GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI & Predator tune problem

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/05, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed the Steeda CAI today and then installed the Steeda tune via the Predator and was it baaaaad!!!!

Lost all power and torque between 2000 & 3400 RPM anything above 4000RPM was awesome.

So, I was able to get a dyno today and even with the tune by Steeda especially for the CAI it showed exactly what I was feeling, no power between 2000 & 3400 RPM and the mixture was way too lean between those figures also and was extremely lean @ 3700

So, I got the Predator out of the car and told the guy "Here you go, fix her up!" He laughed at me and said that the tuner won't fix anything!! and then tried to sell me the SCT!! Why won't the Predator fix this??

It was too late to call Steeda or Diablo when I got home, so I took off the CAI and then flashed the computer back to the original status.

Any thoughts? Or does anyone else have this set-up and got it to work??

Mike
Old 4/5/05, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you download a Custom Tune from DiabloSport's web site or was the Custom Tune installed in the Predator when you purchsed it? I believe the only Custom Tune for Steeda includes Charge Motion Plates.

I suggest you read this thread:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....pic=19003&st=0
My posts start at #32.

I experienced a similar problem with the C&L Custom Tune from DiabloSport's web site. The problem was with DS Downloader not the Predator, Custom Tune or vehicle. Call Cole @ DiabloSport - (561) 908-0040. Don't give up on the Predator! I am very satisfied now.
Old 4/5/05, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by tmcolegr@April 5, 2005, 6:16 PM
Did you download a Custom Tune from DiabloSport's web site or was the Custom Tune installed in the Predator when you purchsed it?

I experienced a similar problem with the C&L Custom Tune from DiabloSport's web site. Call Cole @ DiabloSport - (561) 908-0040. Don't give up on the Predator! I am very satisfied now.
Waiting shipment of my order from steeda predator,magnaflow axleback,and cold air kit.Question is will i feel the gain from this and is the predator user freindly?
Old 4/5/05, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@April 5, 2005, 7:16 PM
Did you download a Custom Tune from DiabloSport's web site or was the Custom Tune installed in the Predator when you purchsed it?

I experienced a similar problem with the C&L Custom Tune from DiabloSport's web site. Call Cole @ DiabloSport - (561) 908-0040. Don't give up on the Predator! I am very satisfied now.
Yep, I read through all those threads this afternoon and I installed the custom tune from Diablo's web site especially for the CAI I bought.....That's why this is frusterating! And I talked to Cole, but that was before I had the dyno done, I had talked with him about downloading the specific tune.

Thanks for your reply

Mike
Old 4/5/05, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did he mention anything about an updated tune soon to be released for the Steeda Custom Tune? My CAI is from C&L and there were similar issues with throttle response at lower RPMs with the C&L CAI Custom Tune which have been resolved with the new tune. He sent me a test tune that has not yet been released and the new Custom Tune along with resolving the DS Downloader problem has fixed all my problems.
Old 4/5/05, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

This is the reason you need to put it on the dyno no matter who's system you purchased. The guy was not honest with you as you can indeed change the tunes Did you not read the manual at all about how to add fuel?. I have not installed my cold air kit yet but the plan is to do it at the tuners dyno shop. If for some reason I can't get in I'll juce it myself. I'll add 10% each step until its halfass correct. It will still go on the dyno for final fuel air setting.
SCT / Preadtor someone please correct me if I am wrong but as I see it Both will do the very same thing. You can however read the codes with the Preadtor and cannot with the SCT.
Old 4/5/05, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Bill - I'm not sure but I thought the fuel mixture on the Predator was at WOT. You can change two tables. 2000-4000 RPM and 4000-7000RPM

I played with it the other day (by increasing it 25% on both) but I was not confident about my changes so I changed it back. I don't feel comfortable without a a/r gauge or a dyno.

Is this another fuel mixture adjustment besides WOT?
Old 4/5/05, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Thunder Road+April 5, 2005, 6:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thunder Road @ April 5, 2005, 6:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Big D@March 22, 2005, 6:03 PM
I say screw "rice" do what u want to ur car that expresses u and if people dont like it HIT THE GAS LIGHT UP THE WHEELS THERES NO TURNIN BACK JUST BLAST BLAST AWAY!!!!

I like the way you think.... you bought a car mod it how YOU want it. Lots of things look rice ( or as we Okies say hoser) to me like 20" rims, but hotrodding as I have said many times is about individuality. WHO cares if someone else doesnt like it.. or for that matter if they do. Make it yours. Make it individual.
[/b][/quote]

This was fixed as of April 4th. I just downloaded the new tunes and they work great.
Old 4/6/05, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

Originally posted by orthoguy@April 5, 2005, 8:02 PM
Installed the Steeda CAI today and then installed the Steeda tune via the Predator and was it baaaaad!!!!

Lost all power and torque between 2000 & 3400 RPM anything above 4000RPM was awesome.

So, I was able to get a dyno today and even with the tune by Steeda especially for the CAI it showed exactly what I was feeling, no power between 2000 & 3400 RPM and the mixture was way too lean between those figures also and was extremely lean @ 3700

So, I got the Predator out of the car and told the guy "Here you go, fix her up!" He laughed at me and said that the tuner won't fix anything!! and then tried to sell me the SCT!! Why won't the Predator fix this??

It was too late to call Steeda or Diablo when I got home, so I took off the CAI and then flashed the computer back to the original status.

Any thoughts? Or does anyone else have this set-up and got it to work??

Mike
I have the both Steeda CAI and charge motion plates and at first I had the SCT XCalibrator tune. Sam at Steeda worked directly with SCT to get the tune right. It has very good drive ability characteristics and pulls strong throughout the whole RPM range. However I would like it to have a little more low end torque than it does , but that's about the only thing I don't like about the tune. After the Predator came out with the tunes for my setup , I decided to get one of them even though I already had the SCT. I got mine directly from Steeda , so I don't know if I have the same program as you , but I also had some problems. It had poor drive ability on the low end , the idle would hunt and I had to give it a lot more throttle below 2000 RPM than the SCT or it would hesitate. However in the 2000 - 4500 RPM range it had the torque I wanted and would slam you back in the seat. Then on the high end above 45000 RPM it started to strain , unlike the SCT which pulled strong till red line. The drive ability problems weren't bad enough for me to take the tune out and put the SCT one back , till my next problem occurred. One day I kicked it while in second gear and when it hit about 4000 RPM , the computer torque management system didn't like and sent me into what Ford calls "forced limited power mode". All I had to do was clear the two trouble codes and it would run again. But I put the SCT tune back in and took it to Steeda and talked to Sam about it. He said he couldn't do anything about the Predator tune , since he hadn't done any of the work and had no software for it. He said I could either return it or talk to Diablo about it. I've decide to hang on to it for now , since it does all the code reading and data logging and see if Diablo corrects the problems. If they don't I guess I'll return it and get the new SCT when it comes out , since it do the code reading and data logging also ...

BTW , while I had it in Steeda we did some dyno pulls on both the tuners. On the first set of pulls , the Diablo got 297.3 RWHP / 308.0 RWTQ and the SCT got 296.0 RWHP / 312.4 RWTQ , which was a little less than I had gotten on the SCT tune a month earlier. Sam did a little tweaking on the SCT tune only , since he couldn't do anything to the Diablo and we did a second set of pulls. The Diablo got 298.8 RWHP / 309.8 RWTQ , which was a little better than the first pull. The SCT got 304.4 RWHP / 320.1 RWTQ , which pretty good increase in torque and is what I wanted to see ...