Centerforce DF clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/12, 06:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centerforce DF clutch

I am considering upgrading my clutch for 2 reasons:

1. I want the old school muscle car feel of a slightly heavier clutch
2. In anticipation of adding a supercharger down the road.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with less than 17,000 miles on it. It only gets driven during the summer on nice days and does not get tracked or anything. I drive fast sometimes but that is the extent of it. I like to cruise around and hit up some of the car shows. Currently, there is nothing wrong with my OEM clutch.

So far through my research, I am leaning towards the Centerforce DF clutch. Does anyone have this clutch and if so can they provide some feedback on it. It seems like it is the entry level clutch in their line.

Also, does anyone know how much HP/torque can it handle?

CJ Pony Parts is having their gift car sale so I thought it would be a good time to upgrade

Your feedback is much appreciated.
Old 11/3/12, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine for like a month. The pedal is slightly heavier, it lightens after about 500 miles. It grabs higher than stock. It has a soft engagement starting about half way up the pedal travel. It bites EXTREMELY hard the last inch of travel. THERE IS NO SLIP AT ALL. I think the centerforce tech said it was rated at 480 hp at the crank. I dig it. I get rubber in 4th which is cool. It was recommended to me by jake lamotta. I am also running a stock flywheel.
Old 11/3/12, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dom,

Thanks for the feedback! Great to hear you are enjoying your new clutch. Is yours the same as the one I have in the link?

Do you or anyone else know that I will need anything else for the clutch install aside from the disc and pressure plate?

Will I need an alignment tool, new throw out bearing, new pilot bearing, Ford release bearing/slave assembly etc.? I plan on having a shop install my clutch so I am wondering if they will have some of this already (i.e. alignment tool). But I plan to buy everything that I need and then bring it to the shop.

I plan on keeping my stock flywheel and perhaps having it resurfaced. It sounds like unless one is doing some serious drag racing, an aluminum flywheel is really of no benefit.
Old 11/3/12, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
Dom,

Thanks for the feedback! Great to hear you are enjoying your new clutch. Is yours the same as the one I have in the link?

Do you or anyone else know that I will need anything else for the clutch install aside from the disc and pressure plate?

Will I need an alignment tool, new throw out bearing, new pilot bearing, Ford release bearing/slave assembly etc.? I plan on having a shop install my clutch so I am wondering if they will have some of this already (i.e. alignment tool). But I plan to buy everything that I need and then bring it to the shop.

I plan on keeping my stock flywheel and perhaps having it resurfaced. It sounds like unless one is doing some serious drag racing, an aluminum flywheel is really of no benefit.
Anytime man! Yes I have the DF. You'll need the clutch kit, slave assembly, pilot bearing, and a flywheel resurfacing. The shop should have the alignment tool but ask. My car has 80k so I did a rear main seal and oil pan gasket at the same time. You should be good though.
Old 11/3/12, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dom,

Sounds good. I just realized I forgot to paste the link. Here it is:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/centerfor...5-2009/p/CK25/

Did you pay around the same for this kit? About $362?

Did you get a new throw out bearing? Where is the best place to purchase a pilot bearing? I know you can get the slave assembly from Ford.

For anyone out there, CJ's is having the gift card sale going on right now.....so catch in on the good deals!
Old 11/3/12, 09:15 PM
Banned

Dom,

Sounds good. I just realized I forgot to paste the link. Here it is:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/centerfor...5-2009/p/CK25/

Did you pay around the same for this kit? About $362?

Did you get a new throw out bearing? Where is the best place to purchase a pilot bearing? I know you can get the slave assembly from Ford.

For anyone out there, CJ's is having the gift card sale going on right now.....so catch in on the good deals!
Yea that's about what I paid. The TOB is part of the slave assembly. I got mine from brothers in deland. I'd get all the stuff from the same place.
Old 11/3/12, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a CenterForce DF and love it, it gets annoying with a race tune and 410s cause you have too try not too squeal the tires leaving a light haha
Old 11/4/12, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BradGT
I have a CenterForce DF and love it, it gets annoying with a race tune and 410s cause you have too try not too squeal the tires leaving a light haha
Gotta love that! I have the BAMA race tune and I have got the 410's sitting in the garage.

It looks like CJ's has got the TOB/slave assembly for about $209 and the pilot bearing for about $12. Does that sound right to you guys?
Old 11/4/12, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Was just checking out the Centerforce website......does anyone have the Centerforce DFX? I would imagine this clutch is designed more for the track.
Old 11/4/12, 05:29 PM
Banned

Gotta love that! I have the BAMA race tune and I have got the 410's sitting in the garage.

It looks like CJ's has got the TOB/slave assembly for about $209 and the pilot bearing for about $12. Does that sound right to you guys?
Holy **** man! That is waaaayyyyyyyy too expensive for the assembly! You should be able to find one in Dorman for like $100
Old 11/4/12, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by muscledom
Holy **** man! That is waaaayyyyyyyy too expensive for the assembly! You should be able to find one in Dorman for like $100
Thanks Dom, I will look into it further. I will hold off on ordering it for now as I am also wondering if it is something that I really need to do as I have less than 17,000 miles on my car over 7 years..

Just wondering what/where is Dorman? Is Dorman a vendor?
Old 11/5/12, 05:42 AM
Banned

Thanks Dom, I will look into it further. I will hold off on ordering it for now as I am also wondering if it is something that I really need to do as I have less than 17,000 miles on my car over 7 years..

Just wondering what/where is Dorman? Is Dorman a vendor?
Unless your clutch is slipping or you frequent the track I'd go with a different mod. Dorman is an Aftermarket vendor