GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Computer resets itself?

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/07, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Computer resets itself?

I was talking to the service department at a Ford dealership, and a seemingly knowledgeable guy told me not to worry about warranty issues resulting from adding a CAI and tune. He said that the computer is pretty smart and resets itself anyway. He said that you notice a big hp increase when you flash the computer, but over about 3 months of driving, it sets itself back to factory specs. You don't notice because it is gradual. He recommended reflashing at every oil change to keep it fresh. I've never heard anything like that before. He also said I could use pretty much any CAI and ignore the CEL. The computer would eventually compensate on its own without incident. Huh? Should I be listening to someone (anyone) at a dealership?
Old 3/20/07, 10:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard such crap in my life. The stock PCM is going to compensate over time 6% fuel (roughly)? After driving lean and possibly detonation and failure in the mean time? You must tune ANY CAI. Don't litsen to him, it doesn't sound right at all.
Old 3/21/07, 12:44 AM
Cobra R Member

I heard a similar story about it being the maf sensor and not the pcm that resets it but I don't believe it. Maybe on older models? I dont htink anyone has had this problem on the s197
Old 3/21/07, 05:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
He has some stuff mixed up.

Adaptive learning can compensate for minor fluctuations (+/- 20% in the long term fuel trims), the idle trim is learned, etc... but the PCM doesn't revert to the stock calibration after a set number of drive cycles. You could reset the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) by pulling the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes, but that will just wipe out the adaptive learning, idle trim, etc... having no effect on the actual calibration.

I've had a few CAI vendors tell me not to worry about the air transfer function because adaptive learning will take care of it, and to just install their cone filter without any modifications to the air transfer function. LOL. Adaptive learning and knock sensors are to be used as contingencies and not replacements for proper tuning.
Old 3/21/07, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I have heard something like every 80 starts it resets itself...... but who knows
Old 3/21/07, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor

Exactly, you have to use the transfer function to tune it out. The computer is actually known to OVER compensate with adaptive learning.

CR
Old 3/21/07, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Well that guy is a idiot to put it bluntly. I can ssure you he is incorrect. I just removed my CAI and Tune to take the car in and it now seems like a horse with a limp leg. My wife even said to me. Put that stuff back on now the car is gutless.

Richard
Old 3/21/07, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's what I thought. Thanks for your input. I'm looking forward to getting a CAI and tune. All my mods are cosmetic and you guys make me jealous. I really should stay off of this site...