GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

cold weather and error code p0171&p0174 has something in common??

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/07, 01:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cold weather and error code p0171&p0174 has something in common??

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask you a few questions to the ones with cai's and tunes.
I am in florida now, an d the weather is real cold.
I installed the tunes from Doug (the racer 93 tune is by far the most exciting to have on the car)
but this is what happens to me:
I install the tune, and it works fine for a few miles, then if I stop the car, when I turn it on again, it gives me the light with an error, every single time, I get those 2 error codes, with all the tunes, ttorq. race and perf. all 93 octanes.
I had that happen to me a few times with the torq. tune in the '05 stang, but I reflash the tune, and it goes away.
but not now, every time they come back after a few miles.

I am waiting until monday to talk to Doug, but maybe some of you had this happen and it is an easy fix, and I can do it myself.
the car is a 2007 5sp GT with a CAI C&L racer and it also has the SLP loud mouths. that is all the mods I have so far.
my guess was the real cold weather, but I am worried about keep using the car if the codes still appear, or maybe don't pay that much attention to them...
the errors mean the car is running too lean.
again, man what an amazing tune the race 93!!!
a few other questions about it though, did you guys noticed that the RPM's take longer to go down when you release the shift? it stays up in revs when you put it on neutral for example getting to a red light.
it also, (and this could be my imagination) makes the car sound louder(I have the SLP LM's)
what are the other changes of the tune other than the speed limit unlock and raising a few hundred rpms the limiter?
Thanks for the help I am still a newbie when it comes to these fabulous cars.
Old 2/4/07, 04:14 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Patan, if these error codes your getting state your Air/fuel is running too lean along with your RPM's not dropping off in between shifts ? It means your going to have to contact Doug and have him send you a new updated file, however I'm also quite certain that he's more than likely going to request you take your car to a local tuner and have your air/fuel checked so he'll know exactly how much more fuel will need to be added and how much timing will need to be backed off..In the meantime ? I would either reinstall you're stock tune or don't run your Stang until you speak with Doug first...
Old 2/4/07, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same proble with the 93 race tune. The car sounded really loud and ideled high. i took it around the block and got the same two error codes. Thats when i called doug and bought a new tune for 91 oct. I bought a steeda cold air kit and handheld on ebay and thought i was getting these codes due to Calibration errors???and I had 91oct in the car. After I got the new tune for 91 I had no problems.
Old 2/4/07, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay, one comment from Florida and one from New York concerning cold weather operations of their cars tune.

I'm in St. Louis where the temp is in the single digits.

I'm running the 93 octane race tune with ram air. I havent experienced any of the codes you all are referring. Could happen though, have to wait and see.

By all means have your car/s dyno'd and email or fax the results to Doug. He'll be all over the issue in a matter of minutes.

In the mean time check every nut and bolt having to do with the CAI. Something may have worked loose.
Old 2/4/07, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks guys, I will talk with Doug monday, he is awesome when it comes to service and customer attention, but since this happened over the weekend, I needed some feedback just in case.
thanks for the info guys!
I guess I will install the stock tune and air filter again until tomorrow.
Old 2/4/07, 12:28 PM
Cobra Member

The cold weather has nothing to do with the lean codes and running lean. You either have a loose intake fitting which is allowing unmetered air into the intake past the MAF which is creating the lean condition or the tune simply needs adjusting. Also do you have 93 Octane Fuel? I would assume so but since i am in Ca. and we only have 91 I figure i should ask the obvious.

Richard
Old 2/4/07, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

yes, we have 93 here.
I checked the installation, and no loose stuff at all.
I guess i'll just need a little tune adjustment.
Old 2/5/07, 07:38 AM
GT Member

Have my new tune since friday and no problems
Old 2/5/07, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok Guys, it is all fixed now, All I can say is that Doug is the man!!
Like always, Customer service first, Doug rock!