GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Car is in the hospital

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/05, 07:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my car is at FORD today. Problem started a few weeks ago. When the car is started there is a ticking noise coming from the Passenger side. Sounds like it is from under the valve cover. However, if you turn the car off and then start it again there is no noise. You need to wait at least a 1/2 hour before you start it to hear the noise again. The colder it is the louder it is, but only lasts a few seconds. It sounds as though all of the oil is draining off of the parts and the rockers are starting dry.

FORD is not sure what the problem is but I hope it is not too serious.
Old 3/30/05, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda sounds like an exhaust leak, at the manifold and the cylinder head...
Old 3/30/05, 08:25 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I wish. It is not an exhaust leak since it only does it when you first start the car after it has been sitting for a long time. As soon as you turn the car off, and I am talking seconds after the noise stopped, it will not make the sound no matter how many times you try starting the car. You have to wait at least 30 minutes, which is about the time it takes for all of the oil to drain back into the pan before it makes the noise at startup. I really wish it was an exhaust leak but I have my doubts.

Then again if it is an exhaust issue maybe I can get them to install JBL long throw headers while they are at it
Old 3/30/05, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats why I thik its the exhaust, when you start the car cold it will tick till the block heats up, thus everytime you start after the block is hot no noise, then after the block cools 30 min or so you get the same tick, I had the same problems with a truck that I had awhile back, a new exhaust gasket cured it for me, oh, you might want to make sure you're new cat back system is tight, no leaks, there may be an issue there as well, just my two cents, hope it helps...
Old 3/30/05, 08:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

So the block heats up enough in 2 seconds for the noise to stop? That seems awfully quick to me. I will let you know what the boys at FORD find out.
Old 3/30/05, 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

Good luck John, I hope they find the problem for you and your back on the road soon. It does sound like an oiling issue.
Old 3/30/05, 09:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I can just hear them now "Warranty is void since you installed the MMR kit and flashed the computer".
Old 3/30/05, 09:46 AM
FR500 Member

Hope it's something simple!

Paul
Old 3/30/05, 09:55 AM
FR500 Member

Yeah, John, good luck. That is everyone's nightmare who has mods. Let us know how it goes.
Old 3/30/05, 10:28 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John - this sounds quite similar to a problem I posted about at the end of last year - a 'ticking' sound that has developed on both my GT and my brother's GT. After all this time, it is fairly constant but not 100% noticeable ALL the time - mostly...

Only one or two other people at the time mentioned knowing what I was talking about...

My brother's car was looked at by my dealer's tech and we were informaed it was the 'variable cam timing sprocket fascia' or something to that effect. Basically, it starts to make that noise - doesn't affect performance and will not cause anything bad to happen (except annoyance). The guy told my brother replacements would be available spring so we are waiting to see - have a rough plan to hit that dealer end of next month hoepfully and take care of that and the Shaker TSB.

I will keep you informed if you want about what I find out....

Dang - I actually dug up the original thread Dec 4th!!! Geez..... (I didn't even have MY car yet!)

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...1&st=&p=&#entry
Old 3/30/05, 10:45 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Dave, I read that thread, not quite the same problem I am having. You stated it gets worse as it warms up whereas mine stops immediately a few seconds after the car has been started. I will be calling the dealership in a few hours and post what I find out.
Old 3/30/05, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had a similar problem with my SHO. Ticking at startup, then you would have to let it sit for an hour to get it to do it again. It turns out that the chain tensioners in the SHO V-8 are hydraulically actuated. It took a bit for the oil pressure to adjust them, once the oil drained back off, it would do it again. The ticking noise turned out to be the chain tapping the cover as there was slop in the chain before the tensioners pumped up. There are teeth on the tensioners that were supposed to ratchet out and lock the needed adjustment but were not.

Not sure if there is any similarities between the chain tensioners of the two engines, just thought I would throw it out there.
Old 3/30/05, 11:07 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Good to know....I will keep that one in mind since it is the closest answer to the problem I am having
Old 3/30/05, 01:13 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by adrenalin@March 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
Dave, I read that thread, not quite the same problem I am having. You stated it gets worse as it warms up whereas mine stops immediately a few seconds after the car has been started. I will be calling the dealership in a few hours and post what I find out.
Actually at this point, it goes right from start up and maintains the same loundess/pitch.....

It annoying as heck when i am actively thinking about it.... but I can deal wit it. Looking forward to getting it fixed though... I'll watch to see what you find out John...
Old 3/30/05, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Just got mine back today I had it a month now and already needed a new transmission. All work was done well and they even gave me a loaner car. My only complaint is that now I have 3 small scratches in front of my rear wheel and didn’t notice them till I stopped to fill up. It really shows up on my black GT, oh well I still love this car!!
Old 3/30/05, 07:44 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by killo-11@March 30, 2005, 6:37 PM
Just got mine back today I had it a month now and already needed a new transmission. All work was done well and they even gave me a loaner car. My only complaint is that now I have 3 small scratches in front of my rear wheel and didn’t notice them till I stopped to fill up. It really shows up on my black GT, oh well I still love this car!!
Michael, welcome. Is your trans a manual or automatic? Sorry about the scratches, I hate taking my car in for service unless I can watch it personally.
Actually, I hate taking my car in for service, PERIOD!

Paul
Old 3/30/05, 07:54 PM
GT Member

Yea it really stinks to take it in, I wish they would have given me the new trans and I would have put it in my self. It was a manual and it developed a loud howl after about 800 miles. Weird thing was the howl would go away after the car was warm up but got worse. After about 1200 miles the sound was pretty constant. I guess next I will need to figure out to do paint work in my garage.
Old 3/31/05, 06:54 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Got my car back but it goes back in on Monday when they have more time to work on it. They spent most of the day installing the camber plates and fixing the alignment but they are trying a host of things to fix the noise. First, they are going to install the 2 missing bolts on the flywheel cover, but only 1 tech thinks that is the issue. Once they put those in they will check the exchaust and go from there. I just hope it doesn't require pulling the motor apart.
Old 3/31/05, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@March 31, 2005, 7:57 AM
Got my car back but it goes back in on Monday when they have more time to work on it. They spent most of the day installing the camber plates and fixing the alignment but they are trying a host of things to fix the noise. First, they are going to install the 2 missing bolts on the flywheel cover, but only 1 tech thinks that is the issue. Once they put those in they will check the exchaust and go from there. I just hope it doesn't require pulling the motor apart.

Lets just hope the bolts fix it
Old 4/21/05, 10:59 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by jwede@March 30, 2005, 12:01 PM
I had a similar problem with my SHO. Ticking at startup, then you would have to let it sit for an hour to get it to do it again. It turns out that the chain tensioners in the SHO V-8 are hydraulically actuated. It took a bit for the oil pressure to adjust them, once the oil drained back off, it would do it again. The ticking noise turned out to be the chain tapping the cover as there was slop in the chain before the tensioners pumped up. There are teeth on the tensioners that were supposed to ratchet out and lock the needed adjustment but were not.

Not sure if there is any similarities between the chain tensioners of the two engines, just thought I would throw it out there.

Well Ford had my car for the past 2 days and I just got it back. It was, as you thought, the hydraulic chain tensioner on the passenger side. It was bleeding off when the car was shut down. Looks like a seal went in it (or something). It would appear FORD is aware of the problem and a TSB may be issued since several other people have had the same problem. Fortunately the noise on my car stops after a few seconds but some have the noise as long as the car is running. The replacement part will not be in for a few weeks so I will have to bring it back to the again.

Quick Reply: Car is in the hospital