GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Clutch chattering or throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/11, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch chattering or throw out bearing

I have an 06 GT 5 speed with 77k miles. Idling the car in neutral with foot off the clutch everything was fine. When I turned on the a/c I would get a chattering or rattling. The other day I put Hot Rod cams in it and now the noise is more noticeable. In both situations, when I push in the clutch it disappears. It has a Centerforce clutch. Pretty sure it is the Dual Friction model. I do not know if the previous user replaced the throw out bearing. My guess is the throw out bearing or is this normal on the Mustang?

Last edited by ScrmnGT; 8/27/11 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11/5/11, 01:08 AM

The cams will make more noise . The spec stage2 clutch I have makes alot of noise and sucks and makes a grinding/scraping noise when I take off or down shift clutch chatter with performamce clutches are normal but to much is not
Old 11/5/11, 01:38 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Something I've noticed talking to people who have a dual disc clutch and something I'm recently finding out is that the input shaft on the trans needs to be greased with a dual disc unit. The guys that installed my Mcleod failed to do so and the throwout bearing is going south in short order (I have maybe 12k on the clutch with a brand new throwout bearing) and a buddy of mine suffered the same problem when he installed a double disc clutch on his Mach.
Old 11/5/11, 06:05 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like there is a little bit of free play between the clutch and tob. Firewall adjuster should get that out. Also the aftermarket tob's are never recommended. Ford Racing tob's are pretty much a must with aftermarket clutches.
Old 11/5/11, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ScrmnGT
I have an 06 GT 5 speed with 77k miles. Idling the car in neutral with foot off the clutch everything was fine. When I turned on the a/c I would get a chattering or rattling. The other day I put Hot Rod cams in it and now the noise is more noticeable. In both situations, when I push in the clutch it disappears. It has a Centerforce clutch. Pretty sure it is the Dual Friction model. I do not know if the previous user replaced the throw out bearing. My guess is the throw out bearing or is this normal on the Mustang?
When the car is cold I get noise too when I turn on the A/C. Why would you think it is a clutch issue if it makes noise when he A/C comes on?
Old 11/5/11, 12:37 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Sounds like there is a little bit of free play between the clutch and tob. Firewall adjuster should get that out.
05-up are hydraulic...

Originally Posted by bob
Something I've noticed talking to people who have a dual disc clutch and something I'm recently finding out is that the input shaft on the trans needs to be greased with a dual disc unit.
as far as greasing the splines on a dual disk, isnt there any worry of grease spinning onto the friction surfaces? maybe a graphite lube or very light coating of moly disulfide grease? just curious as I need to put a clutch in mine over the winter too...
Old 11/10/11, 06:57 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
as far as greasing the splines on a dual disk, isnt there any worry of grease spinning onto the friction surfaces? maybe a graphite lube or very light coating of moly disulfide grease? just curious as I need to put a clutch in mine over the winter too...
Ford makes a grease for the GT500's app (i'm guessing it will work with other dual disc setups as well.) XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant (ESA-M1C75-B) Per thier instructions, you apply a small amount to the clutch hub splines then the input shaft must be cleaned and lightly lubricated with grease. (discretion seems to be the operative term here when applying the grease).

<edit> I'm willing to bet what Ford describes as "lightly greased" would just pretty much be a sheen on both the clutch hub and input shaft since any concentration of grease that you could see would more than likely be spun off. <edit>

The shop that did my clutch install said they've had alot of problems with aftermarket throwout bearings and I'm having problems with mine. The Mcleod clutch is a direct fit part and if the car sits a week or more, you can feel the clutch hanging on the shaft when you first engage it which indicates to me that the shaft has not been lubed and possibly not cleaned.

Last edited by bob; 11/10/11 at 07:01 PM.