GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Centrifigal vs twin screw supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/08, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centrifigal vs twin screw supercharger

I was wondering what the difference is between a centrifigal and a twin screw supercharger is? I mean I know which one is which but i was wondering what are the pros and cons of both. Also what are the most reliable/popular brands of both?
Old 11/9/08, 05:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Lots of info here..... If you have a few minutes, search this forum, you'll find a bunch of good info.

twin screw: ++ low end torque, + top end pull
centri: = low end torque, ++ top end pull
Old 11/9/08, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah it depends on what you want it for, if it is drag racing, then go centri, if you want road racing then go twin screw
Old 11/9/08, 02:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Twin screw makes great low end boost and pulls well all the way up. However, lots of boost down low means you'll have lots of traction issues unless you've got sticky tires and even then it'll be a handful to launch. Does make for an entertaining ride, though, with spinning tires anytime you like. That instant boost feels great (like an old big block musclecar) so I think a twin screw "feels" more powerful than a centrifugal, but if you're just spinning the tires, then what's the point.

Centrifugal doesn't make much low end boost as boost builds linearly with rpm's. This means the centrifugals shine at higher rpm's and at the track when you can exploit wide open throttle. Also, with little boost on the bottom, you can launch easier and get the car moving before the rush of power comes on. Fuel economy stays decent with the centrifugal as you're not always in the boost (I get 24+ mpg on the highway with my Vortech blower and 4.10 gears). I sure love the surge of power in the mid and upper rpm's - much like a turbo.

Both styles of blowers a great, they just deliver their power differently. Both turn quick cars into very fast cars, and both are capable of making very high levels of power.
Old 11/9/08, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
yeah it depends on what you want it for, if it is drag racing, then go centri, if you want road racing then go twin screw

Not necessarily a true statement... What is your reasoning behind this?
Old 11/9/08, 02:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here we go...
Old 11/9/08, 03:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This forum is so kind, I expected at least 5 "do a search" threads. But like Tom said, lots of info on here if you search around using key words like "supercharger best" and so forth.

Twinscrews will get good torque down low, pretty linear torque curve, and good for the street, because the power is there in almost any gear or RPM.

Centris tend to cost a little less, less torque down low, but give you a rush on top end because the torque is building through the RPM range. I've heard people say centris feel faster since you body senses the acceleration curve as it builds torque while the linear torque curve of a twin screw punches in the guts right off the bat and then stays pretty flat, though you are hauling booty.

Can't really go wrong with either, just get enough fuel for the boost level you are going for, and a good tune.
Old 11/9/08, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hatchman
Can't really go wrong with either, just get enough fuel for the boost level you are going for, and a good tune.

+1,000,000
Old 11/9/08, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know if this is true for all twin screws, but on my whipple I get darn near instant full boost when I crack open the throttle all the way at any RPM. That's fun

I think I agree with Hatchman though, A car that builds up power with RPM may feel faster than a car that hits high power and doesn't build up as much. Either way, I think either type of supercharger would be just fine for 90% of people looking for boost. Unless you know you want some specific characteristic, then any boost is fun boost

Last edited by Error404; 11/9/08 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11/9/08, 07:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

"my supercharger is better then yours..."

Old 11/9/08, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
"my supercharger is better then yours..."

I hope that comment was not directed at me, because that's not what I was saying
Old 11/9/08, 09:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by officespace56
Not necessarily a true statement... What is your reasoning behind this?
because i have been in 4 mustangs with almost the same suspension set ups but one had a twin screw the other centri, turbo and the last was a TT. The turbos, really never got into the boost range when road racing but on the track they got a big jump in the middle of the line. The twin screw was a crazy ride and it just didnt stop, which makes me want one. The centri kind of acted like the turbos but it did get a good amount of boost at the bottom but no where near as much as the twinscrew. If you set it up right you might be able to make a centri act like twin screw but you would really know how to set it up and not just take it out of the box and set it up.

Last edited by RedDragon777; 11/9/08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11/10/08, 05:33 AM
GT Member

they are both great and if i could have another mustang in my garage with a twin screw on it that would be super!!! I went with Centri for the price basically...they tend to sell for a bit less...I have not driven a s197 with a twin but drove a few cobras and the power delivery is quite different...you will drive a twin different than a centri...both will take you to the same place though...centri will be smoother getting there...twin you might need to pay more attention to the traction and where the frt end is pointed when you stomp it!!! it really comes down to what you like and what you can afford...In my mind either style (or turbo ) is a great option...I started with a ZEX kit and went to the V2 with Water injection...I like it ...I would probably like a twin or roots just as well...I wanted the Saleen setup but could not afford it at the time...good luck with your decision...
Old 11/10/08, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Error404
I hope that comment was not directed at me, because that's not what I was saying
Nope, not at all. I commented what I did because that's what all these "VS" threads really talk about.

I agree with what you said last. Boost is boost
Old 11/10/08, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Boost is boost
I think Ford is going to have to sell the mustang GT's with some kind of boost to keep up with the LS motor in the new Camaro, I know if Ford had 450 hp to the ground for the GT models, I bet everyone who test drove them would buy it right there on the spot
Old 11/10/08, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
However, lots of boost down low means you'll have lots of traction issues unless you've got sticky tires and even then it'll be a handful to launch. Does make for an entertaining ride, though, with spinning tires anytime you like. That instant boost feels great (like an old big block musclecar) so I think a twin screw "feels" more powerful than a centrifugal, but if you're just spinning the tires, then what's the point.
I agree that a good set of tires and the correct suspension is mandatory. With that said, I run 4.10s with my KB set at 15psi every day on the street, and I have virtually no traction issues. God bless M&H tires.
Old 11/11/08, 08:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
I agree that a good set of tires and the correct suspension is mandatory. With that said, I run 4.10s with my KB set at 15psi every day on the street, and I have virtually no traction issues. God bless M&H tires.
Good point. I'd drive on my drag radials year 'round if it didn't rain so much up here in the Seattle area. So, all season tires are almost mandatory 3/4 of the year for me. Even with my centrifugal Vortech (not building much low end boost) I still have to pay a lot of attention to keeping the tires from spinning on dry pavement (and it's very dicey in the rain since I don't have traction control and a 4,800 rpm stall converter).