GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Considering mods; looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/13, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering mods; looking for advice

I have installed a K&N CAI on our 2009 GT recently. We are now considering adding headers, mid-pipes and/or exhaust. We are more concerned with performance/additional HP than sound and would actually not prefer not to alter the classic Mustang sound much at all, if any. Does anyone have recommendations? We are looking at and considering the BBK long-tube ceramic headers, catted-shorty x-pipes and axel-back American Thunder exhausts. Thoughts? Also, for those that have done such mods, did you have a local performance shop do the install? Did you have before and after dyno test? We live in the Houston, TX area and are thinking about riding down to Hennessy Performance to see if they would consider doing the work. Thanks in advance!
Old 6/23/13, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thing I would do is get a different CAI and a tuner. I believe the K&N is a no tune required CAI. Then go with your exhaust mods. Your going to need the tuner when you install your long tubes anyway.
Old 6/23/13, 08:10 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a tuner. You're going to need it if you keep modding the car, plus that's where you'll gain a decent amount of power. A catted x pipe will help keep the rasp down a bit.
Old 6/24/13, 04:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Agree with the recommendations above, a Tuner should be very high on your shopping list.
Old 6/25/13, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get rid of the knn,buy the jlt 110mm,the knn is a bottle neck compared to this one,as well buy the longtubes http://www.brenspeed.com/20546.html

I have them,hold up great,compared to stainless wich I had before that turn into many colors and dont look as good plus there 1 3/4" and have a better sound to it in my opinion then the stainless,as well consider the detroitrockers,have nothing more then good things to tell you about them,rough idle in sound but dont make the hole car shake and have a decent increase in hp,and you got to get the 4.1 ford racing gears,makes a huge increase down low where these mustangs lack because they have a small engine,and of course get a brenspeed sct programmer,since they made the detroit rockers,they have good tunes and its included if yu buy the programmer
Old 6/25/13, 01:09 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Victorfriessen
Get rid of the knn,buy the jlt 110mm,the knn is a bottle neck compared to this one

The real "bottleneck" is your puny throttle body
Old 6/25/13, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Idk about Hennessy... I've heard countless times that they're a bunch of ****** who overcharge for everything. (then again, that's word of mouth though)

I 4th the vote for a tuner next. Gears are nice too!
Old 6/26/13, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Titan500,

What is your budget in regards to parts & labor? We can put a package together for you based on your budget and ultimate goals.

Let me know your thoughts? You can reach me at tim @ steeda.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

TJ