GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Can you lube or grease stock control arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/07, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you lube or grease stock control arm bushings?

I am thinking my creaking noise from the rear suspension is coming from my stock control arms. Reason, I think this now is the car was completely quite no creaking at all today, the reason - it was raining like crazy. So I am thinking that because of all the water on the bushings that is why the creak stopped. Do you think this may be true?

If so, back to the original question... can I just spray something like Breakfree or do I use grease?
Old 2/22/07, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

You want to use something that will not attack the rubber and will stay...i.e. grease. If you are truly concerned, take it to your dealer and have them drop the control arms and slather them. My dealer is great, so I only suggest this because it's a 20 minute drive and they give me a GT 5-spd loaner while they work on mine.
Old 2/22/07, 09:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
You want to use something that will not attack the rubber and will stay...i.e. grease. If you are truly concerned, take it to your dealer and have them drop the control arms and slather them. My dealer is great, so I only suggest this because it's a 20 minute drive and they give me a GT 5-spd loaner while they work on mine.

I work for a lube company, so I could get you a can of aerosol grease if you need it. Send me an e-mail at work: sbeauchamp@jax.com
I would love to take it to my dealer but they suck. You may have seen me talk about Theodore Robins Ford in Costa Mesa. They basically said my warranty on suspension is void because of my Eibach Pro-Kit and Tokico D-Specs. A-holes! It's just not worth the battle with them. I'll do it on my own.
Old 2/22/07, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you put the Eibach Springs on did you take the plastic tube off of the stock springs and transfer it to the Eibachs? The lowest coil on the spring is supposed to be separated from the strut. I haven't done my swap yet, but I have the parts in the garage and I have read about every post on springs I could.
Old 2/22/07, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

shaun_beauchamp - I know that most people don't appreciate unsolicited advice so this is just a friendly precaution for you. Be careful about posting your e-mail address in a public place. I am a network admin and know a few things about security and this is one way to end up with all sorts of spam and crap.
Old 2/22/07, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the advice. I should have used a PM for that info. If anyone is interested in lubricants in spray form, please visit www.jax.com and contact John Riemer at Pressure-Lube for product details.
Old 2/22/07, 11:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
When you put the Eibach Springs on did you take the plastic tube off of the stock springs and transfer it to the Eibachs? The lowest coil on the spring is supposed to be separated from the strut. I haven't done my swap yet, but I have the parts in the garage and I have read about every post on springs I could.
Yeah I did. I followed everything to a T. I don't think it is anything with the springs or shocks. The noise is pretty crazy, it sounds like a very loud haunted house door.
Old 2/23/07, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Does anyone else have any input on this subject? I just want to know if this is something that needs to be done. I always thought stock rubber bushings did not need to be greased, but I'm hopping they do as I think it's my problem.
Old 2/23/07, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

I would not lubricate the elastomer bushes. They are not designed for that. And what you put on them may make them deteriorate.

Check that all the fasteners are tight. Noise may be coming from your springs as suggested above if there is no elastomer padding between them and the seats. Check for anything else that may be rubbing.