GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C & L Intake Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/05, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Alright, this may be old hat to several of you guys, but this is the first time I have modded a car in my life. Tonight I took off the factory intake and installed the C & L Intake. I bought it with the aluminum tube and the Diablo Predator. Total time of physical install took about thirty minutes, and another 15 to install the tune I downloaded.

Install was very easy. The supplied instructions are very clear and precise, no problem for someone with even limited mechanical abilities (like me) to follow. I used the supplied mounting bracket and the larger MAF housing.

I will be able to dyno it in a week to see what kind of gains I get. But the seat of the pants dyno? Oh... my... GOD! This car moved before. Now it flies! Throttle response is much improved. It snaps into power much faster than before, no lag. There is more power there, it definitely feels like there is more under my foot. It revs faster and harder. Also, it produces a much throatier sound while in the power. Much better sounding. It's almost worth it for the sound alone. It's definitely worth it for the better performance. Both? Best money I've spent in a while!

In conclusion, I am quite happy with it. QUITE happy. Great product, easy install, immediately noticeable gains... Nothing at all wrong here. 10 out of 10!

PS. The intake rests close to the radiator hose. Tomorrow I'll go by the hardware store and get some foam to insulate it, just to be safe.

Happy motoring!
Old 5/12/05, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Where'd you get the package? Brothers? Ebay?
Old 5/12/05, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Blk'05@May 12, 2005, 9:25 PM
Where'd you get the package? Brothers? Ebay?
I bought it from RPM Outlet. Ordered over the phone. Talked to Ivan, great guy, very informative and helpful.
Old 5/12/05, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did you buy these seperate or as a combo. I am comparing where did you purchase. Glad to hear someone else who has not done this type of thing before has tried and found it to be doable. I will be doing something like this, if I ever get my GT. I can hang parts but, the tuner is way outside anything I have done before.
Old 5/12/05, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

replies crossed, thanks.
Old 5/12/05, 10:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@May 12, 2005, 9:29 PM
Did you buy these seperate or as a combo. I am comparing where did you purchase. Glad to hear someone else who has not done this type of thing before has tried and found it to be doable. I will be doing something like this, if I ever get my GT. I can hang parts but, the tuner is way outside anything I have done before.
RPM Outlet sells the intake kit and the Diablo Predator as a package. Very good deal, IMO. Downloading the tune into the Predator was very easy, anyone with even a little computer skill can do it. Downloading from the Predator into the car is just as easy. The Predator prompts you every step of the way. Just follow the prompts and anyone can do it. I might get a little more out of it with a customized dyno tune, but the downloaded "canned" tune seems to be just fine.
Old 5/12/05, 10:57 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Bigworm - Thanks for the tip off...!!!
Old 5/12/05, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AJC@May 12, 2005, 10:00 PM
Bigworm - how much did you pay for the set up? I am planning on the same exact CAI - so I am very interested...
Paid about $650 or so. I just checked their site, it's still advertised at the same price I paid.

BTW, how do the SLP's sound? I'm putting Magnaflows on mine, I'm curious how they do with this intake.
Old 5/12/05, 11:11 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

I passed a guy in a black 05 GT on evergreen way - he pulled up an told me he preferred the SLPs sound, he had the Magnaflow set up

They are pretty awesome - everyone thinks they sound great.
And they dont drone on the freeway.

Thanks for pointing out the site. I had just talked to a guy at work today who mentioned the C&L set up.
Old 5/13/05, 12:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@May 12, 2005, 10:20 PM
Alright, this may be old hat to several of you guys, but this is the first time I have modded a car in my life. Tonight I took off the factory intake and installed the C & L Intake. I bought it with the aluminum tube and the Diablo Predator. Total time of physical install took about thirty minutes, and another 15 to install the tune I downloaded.

Install was very easy. The supplied instructions are very clear and precise, no problem for someone with even limited mechanical abilities (like me) to follow. I used the supplied mounting bracket and the larger MAF housing.

I will be able to dyno it in a week to see what kind of gains I get. But the seat of the pants dyno? Oh... my... GOD! This car moved before. Now it flies! Throttle response is much improved. It snaps into power much faster than before, no lag. There is more power there, it definitely feels like there is more under my foot. It revs faster and harder. Also, it produces a much throatier sound while in the power. Much better sounding. It's almost worth it for the sound alone. It's definitely worth it for the better performance. Both? Best money I've spent in a while!

In conclusion, I am quite happy with it. QUITE happy. Great product, easy install, immediately noticeable gains... Nothing at all wrong here. 10 out of 10!

PS. The intake rests close to the radiator hose. Tomorrow I'll go by the hardware store and get some foam to insulate it, just to be safe.

Happy motoring!
Can you keep us posted on your milage?
Old 5/13/05, 05:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Eric:

I bought the same set-up from RPM Outlet and installed it. My experience is the same as yours. Easy install, great seat-of-pants feel, great mod!

Which tune are you running .... 93 or 91 Octane? (I am running the 93 octane tune but Sunoco Ultra is actualy 94 octane here in NJ. I was thinking of bumping the Global timing slightly)
Old 5/13/05, 05:55 AM
Big Falken Tires

Great to hear!
I am looking at doing the CAI and Predator to mine in a week or two and this is exactly the kind of results I wanted to hear about!

Enjoy your 'new' ride!
Old 5/13/05, 06:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by davids2toys+May 12, 2005, 11:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davids2toys @ May 12, 2005, 11:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Can you keep us posted on your milage?
[/b]

David,

Absolutely! It was wierd, actually. I had about 19.5 on the mileage meter on the daash panel when we went out to test drive it. We were out for about an hour, and most of the time I was driving along revving it just to hear the new sound, and accellerating HARD when I got the chance. When we got home, I checked the mileage again. 20.0! It got better! But I will keep you updated.

<!--QuoteBegin-05SatinGT
@May 13, 2005, 4:55 AM
Hi Eric:

I bought the same set-up from RPM Outlet and installed it. My experience is the same as yours. Easy install, great seat-of-pants feel, great mod!
Which tune are you running .... 93 or 91 Octane? (I am running the 93 octane tune but Sunoco Ultra is actualy 94 octane here in NJ. I was thinking of bumping the Global timing slightly)
[/quote]

05SatinGT,

I use the 91 octane tune. Getting 93 octane means I have to go about an hour south, and I refuse to drive that far. However, there are sevveral gas stations around here that sell 92 octane, and I put that in the tank. Shell, mostly. No detonation or pinging that I can hear. Time will tell, I'll keep you updated.
Old 5/13/05, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm also glad to hear how easy the install was. Planning on getting a C&L from Alternative Auto Perfomance since they offer a xcalibrator package with a special tune for auto's. Does the Predator offer that? Has anyone had any experiance with the Xcalibrator or Alternative Auto ? It would be a phone deal with them as I'm in Ct. they are in Mich. Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 5/13/05, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
when you use the C+L cia and the tune, does it have to be 91 or 93, or can it still run on 87? Mine will be my everyday car for 9 months a year, so I want to stay with 87
Old 5/13/05, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you are impressed with the C&L CAI and the Predator 93 octane Custom Tune, just imagine what the 4.10 gears will do. I know! Then add Steeda underdrive pulleys, charge motion delete plates and FRPP shorty headers. Very impressive!

I was fortunate enough to have DiabloSport make a custom tune for that exact combo and have it dyno'd and tuned at their shop.
Old 5/13/05, 10:52 AM

Great review. I just added the same system (C&L with Predator) to my car last week.

The most notable change was the sound (like you said). It's pretty much like stock crusing, but when you get on it...wow. I did notice an increase in power, but coming from a turbo car where one small change adds 100 hp, it was more sutble than I am used to. That said, it was still very noticable and worth every cent.

Something else I really liked about it was that it is still very smooth and the quality and installation is very good. I could imagine it coming from the factory this way.

Lastly, the cost. I got mine from Mark and Lightningperformance for a lot less than $650. It was at my door 5 days after picking up the phone (including a weekend) and he was very helpfull. Highly recomended.

EDIT: Oh, on the mileage. I read on Diablosport's site under the Perdator FAQ that the mileage readout will no longer be accurate due to the tune. They state the tune is meant for performance and driveabilty, not trip computer accuracy (read: They considered it minor and didn't work the tune to the n'th degree to make sure the mileage calculator worked).
Old 5/13/05, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do you get in touch with them?
Old 5/13/05, 11:53 AM

nice setup. only thing i see weong with that intake is that the tube is aluminum. does it have some sort of heat-resistant coating?

a better design would be made of an insulative material like plastic. makes for a colder shot of air. cold air = dense air = more power. kinda defeats the purpose of an intake if you're just ramming hot air down the car's throat.

anyway, can't beat that price! i'll have to keep those guys in mind later on.

Mike
Old 5/13/05, 12:40 PM

Do you have to use 91 or 93 octane with that setup?

I was planning on purchasing this but want to make sure there is an 87 octane option as well.

Quick Reply: C & L Intake Installed...