GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Couldn't shift into 1st gear (TR-3650)!

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/07, 11:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Couldn't shift into 1st gear (TR-3650)!

I was at a stoplight with the clutch out and the shifter in neutral. I saw the light turn yellow (for active traffic), so I pulled the clutch in and went to shift into 1st gear. With my 07 GT manual, I normally feel 2 "detents" when shifting through the gates. For example, going from the Neutral "bar" to 1-5 or R will result in a very distinctive "clunk CLUNK" feel indicating it is now in gear. However, at this particular moment, I felt only 1 clunk and tried to force it in to get that 2nd clunk. I revved it up and slipped the clutch only to find the trans was still in "neutral". This is the 3rd time it has happened to me with the same result.

I had to shift back into Neutral and try it again.

The trans has less than 2000 miles (never raced) and everything is bone stock. Is my trans bad or did the dog teeth just get misaligned enough to require moving the shifter around?
Old 7/15/07, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about what the problem is.. make an appointment with your local Ford dealer and get it fix under warrenty... Problem solved..

It's not worth the fuss and worry of when is it going to happen again.. Not being able to leave at an intersection when the light changes might get you in an accident.

Bobby M.
Old 7/15/07, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What's causing the problem? I would rather first try to find a possible cause before taking it into the dealership and having the mechanics play "find the problem" and end up telling me it is "normal" because they couldn't reproduce the problem.
Old 7/15/07, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Every manual trans I have owned at time will not go into gear because the snychronizers are not messed correctly. Should not take any revving of the engine to re-align them just release the clutch and depress it again when in neutral and that should take care of it. I need to say that my car is an auto and have no first hand experience with this trans. I even have the same issue with my tractors from time to time. If it happens again try what I said.
Scott
Old 7/15/07, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
What's causing the problem? I would rather first try to find a possible cause before taking it into the dealership and having the mechanics play "find the problem" and end up telling me it is "normal" because they couldn't reproduce the problem.
The blocker ring probably jammed as you were trying to slip into 1st (are you mashing the clutch pedall ALL the way to the floor evert time you shift?). If the blocker ring jams and is is not aligned with the syncro engagement teeth on the idler gear, then the slider (what the shift fork is moving) will only engage (1st detent you feel) the blocker ring and not the idler gear (second detent you feel ... though they are not really detents). Quick solution at the traffic stop is quickly pull it back into neutral, let out the clutch (will un jam the blocker ring) and try again. If 1st gear is super sensitive, pull it into 2nd or 3rd first.

With a new trans, I would suppect its technique (the left foot) rather than the trans, unless it gets chronic.

My 2 cents.
Old 7/15/07, 01:11 PM

I have had this happen to me a few times, at least it sounds like the same thing. I think I put it in first, after being in neutral with the clutch out, only to find that the shifter stopped short of actually going into first. I just move the shifter to 2nd and back to 1st and it goes in fine. I'm not sure how concerned to be about it, this is my first manual and I don't know if it's normal, or if it's my technique, or what. I kinda decided not to worry about it unless it got worse. It is a bit embarassing though.
Old 7/15/07, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The left foot is pushing the pedal to the floor because remember that I'm starting at the stoplight from a total standstill. My general reaction in this case is to jam that clutch pedal to the floor to prevent a stallout.

If I recall correctly, I've run into this situation in another gear but I don't recall if it was 3rd gear or just 1st gear again. In any case, I know of 3 instances that this has happened in 1st gear (or trying to get into first gear). In all 3 cases, shifting to Neutral and back to 1st resulted in a proper shift. Did I do anything wrong to cause the blocker ring to jam or is this just a totally random thing?
Old 7/15/07, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Well if you are honestly mashing the pedal to the floor, you are not doing anything wrong. I think this is a trait of the TREMEC and possibly related to the blocker ring design. I have experienced the same a few times, but have taught myself not to be fooled if the slider only hits the blocker ring. This is a notchy tranny at best and no comparison to my faithful top loader in my 69 BOSS. Some Einstein at TREMEC dreamt up creating a composite blocker ring. The regular solid brass ones seemed to have worked fine the last 75 years or so, but this guy decided it needed to be fixed because it’s more tech to be composite than the tried and proven design. Anyway, that is my take on the situation.
Old 7/15/07, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I have also had this problem a couple times, but as others have stated just start over and everything is fine.....i would say its normal and absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old 7/15/07, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That sounds reasonable! I'll keep an eye on it and take it in if there are any serious problems.
Old 7/15/07, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your observations are typical of this tranny. I have it happen about twice a week at different lights. Sometimes I just leave in second if it looks like some kid behind me is going to cash in my taillights.
Just pay attention to traffic. I would hate to see someone take off behind you only to find you looking to go back from second to first.
I usually go into first during the yellow light of cross traffic. That way if you do denote this issue you have time to correct it.
Old 7/15/07, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree - I normally try to shift into first during the yellow light. However, SE MI has the sh*ttiest traffic lights. We're still using incandescent bulbs in most places and they're hardly visible in broad daylight.
Old 7/15/07, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
One word- normal.

If you haven't experienced it previously, then consider yourself lucky as you will find overtime that the Tremec in these cars is "ok" I best. Matter of fact, while going for a Sunday cruise earlier today with the whole family in the car, I missed a speedshift into 3rd gear- that's with a MGW shifter and ALOT of practice LOL. Occasionally, these boxes just don't want to shift. Could be the trans, could be the shifter and/or shifter location but I believe it's the trans.
Old 7/15/07, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I've had the same thing happen, only in 2nd gear. I just let the car roll forward a couple feet and then it goes in fine. Seems to support the synchronizer/blocker ring theory. I don't think it's a good idea to force it into gear, just seems to me like there's a higher chance of damaging something. I'd just put it in 2nd, roll for a few feet and put it in 1st. Or if you're on a hill, just take your foot off the brake and let it roll a few feet. Like everyone's sayin, seems to be the normal thing
Old 7/15/07, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

How do I "fix" this problem? Did the factory fill the 3650 with Mobil 1 ATF or a non-synth Mercon ATF?

I may try 3 qt of the Texaco/Havoline Non-Synth Mercon ATF as per Tremec's instructions. If this is a blocker ring issue, then it is most likely related to the fluid. I have no way of knowing this without actually changing the fluid, unless I can find out for SURE if the 07 3650s (and 05-06) used Mobil 1 ATF at the factory.
Old 7/16/07, 03:01 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm pretty sure this is normal with pretty much ANY manual. It's happened to me on the S197, it used to happen to me in my SN95, it's happened in an old fox body that we used to have, and I remember it happening to me on an old beretta that I used to have.

Like some have said before, it's normal and I don't think there's a "fix". Just shift back into neutral, let off the clutch, then start over. Now that you are aware of it, it will be easier/faster to remedy when it happens again, which IMO is the easiest "fix". It will become something else you learn to do when driving, just like having to press on the clutch to come to a complete stop.
Old 7/16/07, 03:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I've asked some of the other people at work who have German and Japanese cars with manuals, and none of them have to deal with the BS that we see with the TR-3650.
Old 7/16/07, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I've always shifted into second and then first when I am in neutral at a stop with every standard transmission that I have driven. I do the same thing when shifting from reverse to first - go into second and then first gear.
Old 7/16/07, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
I've always shifted into second and then first when I am in neutral at a stop with every standard transmission that I have driven. I do the same thing when shifting from reverse to first - go into second and then first gear.
I guess usually do something like this too: Downshift to the lights. It seems to help keep things all in sync, and I think on older standard trannys it worked better. If the red light is long then I'll usually sit in neutral to save the clutch, but if it changes as I'm downshifting [every light in SoCal has a sensor, so there's no sense in timing them] I'm already in gear and rolling...

Just driving technique, I guess...
Mike E
Old 7/16/07, 10:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen simillar things in just about every manual I have ever driven. If it does it once in a blue moon, its normal. Reverse on most tranny's can be a touch fussy on most manuals too. Typically just putting it in 2nd and right back out in the gate fixes it. I find I impulsively do it at times sitting around in neutral from years of driving manuals. Just in and out of the gate. I also do it just about every time I put a car in reverse for the first time when I start, just 2nd to R in a split second out of habit.

Quick Reply: Couldn't shift into 1st gear (TR-3650)!