GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Clutch blew up!

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/07, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch blew up!

So shortly after I installed my LTH's I did a hard run, ran her through gears 1 - 4. Almost immediately after I hear this noise like the bottom of the car was being pumelled with gravel. Pulled over and let her idle and the noise stopped after about 30 seconds. Everything looked ok under the car and under the hood. Engine was running fine. Drove it home with no issues.
Next time I drive it, it was fine until I ran her through the gears again. Same thing.
Noise stopped after a couple of minutes this time.
The third time it did it and the second time I looked under the car and still couldn't find anything wrong but I noticed the clutch is not working well.
It felt rather soft. Well I finally crawl under there with a trouble light and I found the problem.
Looking through the inspection hole in the bell housing I can see that the pressure plate looks like someone beat the crap out of it with a ball peen hammer. Then I notice that there is a C-shaped crack in the bell housing about 2 1/2" inches across and it's pushed out about 1/8" of an inch.
I would guess that a spring let go and this is the result of the flying shrapnel that was being flung around inside the bell housing.
What amazes me is that the car is still drivable. Obviosly it's parked until I can get it fixed though.
Stupid part is that the car does get run hard but not abused.
The car has only a little over 10,000 miles on it and the original tires are in great shape. Despite all the mods I have done I am hoping the dealer doesn't deny warranty as in my mind this is clearly a warranty issue.
I have an aluminum D/S and poly urethane engine mounts which technically are considered part of the drive train. I hope they don't use that as an excuse.
I guess I'll take it to the dealer and take my chances. If they don't cover it I guess it's time for something better in terms of a new clutch and a replacement bell housing. Tillman might be getting MORE of my hard earned cash!
Anyone out there had any experience with this type of warranty issue?
Old 6/10/07, 11:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Eek... Well dont mention any of the mods you have for starters. I've had my car in for dash rattles and they dont know my suspensions been dropped. I suspect if they did they would deny working on it because of cause and effect logic.

But now, I haven't heard of anything like that. Hope that works out in your favor.
Old 6/11/07, 01:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if a dealer can get Ford to pay for any repair they will do it. Remember, dealer service centers don't make money by NOT fixing stuff.
Old 6/11/07, 06:03 AM
Cobra Member

When I purchased my car the dealer said that the clutch was only on warranty for 12 months.
Old 6/11/07, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
302svt,

The only real way to know is to pull out that little warrantee card that is in your book and read it. I don't remember seeing anything about 12k for the clutch (I'm pretty sure it was 36k like the rest of the car), but it has been a couple of years since I read mine!
Old 6/11/07, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah it's 36k or 3 years just like the rest of the car. I checked the warranty book and that's what it says. So there!!!!
I'm going to beleive my warranty book over what some babbling salesman says.