GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Couldn't shift into 1st gear (TR-3650)!

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/07, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Speaking of clutch...
Because its HydroAssisted, it uses the break fluid right?
Would the clutch be affected by the temp of the brake fluid as far as its ability to compress?

Like say for example, when you have hot break fluid, does your clutch pedal feel different because the fluid being compressed is hot?
yeah, come to think of it, it doesn't have a separate reservoir for the clutch...
Old 7/18/07, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I noticed the brake fluid level does not change much based on operating temperatures. On my 00 Crown Vic, the level rises when it is hot and lowers when it is colder. I did not see the same thing on the Stang. The reservoir is either large enough that temperature variations aren't as effective or the brakes are cooled fairly well for normal driving.
Old 7/18/07, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Speaking of clutch...
Because its HydroAssisted, it uses the break fluid right?
Would the clutch be affected by the temp of the brake fluid as far as its ability to compress?

Like say for example, when you have hot break fluid, does your clutch pedal feel different because the fluid being compressed is hot?
I doubt the really hot brake fluid ever makes it back to the resevoir ... its not like a circulating system ... each caliper is a dead end branch circuit
Old 7/18/07, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Have you guys ever considered that it isn't quite so much the trans but alot of it the clutch in these cars? Seems my clutch is very very touchy as a couple of you have pointed out. Maybe an engagement/disengagement issue?
Diaphram clutches have nonlinear engagement / disengagement characteristics, and generally why you have to mash the pedal to the floor to get clean disengagement.
Old 7/18/07, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Diaphram clutches have nonlinear engagement / disengagement characteristics, and generally why you have to mash the pedal to the floor to get clean disengagement.
Well dang! There's proof you learn something new everyday....
Old 7/18/07, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I've asked some of the other people at work who have German and Japanese cars with manuals, and none of them have to deal with the BS that we see with the TR-3650.
My '07 does it from time to time. I've had Toyota's, Mazda's, Suzuki's and Hyundai's with manual transmissions and they have all done this. My thoughts are it's normal. If someone tells you theirs doesn't do it, either they didn't think enough of it to realize it or they aren't being honest about it. My opinion only.
Old 7/18/07, 01:02 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
This is a normal occurence, but remember, the first rule of driving a clutch NEVER EVER FORCE IT, if you do, youll leave your transmission in the road. Try moving a few few forward, or pump the clutch a few times while in neutral. I dont usually leave my truck in neutral at lights, I downshift, and then as Im almost slowed completely, like 1-2 mph, I shift into 1st and leave it there.