GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers - review

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/12, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seabiscuit
Just my one cent about the cams - they are waste of time and money!!!
I have installed in my mustang most of available modifications for N/A car spending thousands of $$$ I got some nice figures and nice results on ¼ mile.

So my last mode was COMP Cams NSR Stage II which I bought from Brenspeed as they favortie install (they did not have detroit one that time). They were the biggest my disappointment ever. Big loss of power I lost 1sek on 1/4mile and 30HP through whole dyno pull. Was fighting with them for two years changing some components and tunes with Brenspeed. After two years I back to stock cams and I am very happy again apart that I have comp camps sitting in my garage with all installing hardware for 1000$ total.
What a waste of time and money.

Any one who consider cams do not do that - you want a power and reasonable spend $ go S/C.
Most of people who are happy from installing cams are changing at the same time many other parts which are improving performance much. The results is they fill difference and they are happy saying those cams are really great when in many cases they give nothing and performance increase is from other parts installed at the same time.

Cams are good only for exhaust sound change nothing else - no power increase rather power loss.
If you got the cams with out having any other supporting modifications then shame on you for overcamming your engine. Comp clearly suggests supporting mods (exhaust and gears) on their website. With out intake and exhaust you're choking the engine, without gears you won't stay in the powerband which starts at at least 3500rpms on most aftermarket cams. If you had supporting mods and lost 30hp whoever you had tune your car is a ****ing idiot. If you're convinced that cams are only good for sound you belong in a Prius.
Old 11/14/12, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If you're convinced that cams are only good for sound you belong in a Prius."
Amen
Old 11/14/12, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had the Detroit Rocker cams installed, along with the FRPP CAI, Brisk plugs and a dyno tune. Picked up an additional 35 RWHP. I thought the car was fast enough stock. These cams really bring it to life. Still have the 3:31's in there but will be installing 3:73's soon. Guess it all depends on what you are looking for in your car performance wise. I just wanted to access all of the usable HP on tap. A SC would be nice but since the money fairy hasnt visited yet, well.......
Old 11/14/12, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruffy07
I just had the Detroit Rocker cams installed, along with the FRPP CAI, Brisk plugs and a dyno tune. Picked up an additional 35 RWHP. I thought the car was fast enough stock. These cams really bring it to life. Still have the 3:31's in there but will be installing 3:73's soon. Guess it all depends on what you are looking for in your car performance wise. I just wanted to access all of the usable HP on tap. A SC would be nice but since the money fairy hasnt visited yet, well.......
The gears are gonna make a huge difference. I have 410s which keep me in the powerband. Don't count em out. The difference in fuel economy is truly negligible. I turn 2500 at 75 on 95. That gets me 23mpg with full bolt ons and cams. Don't fear the gear.
Old 11/14/12, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ruffy07
The 3.73 gears will make a HUGE difference for sure.

I run them in mine as I drive mine and put miles on it.

Terry
Old 11/16/12, 05:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I cleaned up this thread.... keep the bickering between yourselves to PMs. Thanks.
Old 11/16/12, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tom281
I cleaned up this thread.... keep the bickering between yourselves to PMs. Thanks.
Sorry man , it's rough always being right lol
Old 11/17/12, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just my one cent about the cams - they are waste of time and money!!!
I have installed in my mustang most of available modifications for N/A car spending thousands of $$$ I got some nice figures and nice results on ¼ mile.

So my last mode was COMP Cams NSR Stage II which I bought from Brenspeed as they favortie install (they did not have detroit one that time). They were the biggest my disappointment ever. Big loss of power I lost 1sek on 1/4mile and 30HP through whole dyno pull. Was fighting with them for two years changing some components and tunes with Brenspeed. After two years I back to stock cams and I am very happy again apart that I have comp camps sitting in my garage with all installing hardware for 1000$ total.
What a waste of time and money.

Any one who consider cams do not do that – you want a power and reasonable spend $ go S/C.
Most of people who are happy from installing cams are changing at the same time many other parts which are improving performance much. The results is they fill difference and they are happy saying those cams are really great when in many cases they give nothing and performance increase is from other parts installed at the same time.

Cams are good only for exhaust sound change nothing else – no power increase rather power loss.

Seabiscuit,

I know you are half way around the world from me and Brenspeed. I have had my car on Brenspeeds dyno with Brent doing the tuning after having them installed Comp NRS cams and me installing delete plates. In fact it has been on their dyno at least 6 times during every mod I have ever done from bone stock to present day mods. On 2/15/2008 they installed my cams and combined with my delete plates I gained 41rwhp and 11 ftlbs torque. I have before and after dyno pulls on the same dyno at Brenspeed. I have been modding every car I have owned for 40 years. To make the statement that cams are not worth the investment is just not true. Cams and cams and bigger cams has always been the biggest bang for the buck on older push rod motors and mod motors for ever. In fact Tom281 was at Brenspeed the day my work was done to pick up his car that they had just installed his Saleen SC'er on. So he can back up what I am telling you. Do a search of my posts and you will find my dyno sheets of before and after along with videos of my dyno pulls at Brenspeed. I don't know who installed your cams or tuned your car after the cam install but I suspect your cams were set up out of time. If just one tooth off on the timing chain install and you could get the result you got. I get your results sucked and that is what you are telling everyone but do some searching to find others that had the same results as you and I think you will come up empty handed. I am not trying to pick a fight with you but I have been reading you posts and shaking my head for a week or more without saying anything. Got to say something now. And to agree with Muscledom on his point about gearing and cams... my numbers gained of 41 hp and 11 lbs was with the stock 3:31 gears on my auto trans car.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 11/18/12 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11/17/12, 08:23 PM
Banned

Scott you lost me man lol. What did I miss?
Old 11/18/12, 04:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by muscledom
Scott you lost me man lol. What did I miss?
Sorry guy...I miss read your quote on gears. I do agree with you not disagree and I said earilier. I am also running 4:10's and they do a great job of keeping the car on it's toes.
Old 11/18/12, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER

Sorry guy...I miss read your quote on gears. I do agree with you not disagree and I said earilier. I am also running 4:10's and they do a great job of keeping the car on it's toes.
Haha no sweat man! 410s ftw
Old 11/18/12, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Seabiscuit,

I know you are half way around the world from me and Brenspeed. I have had my car on Brenspeeds dyno with Brent doing the tuning after having them installed Comp NRS cams and me installing delete plates. In fact it has been on their dyno at least 6 times during every mod I have ever done from bone stock to present day mods. On 2/15/2008 they installed my cams and combined with my delete plates I gained 41rwhp and 11 ftlbs torque. I have before and after dyno pulls on the same dyno at Brenspeed. I have been modding every car I have owned for 40 years. To make the statement that cams are not worth the investment is just not true. Cams and cams and bigger cams has always been the biggest bang for the buck on older push rod motors and mod motors for ever. In fact Tom281 was at Brenspeed the day my work was done to pick up his car that they had just installed his Saleen SC'er on. So he can back up what I am telling you. Do a search of my posts and you will find my dyno sheets of before and after along with videos of my dyno pulls at Brenspeed. I don't know who installed your cams or tuned your car after the cam install but I suspect your cams were set up out of time. If just one tooth off on the timing chain install and you could get the result you got. I get your results sucked and that is what you are telling everyone but do some searching to find others that had the same results as you and I think you will come up empty handed. I am not trying to pick a fight with you but I have been reading you posts and shaking my head for a week or more without saying anything. Got to say something now. And to agree with Muscledom on his point about gearing and cams... my numbers gained of 41 hp and 11 lbs was with the stock 3:31 gears on my auto trans car.
Scott
I know you are happy from your install. reading you i made decision to go with that mod.

Unfortunately I spend 3 years looking what is wrong. Of course the timing was checked so no way it was wrong. Even if chain would be moved by 1 chain the engine will throw check engine immediately – know that from friends car experience. Please note I put back stock cams and the car recover all the power it had before installing comp cams.
Funny is that it is on the same tune as for Comp Cams. Yes the same one - I got message from Brenspeed I do not have to change it as it is the same tune and Comp Cams NSR do not require anything special then stocks. The tune was checked here on dyno and they did not see anything wrong in a car anything to tweak car up to +40whp recovery.
It’s a pity I am not in US I can not go to Brenspeed to complain power loss.
Maybe my set of Comp Cams are out of spec – do not know if that is possible?
I know one thing they completely do not work at this car.
Old 11/19/12, 04:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I know you are happy from your install. reading you i made decision to go with that mod.

Unfortunately I spend 3 years looking what is wrong. Of course the timing was checked so no way it was wrong. Even if chain would be moved by 1 chain the engine will throw check engine immediately – know that from friends car experience. Please note I put back stock cams and the car recover all the power it had before installing comp cams.
Funny is that it is on the same tune as for Comp Cams. Yes the same one - I got message from Brenspeed I do not have to change it as it is the same tune and Comp Cams NSR do not require anything special then stocks. The tune was checked here on dyno and they did not see anything wrong in a car anything to tweak car up to +40whp recovery.
It’s a pity I am not in US I can not go to Brenspeed to complain power loss.
Maybe my set of Comp Cams are out of spec – do not know if that is possible?
I know one thing they completely do not work at this car.

Lukas,
I guess it is entirely possible to get a set of cams from Comp that were not correct. Everybody makes mistakes. I really hate that you had such a bad experience with them. I am sure they can be checked but of course you would have to send them back. But they really do work as advertised when installed and tuned correctly. Sorry your experienced sucked so much.
Scott
Old 11/20/12, 05:25 AM

CAMS and a different tune

Eforce and Detroit Rocker CAMS

The Detroit Rocker S/C ground CAMS don't work well with the Eforce, PERIOD! I Went through many tunes and the car never operated anywhere near stock drivability. CAMS removed and stocks returned. Car operates like stock but with a WHOLE bunch of power. I don't know about other manufacturers of CAMS or SC's and the differrent combinations.

What is interesting about this is after reading all of the posts about getting the correct tune, it turns out the tune is the same when I returned to the stock CAMS. I was told no new tune needed.

Last edited by 08GOGTCS; 11/20/12 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11/29/12, 04:53 PM
Banned

Lukas,
I guess it is entirely possible to get a set of cams from Comp that were not correct. Everybody makes mistakes. I really hate that you had such a bad experience with them. I am sure they can be checked but of course you would have to send them back. But they really do work as advertised when installed and tuned correctly. Sorry your experienced sucked so much.
Scott
Scott,

I came across some interesting info regarding the Comp ***** Thumprs today. I was supposed to get dynoed tomorrow at lamotta performance in longwood fl. Got canceled because the guy that does his tuning had a last minute thing come up and he has to go on a trip. Anyway when I was talking to him, the tuner, he asked me what mods I had. I told him and he asked which cams specifically. He said he has had problems with them causing a loss of power. I guess back when they first came out Comp sent a guy some ***** thumprs free. To make a long story short, comp ended up taking the cams back and sending the guy a blower. Idk too much about what else the guy had going on as far as mods but that's kinda scary. I talked to jake and he said well run it and take it from there. I probably won't be able to go down there until the Friday after next. Ill post after the tune. Just thought I'd share. And also I'd like to apologize for being a COMPLETE **** to Lukas. Sorry buddy but you gotta understand that that makes absolutely zero sense when applying common knowledge. I mean even Comp had no explanation. Idk if that's for every set he's tuned but I guess I'll be finding out shortly. Also, he recommended the Detroit rockers. Which comp does the grind for. Fml lol
Old 11/30/12, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by muscledom
Scott,

I came across some interesting info regarding the Comp ***** Thumprs today. I was supposed to get dynoed tomorrow at lamotta performance in longwood fl. Got canceled because the guy that does his tuning had a last minute thing come up and he has to go on a trip. Anyway when I was talking to him, the tuner, he asked me what mods I had. I told him and he asked which cams specifically. He said he has had problems with them causing a loss of power. I guess back when they first came out Comp sent a guy some ***** thumprs free. To make a long story short, comp ended up taking the cams back and sending the guy a blower. Idk too much about what else the guy had going on as far as mods but that's kinda scary. I talked to jake and he said well run it and take it from there. I probably won't be able to go down there until the Friday after next. Ill post after the tune. Just thought I'd share. And also I'd like to apologize for being a COMPLETE **** to Lukas. Sorry buddy but you gotta understand that that makes absolutely zero sense when applying common knowledge. I mean even Comp had no explanation. Idk if that's for every set he's tuned but I guess I'll be finding out shortly. Also, he recommended the Detroit rockers. Which comp does the grind for. Fml lol
Hey Dom,
Maybe we need to go all the way back to the beginning of this thread and start over and make sure we get the info about this cam or that cam correct. Just to give a little bit of history about what I know about Comp cams and Brenspeed. I got into this thread because Lukas said he bought Comp Stage II NSR cams from Brenspeed and they sucked. Same cams I had them install in my car on Feb 2008. They are awesome! But if Lukas really bought the Comp ***** Thumpers from Brenspeed then I would agree he probably had the issues he claims. Brenspeed did sell and install the ****** early on after they came out. But they had issues with them also. They idled great but after that they were a problem. They had low speed issues and stalled quite frequently and did not make the power they claimed. Brenspeed stopped selling them pretty early on because of all the issues with them and trying to tune them. The ****** were sound makers and not perfomers at all. But this thread is about the Detroit Rockers...which is a different grind that Brenspeed worked with Comp to overcome the issues the ****** had. The guys at Brenspeed are great and I have been there on dyno days and to have my car tuned on their dyno over the years 8-10 times. Brent White the owner is about the most honest guy in the car world I have ever delt with. If it is crap he will tell you that.. and he did.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 11/30/12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12/1/12, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Dom,
Maybe we need to go all the way back to the beginning of this thread and start over and make sure we get the info about this cam or that cam correct. Just to give a little bit of history about what I know about Comp cams and Brenspeed. I got into this thread because Lukas said he bought Comp Stage II NSR cams from Brenspeed and they sucked. Same cams I had them install in my car on Feb 2008. They are awesome! But if Lukas really bought the Comp ***** Thumpers from Brenspeed then I would agree he probably had the issues he claims. Brenspeed did sell and install the ****** early on after they came out. But they had issues with them also. They idled great but after that they were a problem. They had low speed issues and stalled quite frequently and did not make the power they claimed. Brenspeed stopped selling them pretty early on because of all the issues with them and trying to tune them. The ****** were sound makers and not perfomers at all. But this thread is about the Detroit Rockers...which is a different grind that Brenspeed worked with Comp to overcome the issues the ****** had. The guys at Brenspeed are great and I have been there on dyno days and to have my car tuned on their dyno over the years 8-10 times. Brent White the owner is about the most honest guy in the car world I have ever delt with. If it is crap he will tell you that.. and he did.
Brent White the owner is about the most honest guy in the car world I have ever delt with. If it is crap he will tell you that.. and he did.
I Agree and I am in the position to know.

Terry
Old 12/3/12, 05:09 AM

Since it seems everybody on here is in Luv with the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker CAMS, I have a set with 20k miles on them for SALE. These are the S/C Ground CAMS for the 05-10 4.6.

$400 plus shipping
Send me a PM if intereseted.
Scott

SOLD

Last edited by 08GOGTCS; 12/4/12 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12/4/12, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Dom,
Sorry I know what I have and installed and that is Comp Cam Stage II NSR - my biggest mistake ever
Old 3/4/13, 07:53 PM

Dyno numbers

Since you had the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker camshafts installed, have you gotten your car dyno'd to see what the numbers are?