GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/06, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering, is there a problem with pushing in the clutch for extended amounts of time? I don't, but wonder if it's ok to do.
Old 1/26/06, 09:04 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you didn't push it all the way you would be "riding the clutch" which is very bad
Old 1/26/06, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not such a good idea, at least not a habbit you should develop. This will cause premature wear of the throw out bearing.
Old 1/26/06, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not an expert, but I don't think holding in the clutch (all the way) for an extended period of time will cause any wear. When you push and release the clutch, I think it wears the throwout bearing, and of course when you engage the clutch in gear it wears the clutch plates themselves. When it is just held though, I think nothing is moving and therefore there's no wear. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 1/26/06, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had manuals on my Accord, Legend, Mustang and Corvette and I've always heard it's better to sit in neutral at a stoplight with the clutch out than sitting in first with the clutch in. The reason is that the throwout bearing wears more while the clutch is pushed in. Oh, and while I've always sat at a light in neutral without having the clutch depressed, I was always on the brake to keep the brake light lit for safety sake. I learned my lesson after someone hit me while I was stopped at a light and said he never saw my brake lights.
Old 1/26/06, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bryman@January 26, 2006, 10:09 PM
I'm not an expert, but I don't think holding in the clutch (all the way) for an extended period of time will cause any wear. When you push and release the clutch, I think it wears the throwout bearing, and of course when you engage the clutch in gear it wears the clutch plates themselves. When it is just held though, I think nothing is moving and therefore there's no wear. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Sorry, you are wrong, well at least on the throw out bearing part. The moment you start to push the clutch until the moment you let go of it, the throw out brearing is spinning. It doesn't not matter if you are in gear or if the car is in neutral.

Over a period of a few years, if you are the type of person that sits at a light or stop sign with the clutch pedal depressed all the time, you will have premature bearing failure. If you have every heard it it is pretty much unmistakeable. As soon as you push the clutch you will hear a screaming or growling noise. It will only be there when you push the clutch pedal.

To fix, you have to remove the transmisson. So having said that, it is not a great habit to have.
Old 1/26/06, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by steevr@January 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
I learned my lesson after someone hit me while I was stopped at a light and said he never saw my brake lights.

Very good point! Many people don't realize that.
Old 1/26/06, 10:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by cyoon@January 26, 2006, 11:54 PM
I was just wondering, is there a problem with pushing in the clutch for extended amounts of time? I don't, but wonder if it's ok to do.
It will wear on the throwout bearing. If you need to replace it you might as well put in a new clutch too, because you have to take everything out to get at it. Oh, and in the Mustang you might as well replace the slave cylinder as well.
Just try not to press it in the whole time you're waiting for a light. Use some good judgement and you'll be fine.
Old 1/27/06, 01:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I believe with the clutch pushed in you will also put pressure on the thrust bearing of the crank shaft.
Old 1/27/06, 02:17 PM
GT Member

And, if it's a real long light, your left leg could get tired
Old 1/27/06, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by cop on my back@January 27, 2006, 12:37 AM
Sorry, you are wrong, well at least on the throw out bearing part. The moment you start to push the clutch until the moment you let go of it, the throw out brearing is spinning. It doesn't not matter if you are in gear or if the car is in neutral.
The throw out bearing is spinning all the time in modern manuals. It's also designed for multiple car lifetimes, much tougher than it needs to be (unless cost cutting measures make that false for the Mustang's tranny). There's really not much chance of it failing prematurely.
Old 1/27/06, 11:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by HastaLaVista@January 27, 2006, 5:59 PM
The throw out bearing is spinning all the time in modern manuals. It's also designed for multiple car lifetimes, much tougher than it needs to be (unless cost cutting measures make that false for the Mustang's tranny). There's really not much chance of it failing prematurely.
When you press in the clutch the throwout bearing makes contact with the pressure plate thus disengaging the clutch. It spins until it starts to make contact with the pressure plate. You will see wear on the pressure plate fingers and the throwout bearing and the clutch fork. The throwout bearing with the clutch in, will be wearing slightly on the shaft. Over (a long) time this can cause wear to the bearing.
#1--Use good sense, just use the clutch when you need to shift,it only takes a second.