GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C & L Intake Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/05, 05:47 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scca60@May 13, 2005, 9:55 AM
Great review. I just added the same system (C&L with Predator) to my car last week.

Lastly, the cost. I got mine from Mark and Lightningperformance for a lot less than $650. It was at my door 5 days after picking up the phone (including a weekend) and he was very helpfull. Highly recomended.

this price includes the predator tuner...anyway I just order the same package ... I hope it works out well ..

Went for a ride today in my coworkers 2003 cobra thats been modded to 475 RWHP / 490 torque ... OH my god is all I can say... :worship:
Old 5/13/05, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

There is no heat resistant coating that I am aware of. The intake gets warm but not hot, and I'm not sure how much I'm losing from heat, but I'm definitely ahead over the factory air box. Other than that, I'm not qualified to say. You're probably right, but I think it's less than one might think.

As for those who asked about an 87 octane tune. When I downloaded the tune files into the Predator, it added 2 additional tunes to what was already there. One is called "C & L MAF 91 octane" and the other is called "C & L MAF". I believe that that second one is an 87 octane one, but it may be a 93 octane one. Not sure. I had run about 3 tanks of 92 octane through my car before installing the intake, so I just went with the 91 octane tune.

Having said that, and I admit I am no expert, but could you not just load the 91 octane tune since you know "where" it is and take out a few degrees of timing to make it 87 octane compatible? Someone with more smarts than I can probably verify that one.

SCCA60, glad you are able to find a better deal. Always seems to happen to me, I find something I like, wait for a good deal, take the plunge, and then a better one opens up. Oh, well, thems the breaks, I guess. Glad you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Happy motoring!
Old 5/13/05, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe the "C&L MAF" is the 93 octane tune. I use 87 octane fuel as well. I tried the "C&L MAF 91" as-is and with -2 on the global spark adjuster (91 -2 is what I am using currently.) I couldn't really tell any difference between the two. Must be the knock sensors doing their job. Anyway it runs real strong, especially when you put your foot in it. I'm saving my money to have it dyno tuned, hopefully by the guys at Diablosport here in Florida. Good luck!
Old 5/13/05, 06:09 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Eric -
Do the installation instructions show which tune is which?

I didnt think about being stuck with 91 octane or higher.. I want to stay at 87 for now. So I may end up not installing the cai right away

did you Notice any issues with the installation? were the instructions clear? Do you know if your warranty shot now?
Old 5/13/05, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AJC@May 13, 2005, 5:12 PM
Eric -
Do the installation instructions show which tune is which?

I didnt think about being stuck with 91 octane or higher.. I want to stay at 87 for now. So I may end up not installing the cai right away

did you Notice any issues with the installation? were the instructions clear? Do yuo know if your warranty shot now?
AJC,

The instructions are out in the garage right now, I'll go look and PM you in a little while, but I only remember reading to use the 91 octane tune for 91 octane fuel. However, as LimeGT said, you can just take out a couple of degrees of timing and it should be fine.

Issues with the installation: None! Very, very easy, even for a nug like me. Instructions clear: Very clear. They pointed to exactly the parts, hoses, etc., that you have to disconnect and reconnect. Very concise and very easy to follow. No pictures, but they weren't necessary.

As for the warranty, I asked Harris Ford, Brien Ford, Bickford Motors, and Olympic Ford, all of them, what would and wouldn't void my warranty. At all of them, they said pretty much the same thing. An intake or other bolt-on engine mods, they'd still be cool with it. Supercharging or nitrous, I'm on my own. Same for the exhaust. As long as I don't touch the catalytic converters, they'd still work on it under warranty.

Hope that helps!
Old 5/13/05, 06:23 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

good deal about the warranty..thanks!

I sent a PM response
Old 5/13/05, 06:32 PM
Cobra R Member

91 octane tune is put at -3 global spark to make it work with 87 octane.
93 octane tune is put at -5 gs to make it work.

Vehicles may differ somewhat, but that is what I use.
Old 5/14/05, 08:58 AM

[quote=Eleanor Dreaming,May 13, 2005, 12:50 PM]
How do you get in touch with them?

You can call Mark at 1-866 310-0750

[quote=AJC,May 13, 2005, 6:50 PM]
this price includes the predator tuner...anyway I just order the same package ... I hope it works out well ..

Yeah, that's what I got. It was a standard Predator and C&L intake though, not the bundled version. I like this better because I can still download the C&L tune, but don't have to sell it with the intake, if I ever wanted to (which I don't).

[quote=BigWorm2005GT,May 13, 2005, 6:52 PM]
There is no heat resistant coating that I am aware of. The intake gets warm but not hot, and I'm not sure how much I'm losing from heat, but I'm definitely ahead over the factory air box. Other than that, I'm not qualified to say. You're probably right, but I think it's less than one might think.

I know a little about thermodynamics (I'm a turbine engineer) and between the limited surface area, and the air velocity, I think there is a minimum of heat transfer. Maybe a couple of degrees (from 72 to 74 this time of year). Not enough to matter, IMO.

[quote=BigWorm2005GT,May 13, 2005, 6:52 PM]
SCCA60, glad you are able to find a better deal. Always seems to happen to me, I find something I like, wait for a good deal, take the plunge, and then a better one opens up. Oh, well, thems the breaks, I guess. Glad you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Don't get me wrong. $650 is still a deal. I just wanted to pass along a good buying experience to the board. That's what it's here for. BTW, I don't know if I'm talking out of turn, but I paid $299 for the Predator, $299 for the C&L, and about $11 for UPS ground shipping ($609 total)
Old 5/14/05, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine is the standard Predator, as well, not the C & L specific one. That's what I was hoping for, so it'll work with everything else I want to do in the future.

It's all good, you're abogirl of ill reputeely right, we're here to help each other. I hope I didn't come across the wrong way. I'm glad you got a great price, I was just lamenting that I always seem to miss them. But I guess it's the "Jerry Seinfeld" thing, you break even in the end.

See you out there!
Old 5/14/05, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@May 12, 2005, 10:20 PM
Alright, this may be old hat to several of you guys, but this is the first time I have modded a car in my life. Tonight I took off the factory intake and installed the C & L Intake. I bought it with the aluminum tube and the Diablo Predator. Total time of physical install took about thirty minutes, and another 15 to install the tune I downloaded.

Install was very easy. The supplied instructions are very clear and precise, no problem for someone with even limited mechanical abilities (like me) to follow. I used the supplied mounting bracket and the larger MAF housing.

I will be able to dyno it in a week to see what kind of gains I get. But the seat of the pants dyno? Oh... my... GOD! This car moved before. Now it flies! Throttle response is much improved. It snaps into power much faster than before, no lag. There is more power there, it definitely feels like there is more under my foot. It revs faster and harder. Also, it produces a much throatier sound while in the power. Much better sounding. It's almost worth it for the sound alone. It's definitely worth it for the better performance. Both? Best money I've spent in a while!

In conclusion, I am quite happy with it. QUITE happy. Great product, easy install, immediately noticeable gains... Nothing at all wrong here. 10 out of 10!

PS. The intake rests close to the radiator hose. Tomorrow I'll go by the hardware store and get some foam to insulate it, just to be safe.

Happy motoring!

Hi Eric,
I am ready to order my C&L with Predator tuner this weekend. ( Wife gave me the go ahead ) :worship: I am a little confused about something. I am going to order from RPM Outlet and in one spot it say the computer interface kit is supplied with the kit and in another section it appears it is not. Did it come with your kit??
Scott
Old 5/15/05, 12:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Scctt,

Check PM.

Eric
Old 5/15/05, 03:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@May 15, 2005, 12:53 AM
Scctt,

Check PM.

Eric

Eric,
Your car looks great. Thanks for your help.
Scott
Old 5/15/05, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, here's my 2-cents worth. Like Eric, I installed my C&L/with Predator Equiped C&L tune on Friday. My car is bone stock otherwise - and an automatic.

Before the install I did about ten 0-60 runs (1/4 miles don't do anything for me and besides, no room to fly around here anyways) using my G-Tech (with a 6200 redline and 3700 lbs weight factored in). Lowest run of the day was 5.24 seconds. The others ranged 5.27, 5.29, 5.31, 5.25 etc, etc. All of them were pretty consistent.

Then did the install - like Eric said, the instructions (even without pics) were easy to follow and it took about 45 minutes the first time. Taking it in and out to replace with the factory box (if I ever need to) won't be any longer than 20 minutes now that I've done it once. Very good quality, very good fit.

Right after I was finished, it rainstormed - for 2 days.

This morning the rain stopped and out I went for a drive with the new stuff. I had downloaded the C&L 91 Octane Tune from the Predator to start with (I'll wait to drain the tank and try the 93 later). So here's the 0-60 G-Tech results, same roads, just about the same temperature, with the C&L/Predator 91 tune:

Lowest run was 5.14 seconds. The others ranged 5.15, 5.17, 5.16, 5.17, 5.15, etc, etc. All in all, a consistant .1 second drop in my 0-60 times.

1/10th of a second doesn't seem like so much to me but my race-loving buddy says it's a lifetime in competitive terms. Whatever.

But timing aside, I agree with Eric. You CAN feel the difference and the sound is SWEET under acceleration - with stock exhaust to boot!! Mid-range is where you REALLY feel the extra ponies - kickdown (remember, mine is an auto) is very strong and a bit sharper. Really noticeable is the 2-3-4 upshifts.....no noticeable power loss whatsoever and you can tell that the increased mid-upper range power is totally responsible for the drop in my 0-60 times.

Hope this helps with anyone deciding. The C&L/Predator combo works just fine!!

Mark.
Old 5/15/05, 03:39 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Surfing the web I found an interesting bit of info for those who want to run 87 octane with this set up

If you want to run low octane fuel, simply modify the tune by using the global spark adjuster function of the Predator. Remove 2 degrees for 91 octane and up to 5 degrees for 87-89 octane fuel as necessary.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html
Old 5/26/05, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

UPDATE - Dyno numbers

Okay, I took Caroline to the dyno shop again today. We ran the dyno in third gear again. Putting the shifter in "D" resulted in the car shifting gears all over the place when doing the pull. It ran up too fast and didn't give a good reading. Putting it in third resulted in a much more steady, predictable pull. Also, it was the same gear that the baseline pull was done in, so that was one less variable.

Variables: the temperature today was at least 15 to 20 degrees warmer than the last time. Also, last time there was a slight breeze blowing through the shop, today there was none. In neither case was a fan used. Same technicians, same setup both times.

Now, to the numbers:

Base: 238.3 hp / 243.4 tq
Now: 259.8 hp / 257.5 tq

Base run was bone stock on May 10. Today's run was with a C & L Trueflow Intake System, Predator 91 octane C & L "canned" tune, and Magnaflow Cat-back (non-magnapak).

So, a 22 hp and 14 tq increase. Not quite as much as I was expecting, but the temperature may have played into that. The numbers are SAE corrected, don't know if that helps or hurts comparison.

Comments? Anyone have any techniques for doing dyno pulls with an automatic, so I can get a possibly better reading? Thanks for all your help, guys!
Old 5/26/05, 11:36 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like the C&L and predator did their job thats a nice increase.. Where is this dyno located and how much?
Old 5/27/05, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AJC@May 26, 2005, 10:39 PM
Sounds like the C&L and predator did their job thats a nice increase.. Where is this dyno located and how much?
Andrew,

MPS Motorsports in Lynden. Closer drive for you than me, you live closer. Here's their address for MapQuest and phone number:

MPS - 360-398-2353

7029 Guide Meridian Rd
Lynden, WA
98264-9669 US

Talk to Tim. He's the manager of the place. Him and everyone else are a really good bunch of people. They take the time to explain things, even simple stuff to a n00b like me. They take their time, do it right, and are willing to work with you. I can't say enough good things about them.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in the dyno post that the tune has also actually riched out the engine. The baseline dyno showed a 14:1 A/F ratio, and even higher (leaner) in the low end of the RPM band. Now, it's closer to 13.2:1, and got down to that about 1,000 RPM lower in the band and stayed there. So, ithe intake/Predator tune put the A/F closer to where it needs to be. I'll get the dyno sheet showing the baseline and tuned runs posted as soon as I can get it scanned.
Old 7/9/05, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I did want to post an update. I took my car to a different dyno shop today, and they were able to successfully dyno the car in 4th gear, not third as MPS did. Then they had it up on the lift to optimize the tune.

It turns out that the "canned" C & L tune was running a touch lean at WOT. After playing with it for a while, we ended up with +4% fuel in the 4k-7k RPM range, and +1.5% spark advance in the 4k-7k range. No modifications to the 2k-4k RPM range.

Now, for the numbers. We ended up with:

286.6 rwhp / 274.8 rwtq

Much, MUCH better than the previous numbers. Also, this shop is much closer, I think I'll go there, if for no other reason than to save gas. The highest numbers we saw were 289 rwhp / 290 rwtq, but the A/F ratio was high enough to worry the guys, so we added a bit of fuel to compensate. A/F ratio at WOT is between 12.6 and 13.0 all the way up, very even.

From the tuning they did today, I picked up an additional 8 rwhp from when I arrived. Not bad at all, I would think.
Old 7/9/05, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Pile On! Just installed my CAI and Pred, (and Powerflos) today. The dyno-butt says I got some decent gains... more agressive all the way around, especially later in the RPM band... I originally set it in the 93 octane, (I had filled with 93 a few days ago.. I thought) but I got a CEL. Checked it with the Pred and it said "Too Lean". So I reflashed a 91 octane tune, (and cleared the codes). No CEL.
Old 7/9/05, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

RPM Outlet has the K&N CAI w/Predator making more HP that then C&L W/Predator? :scratch:

Quick Reply: C & L Intake Installed...