GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

changing the pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/06, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
changing the pinion angle

A question for owners with adjustable LCA's...

For a lowered suspension (1.25" to 1.5")...to get better traction, were adjustable LCA's enough, or did you also need the LCA relocation brackets?

If I want to change the pinion angle and eliminate wheel hop and get better traction--should I lengthen the LCA?
Old 9/22/06, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt
A question for owners with adjustable LCA's...

For a lowered suspension (1.25" to 1.5")...to get better traction, were adjustable LCA's enough, or did you also need the LCA relocation brackets?

If I want to change the pinion angle and eliminate wheel hop and get better traction--should I lengthen the LCA?
You need to consider getting the rear axle kit to lower the axle anchor point for the LCA. Now that you have lowered the chassis, the instant center of the rear suspension linkage is un-optimized (too low). There are at least two suppliers of these brackets (BMR for one). The BMR has multiple holes to 'tune' the linkage. There is also a bolt on upper bracket for the UCA for the same purpose. Getting the instant center right will do more for wheel hop than pinion angle. You probably need both before you need to worry about pinion angle, and if you really want to get pinion angle right you need to spend some money for chassis dyno time to dial it in.
Old 9/22/06, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. The "instant center" is what I was meaning to say, in spite of my subject line. I guess my original question can better be phrased...Can I impoved the instant center by using only adjustable lca's? or will i need the relocation brackets?
Old 9/22/06, 09:00 PM

For otimal instant center I would pick up either the BMR or CHE LCA relocation brackets. If you look at your LCA's you will notice that the axle end is now higher than the chassis end when the car is sitting on level ground. For your drop I'd use the upper hole. This would put the LCA's near level.
Also once the LCA relocation brackets are installed a pinion angle adjustment is recommended. -3degrees is ideal.
Old 9/23/06, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
Thanks. The "instant center" is what I was meaning to say, in spite of my subject line. I guess my original question can better be phrased...Can I impoved the instant center by using only adjustable lca's? or will i need the relocation brackets?
Adjusting pinion angle will not have any significant change on the instant center (IC), To change IC favorably after lowering , you need to drop the back of the LCA and drop the back of the UCA. This will correct the IC by raising it. Go to the BMR web site to see thier kit. The rear axle bracket has two additional lower anchor points to tune to.