'm not sure yet on the throttle-by-wire set up?? I talked to my tech about it and he say's there's probabley a slight "saftey margine programed in there. I'm going to see if the Diablo can take care of this. We will see....
Jay be sure to post when you find out - that new CNL CAI/Diablo set up looks tempting....perhaps you could shool us on the diff between the Diablo being offered by CNL and the SCTXcalibrator by Steeda....which is best????
Old 2/1/05, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Got my Baby back today!! Holly crap!! What a difference!! I guess that Intake Runner Control Modual was bad. My Tech said after he got it out and tested it, never was functioning at a 100%... Now were going in the right direction!! Feels like a completely different motor now. I thought it was off but between the mods and having nothing to compare it to,i.e. another GT it was hard to tell. Besides the fact that the sevarety of the problem would varry. No wonder I was in such a hurry to Mod her up, I was starting out about 50 HP short of the rest of you!! Now were cookin with gas! BTW: Can't say for sure yet as I'm still a couple week's from the dyno but I would say JBA's longtube header #'s are spot on....
Old 2/1/05, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Vegasjay@February 1, 2005, 7:21 PM
Got my Baby back today!! Holly crap!! What a difference!! I guess that Intake Runner Control Modual was bad. My Tech said after he got it out and tested it never was functioning at a 100%... Now were going in the right direction!! Feels like a completely different motor now. I thought it was off but between the mods and having nothing to compare it to,i.e. another GT it was hard to tell. Besides the fact that the sevarety of the problem would varry. No wonder I was in such a hurry to Mod her up, I was starting out about 50 HP short of the rest of you!! Now were cookin with gas! BTW: Can't say for sure yet as I'm still a couple week's from the dyno but I would say JBA's longtube header #'s are spot on....

Glad they got your pony straightened out. Good info to know about (this intake runner module). Hope your Predator/Intake combo adds to the hp. I know the dyno is a few days off but how soon before you get to the track for some times?
Old 2/1/05, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

I think our track opens Feb. 11th for the Midnight madness. I hope to be out there opening night! I've been practicing launches on a desolet street by my house. I've been dropin the hammer at about 2500 RPM's with Trac control off. Seems like a good launch?? Shifting at about 5800 RPM's. We will see how it all goes at the track I guess.
Old 2/1/05, 08:30 PM

Lucky you, our track doesn't open until the first week of March. Snow here tonight so hard to do some practice launches, car is in the paint booth anyway. I can't wait to get some win lights on the strip. So far street races have been all I can get. Chalk up some wins to the 05, so far a BMW M3/98 Cobra/02 C5 Vette (who's plate reads GTEATR)/and a late model GTO.
Old 2/1/05, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm glad your car is back in shape Justin.
Old 2/1/05, 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dhof303+February 1, 2005, 9:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhof303 @ February 1, 2005, 9:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lucky you, our track doesn't open until the first week of March. Snow here tonight so hard to do some practice launches, car is in the paint booth anyway. I can't wait to get some win lights on the strip. So far street races have been all I can get. Chalk up some wins to the 05, so far a BMW M3/98 Cobra/02 C5 Vette (who's plate reads GTEATR)/and a late model GTO.
[/b]

Very good kills!! Maybe the Vete should change his tags to GTWANABE!! I got a 04 GTO, A 02 Firebird, 01-02 Z-28, and a Jag XJ-12 didn't think he would run, was a nice surprise and a good race.

<!--QuoteBegin-steal101
@February 1, 2005, 11:38 PM
I'm glad your car is back in shape Justin.
[/quote]

Thank's, Your wheels look sweet!!, Do you plan on going to the Speedway??
Old 2/2/05, 08:28 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got your car back Justin and everything is back on track. Looking forward to your Dyno results and track times.
Old 2/2/05, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 2, 2005, 9:31 AM
Glad you got your car back Justin and everything is back on track. Looking forward to your Dyno results and track times.
Thank you! I just checked our speedway website and the first friday night Midnight Meyham starts Feb 25th. That will give me time to prepare and get the C&L intake and Diablo dialed in! I can't wait....