GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Intake System Initial Results

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/05, 02:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Purple Hayz+January 26, 2005, 9:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Purple Hayz @ January 26, 2005, 9:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mongoose@January 26, 2005, 7:51 PM
As an engineer I look at this super nice alum. casting as a giant heat exchanger which is what it is. Alum is one of the fastest heat transfer materials known. I would be willing to bet that the dyno runs were with a cold engine and the hood up. When someone bulids this system out of composite material that is very low in heat transfer I will purchase. Take a look at the factory system, The air intake is in the coldest area under that hood and the material is plastic and rubber that have a very low heat transfer numbers. Pull out the trap and change the filter to a high flow like a K&N and I'll bet the numbers are BETTER than the aftermarket systems. MY two cents.
You're overshooting a bit, methinks. Will the charge pick up a bit more heat from an aluminum intake? Certainly. But don't forget he'll be flowing A LOT more air, through a conduit with less bends, and an open filter element (no restrictive airbox). The design of the intake will likely offset the losses due to the warmer charge. Combine that with the tune and his gains should far exceed the set-up you suggested.

My .02
[/b][/quote]
Forget the with a tune line. Lets talk witout a tune or a tune for both and I don't think it will flow that much more if at all. I stand by my first statement. I will measure the air temp in a stock unit as soon as I can locate a electrical set up. Do not have a clue what underhood temp. is. When setup I will do it with the hood closed for a real time reading. We don't race with the hood open. Roll On
Old 1/27/05, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lee,
Thanks for the update. I'm still trying to decide on which (if any) intake/tuner system to purchase and your posts help with that decision. Two quick questions:
1. Do you have any new numbers or updated dyno graphs yet?
2. Does the Diablo tune address the drive-by-wire problems (slow throttle response, torque management, etc.).

Thanks,

The Boss Hog
Old 1/27/05, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I would also like to ask, once you get the Predator, do you need to have a tuner do the tuning or is easy enough for a first timer to just plug it in and download to the car's cpu?
Old 1/27/05, 03:41 PM
Rev

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@December 28, 2004, 9:25 AM
That has been twisted in this forum. You only need a reflash for the MMR for the extra flow beacuse it is bigger guys. If has a larger MAF than stock. The C&L (i belive) is the same size.

The MMR has a filter and larger MAF. The stock is 79mm and the MMR is 85 mm.
Is 79mm a best guess? The stock upper airbox housing is plastic and the MAF bore is not perfectly round, so depending on where you measure.........
Old 1/27/05, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rev,January 27, 2005, 4:44 PM
Is 79mm a best guess? The stock upper airbox housing is plastic and the MAF bore is not perfectly round, so depending on where you measure.........
[/quote]

It is around 79.4 to 79.5 MM. Our unit comes in at about 83mm so that it is a perfect match for our inlet pipe (there will not be a lip in the flow path where the meter ends and the pipe starts). An Exhaust pipe tube based meter that is made from 3 1/2" tubing will come in at 85mm due to the fact that the wall of the pipe is so thin. We could have made our housing that size as well, but it would only end up getting "necked down" to the diameter of the ID of the pipe anyway. I could have made it 87mm to claim to be the "biggest", but it really wouldn't effect the final result. People spend too much time worrying about size numbers and not enough time on flow and the total package.

As far as tuning goes, no tuning will be necessary outside of what is already pre-loaded into the handheld tuner. The only reason why you would ever need to change the tune would be if you make other modifications (headers, off road x-pipe, throttle body, etc.) that actually change your air/fuel ratio and take it away from what is ideal. Even then, you do not have to use a "tuner shop" to fix things, as the Predator gives you control over your air/fuel ratio and timing separately from the tune that is loaded into the processor. And this is why we chose the Predator, as you won't have to rely on "tuners" (people who tune for a living) to re-flash your handheld device in order to compensate for other mods that you do down the road.

You can simply adjust it yourself. All you have to do is check your air/fuel ratio and make the necessary adjustments using the handheld Predator device.
If all that you do to the vehicle is install our intake assembly (or our kit and a cat-back system), then the file that the tuner loads into the computer is correct "as-is" and will not have to be tweaked. The air/fuel should be at a nice/safe level and everything will be as you would expect. Between the tune, our intake assembly, and a Borla cat-back (I am really not sure how much that actually helps) Diablosport saw at least 35 rear wheel horsepower (peak versus peak) and even more in the upper RPM's (up to 50 or so) where the stock vehicle stopped making power. I am trying to get graphs that show all of this, but so far, I only have the graph that shows what just the air meter kit does by itself without timing advance or air/fuel optimization. I do know that Diablo is working on a full write-up about their testing that will be posted on their website, so you might want to keep an eye out for that...

Lee
Old 1/27/05, 10:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Lee how does one check the fuel/air ratio? Does the predator read it? I am aware that it needs to be checked at various throttle settings and the only way I know to do this is on the road or on the dyno.
What if some already has a flash system? Are you going to sell the pipe system without the predator? If so what is the price?
Old 1/28/05, 02:39 PM
V6 Member

Did you guys see the latest from the C&L website???Graph, hp, a/f ratio etc....looks real promising...I'm in

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html