GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CMDP and Tune issues.

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/07, 04:31 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CMDP and Tune issues.

I just put the CMDP and Tune combo in and the car feels slugish, bogs down and the Gas Milage dropped to 15mpg highway. I step on it the engine sounds like is moving but it does not go. the tune I had before I could roast the tires now i can't get the car to chirp off the line. has anyone experienced this with the Delete Plates? any ideas, could it be running real rich?

I am trying to contact my tuner (BamaChips Race CMDP 93 tune)

2005 Mustang GT Auto
JLTII CAI
Roush UDP
FRPP Steeda CMDP
MAC Axle Back
Old 7/23/07, 04:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
No such experience here.... gotta be a tune issue I would think.

Good luck getting ahold of Doug.......
Old 7/23/07, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd check to see if any DTCs are set. If not, reflash with your original tune. If the symptoms get better, the problem has to be the tune file.
Old 7/23/07, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No issues here, I've got Doug's tune, but I've got a stick, not an auto.

Had mine on a couple months now with no issues.
Old 7/23/07, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the exact opposite with mine. I have an 06 auto with a tune from Doug and my mods are pretty close to yours.
Old 7/23/07, 07:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
I got the exact opposite with mine. I have an 06 auto with a tune from Doug and my mods are pretty close to yours.
I know, I been following your mods on your car, and one of the reasons I went with Bama was because of your experience.

I emailed Doug but have not heard from him yet,
I played with the tune a bit more today and it seems like I lost a lot of power at the launch, it shifts hard and it chirps 2nd and 3rd but I can't spin the tires, it feels like it takes a second or two for the motor to get up to RPM. I guess it's easiest to explain it like it's huge lag, feels like turbo lag...
I am used to instant REV when I step on it with my EVO tune without the CMDP.
Old 7/23/07, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Willie
I'd check to see if any DTCs are set. If not, reflash with your original tune. If the symptoms get better, the problem has to be the tune file.
Which tune do you mean when you say "original tune?"

I'd check all of the connections from the plate install while you're waiting to hear back from Doug.
Old 7/23/07, 07:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well they say you will lose your bottom end torque with the plates.
Old 7/23/07, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

That's debatable. I've seen dyno graphs that prove a power gain from 2500 up, and personally I did not feel any loss of power down low (on 3.31's, and be4 UDP's to boot) when installing mine. I will say that my VMP 93 CMDP tune was much more responsive down low than my Bama Race CMDP tune.
Old 7/23/07, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RUgoinUp?
Which tune do you mean when you say "original tune?"

I'd check all of the connections from the plate install while you're waiting to hear back from Doug.
Let me ask you a question then, when I was pulling off the Fuel Rails two injectors pulled off the rails, I did not remember which pport they came from, I noticed that each injector had different numbers so I don't know if that made a difference, my gut says no but you never know. forgive my ignorance on this, I am a old school carb guy.

I also notice a different exhaust sound with tune, it sounds like a gurgling noise, when I installed the Virginia Emissions Tune from EVO (87 /W CMDP, CAI) I did not here this sound, the exhaust sounds normal and there was better throttle response and no lag.
So this sounds like a tune issue, I just find this strange because no one has had problems with dougs tunes.
Old 7/23/07, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't see that making a difference, but I can't say for sure. You could always switch them.

If you didn't use Taco Bill's How-To: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65977 have a look at it to see if you missed something during the R&R.
Old 7/23/07, 08:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RUgoinUp?
I don't see that making a difference, but I can't say for sure. You could always switch them.

If you didn't use Taco Bill's How-To: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65977 have a look at it to see if you missed something during the R&R.
Yes I used Bills How too.. very well done, I would have missed the two hidden bolts without it...

Originally Posted by Willie
The tune before was without the CMDP installed.
Old 7/23/07, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2K05GT
The tune before was without the CMDP installed.
Sounds like you know better than to install that.
Old 7/23/07, 11:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Email responded to....
Old 7/24/07, 02:17 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the respond Doug,

Did not help, since I do not have longtube headers, But I want them, have any extra

My car is just weird I always run into these issues with tunes, Ford replaced the PCM because is was acting strang, then somthing was binding up the Cam Phaser gear. speaking of that, thats how is feels, like the cams are not advancing or retarding under load, does that make sense?
this is how it felt when the VCT was not working, only difference is that I got a CEL and a Cam position sensor error. either I nuts or my car is
Old 7/25/07, 10:26 PM
GT Member

My Tuner Experience:
When I first purchased my car I installed a K&N Air charger and it was ok but I wanted more So I purchased a SCT Tuner from V8 Power for $360.00 and I ran across a deal for a used JLT II CAI $75.00, also bought a tune for it from V8 Power for $80.00. It ran strong and I liked the performance.

I attended a Dyno Day event and the Tuner ran my car and almost as quickly as he revved it up; he shut down my car and said that my car is dangerously lean over 16, he ripped the straps off my car and yelled “when will people learn not to use Mail order tunes” and told me not to drive it or I will damage the motor. Well I contacted V8 Power and complained to them about this crappy tune, they fixed it but he told me never to call him again. It ran ok but I did not trust V8 Power, so I scheduled a Dyno Tune and 4.10 Gear Install for the next month.

Well just before the Dyno Tune and Gears, I got a Cam Position Failure error, and dropped the car off for service and the dealer took about a week but said they said they fixed the problem and so I finally got the car to the Local performance shop and got the Gears, and dyno tune ($200.00). But the car got the Cam position error again a week later, So this time the car spent a three weeks in Ford service for diagnostics on this issue, which turned out to be the Cam Phaser Gear was binding so ford replaced under a TSB but the Dyno tune would never work after the repair.

Then I talked to Fred at Evolution in May 2006, he was very helpful, listened to my concerns and issues, and sent me a solid Tune (175.00). I got his 87, 93 and 100 octane set. The 87 had a bog or lag from the idle to 2500 rpm then it worked fine and 100 tune was worse, the car felt like I had 4 300 pound passengers and I could not use them, The 93 was a nice tune, strong, with almost immediate response and the engine revved up quick, bar far my favorite tune for street and Strip, best time (13.31@104).

This year I needed to get my car emissions inspected in Virginia and I could not pass, no one had an answer for me. I called Fred at Evo and he stepped up and sent me a Tune that allowed me to pass emissions with my mods.

I decided to get Charge Motion Delete Plates, so I have been reading that Doug@Bamachips has awesome Tunes and Support so I went with his 93 Oct, Race Tune with CMDP and well, I am less than satisfied with it, The lag I experienced with the 87 Evo tune was there even worse, From idle to 2800 at WOT the car only accelerates like it was only 3/4 throttle then it would go, I tried to power brake it then launch but the car will not spin the tires, before the Bama tune It would roast them doing this. I don’t think CMDP affect this much low end power.

My car has no power and it sucks, I was hoping for a better experience because so many people liked Doug, but he is hard to reach, At least with Fred you can call the office and get help, forget about emailing Fred, you won't hear back ever. Bama’s web site does not have a phone number to get help so I guess I wasted another $75.00 on another useless file on my hard drive.

I am now trying to contact Fred again and have him add CMDP to the only decent tune I have had, but so far no response as of yet.

So I have tried Dyno Tunes, Mail order tunes and they all suck... No support and I have wasted over $530.00 bucks on Crap. Plus $450.00 on gears and $365.00 on a SCT Xcal II.

I am about ready to put the car back to stock and say F**k it. I have about had it, this was supposed to be fun but so far I have only gotten crap and frustration.

2005 Mustang GT
5R55S Automatic Stock
JLT II CAI
FRPP CMDP
FRPP 4.10
Roush UDP
Mac Axle Backs
Old 7/25/07, 11:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2K05GT
My Tuner Experience:
When I first purchased my car I installed a K&N Air charger and it was ok but I wanted more So I purchased a SCT Tuner from V8 Power for $360.00 and I ran across a deal for a used JLT II CAI $75.00, also bought a tune for it from V8 Power for $80.00. It ran strong and I liked the performance.

I attended a Dyno Day event and the Tuner ran my car and almost as quickly as he revved it up; he shut down my car and said that my car is dangerously lean over 16, he ripped the straps off my car and yelled “when will people learn not to use Mail order tunes” and told me not to drive it or I will damage the motor. Well I contacted V8 Power and complained to them about this crappy tune, they fixed it but he told me never to call him again. It ran ok but I did not trust V8 Power, so I scheduled a Dyno Tune and 4.10 Gear Install for the next month.

Well just before the Dyno Tune and Gears, I got a Cam Position Failure error, and dropped the car off for service and the dealer took about a week but said they said they fixed the problem and so I finally got the car to the Local performance shop and got the Gears, and dyno tune ($200.00). But the car got the Cam position error again a week later, So this time the car spent a three weeks in Ford service for diagnostics on this issue, which turned out to be the Cam Phaser Gear was binding so ford replaced under a TSB but the Dyno tune would never work after the repair.

Then I talked to Fred at Evolution in May 2006, he was very helpful, listened to my concerns and issues, and sent me a solid Tune (175.00). I got his 87, 93 and 100 octane set. The 87 had a bog or lag from the idle to 2500 rpm then it worked fine and 100 tune was worse, the car felt like I had 4 300 pound passengers and I could not use them, The 93 was a nice tune, strong, with almost immediate response and the engine revved up quick, bar far my favorite tune for street and Strip, best time (13.31@104).

This year I needed to get my car emissions inspected in Virginia and I could not pass, no one had an answer for me. I called Fred at Evo and he stepped up and sent me a Tune that allowed me to pass emissions with my mods.

I decided to get Charge Motion Delete Plates, so I have been reading that Doug@Bamachips has awesome Tunes and Support so I went with his 93 Oct, Race Tune with CMDP and well, I am less than satisfied with it, The lag I experienced with the 87 Evo tune was there even worse, From idle to 2800 at WOT the car only accelerates like it was only 3/4 throttle then it would go, I tried to power brake it then launch but the car will not spin the tires, before the Bama tune It would roast them doing this. I don’t think CMDP affect this much low end power.

My car has no power and it sucks, I was hoping for a better experience because so many people liked Doug, but he is hard to reach, At least with Fred you can call the office and get help, forget about emailing Fred, you won't hear back ever. Bama’s web site does not have a phone number to get help so I guess I wasted another $75.00 on another useless file on my hard drive.

I am now trying to contact Fred again and have him add CMDP to the only decent tune I have had, but so far no response as of yet.

So I have tried Dyno Tunes, Mail order tunes and they all suck... No support and I have wasted over $530.00 bucks on Crap. Plus $450.00 on gears and $365.00 on a SCT Xcal II.

I am about ready to put the car back to stock and say F**k it. I have about had it, this was supposed to be fun but so far I have only gotten crap and frustration.

2005 Mustang GT
5R55S Automatic Stock
JLT II CAI
FRPP CMDP
FRPP 4.10
Roush UDP
Mac Axle Backs
Sounds like you've just had alot of bad luck. Your obviously in the minority when it comes to dissatisfaction with Doug's and mail order tunes in general. I've got the same mods as you minus the gears and have noticed an improvement with every addition.
Old 7/26/07, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear about this.

It sounds to me that your car has issues that are related to the cam phaser gear, and not necessarily a tune. IMO it's time to sell/trade THIS car. I"d bet the farm that you will not have the same problem if you got another S197. If however this experience has left you with a bad taste in your mouth then by all means move on to a different model.
Old 7/26/07, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

When you're messing around with your daily driver you take on risks of even the simplest thing going wrong, but I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Why can't you just put the factory CM plates back in and go back to your previous tune? I realize it is a pain, but you're removing another variable that may or may not be causing the problems. You've got a nice car, and will regret getting rid of it.
Old 7/26/07, 09:08 AM
GT Member

I dont know about anyone else but at least on my car it would appear that Doug erred to the rich (safe) side of the A/F...IMO

Quick Reply: CMDP and Tune issues.