GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L CAI/tuner and other components

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/05, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm coming back from a year in Korea soon and I was curious about the legal issues of modding my soon to be picked up mustang. I'm not from the state and will be moving there and not familiar with state law.

Since it seems like everything else is illegal in CA, I'm wondering if the C&L/tuner CAI is smog legal or legal at all?

I'm also wondering about FFRP exhausts (Borla). The website says that they are not 50 state legal and was wondering why. Any other exhaust options?? Corsa??

I would appreciate any modding suggestions that are geared towards California.

I understand that a new car in CA isn't smogged for 6 years from what I've read???

Thanks for the help
Old 10/1/05, 02:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Uuuum.....I guess I'll wait until I get to California for an answer.

The C&L website did not specify legal or not. I realize this isn't the most exciting thread but I would have thought a yes or no was simple enough.
Old 10/1/05, 10:57 AM
GT Member

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I've been wondering the same thing so I hope someone can answer. As far as how long before you need to have the car smogged in CA, on my last new vehicle I didn't have to smog it for 5 years after purchase.

-Mike
Old 10/1/05, 02:59 PM
3rd Times A Charm

You can wait 6 years to smog it in CA.

As far as legal or not, who knows. It's all in the cop's disgression as far as I'm concerned. Do you think a cop with an 05 is going to give you a ticket for intake? I don't think so. But catch a mean cop on a bad day, he might go to town on you!
Old 10/1/05, 03:36 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Angry Irishman@September 30, 2005, 3:47 PM

Since it seems like everything else is illegal in CA,

Thanks for the help
That statement is ridiculous! There's lots of things that are still legal in California! I just can't think of any at the moment

The tune and the cai can be put back to stock in less than 45 minutes. Make sure you receive instructions with your tuner and you can reflash in a matter of minutes. Save your stock air box of course and swap out the cai. The mufflers might present a little problem if you arn't going to have a place where you can work on your car. Otherwise, give yourself an extra hour to swap those out and clean up. The only ones that enforce smog related equipment are the CHP and the smog station when you have to have the car inspected. If you are stopped by the CHP I believe it would be rare that they would ask to see the engine compartment. Paul
Old 10/1/05, 04:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not going to worry about it!
Old 10/1/05, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the inputs. Kinda what I was thinking as far as a reflash and reinstalling stock equipment.

I appreciate the help
Old 10/2/05, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is true that new vehicles have a 6-year exemption from smog checks in CA. But, that exemption does not apply to cars bought elsewhere and then brought to CA. I suggest you read this thoroughly and dig around the DMV website:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Bo...eck/doineed.htm
Old 10/2/05, 06:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I think if you just switch it out you'll be fine... but heck you probably won't have to worry about it unless you keep the car past six years.

And yes I believe California is fast becoming a bit well... I'm not sure what... **** is too strong a word but it's pretty darn close.

Can't have tinted windows... must have front license plate... can't smoke in bars (I don't even smoke and I think that's ridiculous)

Pretty soon they'll outlaw certain colors because they are offensive to whoever hehe

Not that I mind smog checks and the like I think they're great and I'd much rather have cleaner air than a faster car... but for a state that used to be considered (and still is I suppose) VERY liberal... government sure does clamp you in the buttocks here.

Love drivin on those great roads after paying through the nose in state tax... mmmmm smell those potholes...mmmm they're good

Now... where do I put this soapbox... oh ok... there it is... put away