GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers - review

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/11, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers - review

We recently installed a set of Detroit Rockers in my personal 06 Mustang GT. In the near future we'll have an install video showing the steps to help out the DIY guys. I'll be sure to post that when available.

In the mean time, I wanted to give some feedback on Brenspeed's camshafts. We chose the Detroit Rockers because they seem to have the most positive reviews amongst the NSR cams. The only other performance modifications to the 06 Mustang GT auto trans subject car were 4.30 gears, Pypes L/T headers w/h-pipe, Magnaflow axle-backs, no cats, a set of our polyurethane/aluminum motor mounts, and JLT CAI.

After install, and a custom Brenspeed email tune, the car ran great! The lope is very aggressive and sounds just like the old big blocks used to. Everything about the car improved! The exhaust note is even noticeably improved after the cam install. The car has a lot more power than before. We haven't had it on a Dyno yet, but it is much more difficult to hold your head up during acceleration :-)

Drivability is perfect with these cams. It doesn't want to die when you come to a stop like I've heard happens with some other cams. I now feel like I'm driving a real muscle car!

I offer one warning to anyone considering these cams though... Good luck stopping at a red light without someone giving you a thumbs up or asking you what's under the hood. You will get lots of attention!

Nice job on these cams, Brenspeed!!
Old 5/9/11, 12:47 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 5/9/11, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I recently had a set of these installed, & I concur completely. I absolutely love both the sound & the performance gain.
Old 5/10/11, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just installed a set of the Detroit Rockers myself a couple weeks ago and love the sound they give. Your tools worked just great for the job. I have a Bama/AM tune for them and it seems to run great. I had to drop the idle down a notch to get a more lopey sound though. I think it idles now around 725 and still runs great. I installed a set of Kooks LT headers with catted H-pipe and the sounds after that was great!
Old 5/14/11, 10:23 AM

That's great to hear, SeanD!
They finally sent over an audio clip with the cams installed. You can check it out here
Old 8/1/11, 11:41 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent Review on the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams.
They are being run in my 2008 Bullitt called the "tigermachine" at the present time.

They not only Sound Awesome but also Perform on the strip.

Brenspeed is making some Major changes to my 2008 Bullitt and took it out for a preliminary test a week ago.
They took it to Milan, MI. to the NMRA race.
Chandler was the Driver and did an excellent job behind the wheel.

I Highly recommend the cams !!!

tigerhonaker
Old 8/1/11, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
What are people setting the Neutral Idle RPM too? The tune I got from American Muscle set s it to 775 which seems to high, as I cannot hear the lope at all. When my wife first heard it, see didn't like it, cause there was no sound. I re-flashed the pcm and dropped the idle to 725 and that made it a little better. I then dropped it too 675 and I can really hear the cams now and the car has a good shake. It still seems to drive pretty good though. My tuner only allows +/- 50rpm increments, so that is why had to try those different rpms.

Sean
Old 9/22/11, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
does anyone have a before and after dyno sheet?
Old 10/10/11, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
does anyone have a before and after dyno sheet?

Glenn,

Head over to our Web Site and Check out the dyno sheets for yourself!!

http://www.brenspeed.com/detroit3vna.html

Click on the second photo for the Dyno Sheet
Old 10/15/11, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
That sounds awesome. I definately have to get a set of these installed some day.
Old 10/15/11, 12:38 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm interested in cams, but not sure if they're worth it, as I have an automatic, don't have LT headers, and wouldn't want to drop additional coin on a TQ converter... Is there still an option not only get a better sound, but to see gains as well?
Old 10/16/11, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
I'm interested in cams, but not sure if they're worth it, as I have an automatic, don't have LT headers, and wouldn't want to drop additional coin on a TQ converter... Is there still an option not only get a better sound, but to see gains as well?
The short anser is YES, it's worth it. Give Brenspeed a call and get the long answer. It'll be worth your time!
Old 10/16/11, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got mine installed last week and I have an 08 GT automatic and yes you get a gain since I dont have Longtubes yet and I still havent installed the TC,you would be happy with just the sound!!!
Old 10/16/11, 12:51 PM
GT Member

Talking

The Cams are Awesome and very easy to drive with on the street.

I have had them as well as many of my running Mates.

tigerhonaker
Old 2/7/12, 10:49 PM

Detroit Rocker Cams and Eforce SC

Hello Folks,
Has anyone installed the Edelbrock E-force SC stage 1 from Brenspeed along with their Detroit Rocker Cams?

I had a professional installer install the SC and Cams last April 2011. Brenspeed had to write many tunes to get the car just to run reasonably. The vehicle will not idle (giving it gas) or run until the car is warm. Takes a minimum of 4 to 5 minutes. Then the car sometimes dips at idle and especially when coming to a stop. I have had many conversations with the guys at Brenspeed, and they seem genuine, but they tell me this is the way it is with this setup of these Cams and the E-force. I’m not sure if I agree with this.

Last summer at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, I had the car dyno’d at Pro Dyno tuning. The car had the same problems with the tunes they wrote. Daniel D. of Pro Dyno worked on it for about two hours and performed at least 6 dyno pulls on the car. Even with all the heat in Myrtle Beach last summer, the car put down great dyno numbers. The Brenspeed tune I had in the car for the initial pull, put down 492 HP and about 465 torque. The tunes that Pro Dyno did increased that. 511 HP at best, I believe. To be expected with a dyno tune over a canned tune. Now, the same issues still existed with Pro Dyno’s tunes. Poor performance and almost impossible to drive cold (I took the car back to the Condo that night and ran it the next morning cold) and also idle dip and stalling. Went back to Pro Dyno the last day of Mustang Week and Dave said he was stuck without doing more extensive tuning and looking at the fuel tables.

Then last September I took it to Street Stangs in Ohio (near my installer) and had Dyno’d tunes developed there. Same problem, and some additional ones. Still, the car does not like to be run cold, and the idle dip and stalling remains. It does not happen constantly, but enough that I often have to restart the car just coming to a red light. Very annoying and embarrassing.

I worked with my installer to see if any installation issues could be causing the problem, and nothing. Vacuum is good, no leaks, and the car has NEVER thrown a code. The car runs with the O2 sensors ON, and has never had a problem. In fact, last November, I had the car at the Dealer I purchased it from for the Bi-annual Virginia Emissions testing. The car passed fine with the Brenspeed tune. The Brenspeed tune is the best one that the car performs on. However, they set the idle very high, around 1050 RPM (even with the RPM set at lowest setting in tuner) to keep the car from stalling. Unfortunately, the cars still stalls sometimes, and the LOPE is not as noticeable at the higher RPM. This defeats part of the purpose of having the CAMS.

I am looking for advice. I am at the point where I want to put the stock CAMS back in and get another Dyno tune to see if this solves the problem. Unfortunately, this is going to cost me MORE money. It is turning into a never ending money sink. Like I said, I worked with the Guys at Brenspeed to resolve this, but basically they got tired of me calling and emailing and stopped working with me to fix this. They told me this is what to expect from this combination of CAMS and SC.

I am not bashing Brenspeed, but I feel as though I have to take another direction to solve this. Any advice or experience with this setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by 08GOGTCS; 2/8/12 at 05:10 PM.
Old 2/8/12, 11:13 AM
GT Member

Scott,

I'm not going to get into a discussion over the Internet about Brenspeed or any other Performance Shop.

But I will discuss this on going situation with you.

Here is what you might consider doing if you want the Mustang to behave more in a normal Stock Fashion.

Remove the Detroit Rocker cams and reinstall the stock cams.

That will let you know if things are going to be once again OK.

There are combinations that just don't work well together.
And from what you have Posted it certainly seems you have one of those combinations now.

I will tell you this I have had all different sets of cams in my Mustang.
And some were more of a Pain in the @SS than others.

The almighty LOPE that everyone wishes to have sometimes is more of a Pain than any Benefit.

And I am speaking from personal Experience !!!

Also let me share this with you.
When we Modify our cars they for the most part are not going to be like they were when Stock.
That is just the way it is.
People will Post that they run this set of cams and this other set of cams and so on and on and on ...........
What they Don't Post is this.
They hardly ever drive the car.
It sits in the garage until they fire it up to go to a Local Cruise-In or Local Car Show.
Then it goes right back to the garage.
Now you can think I am just Blowing Smoke up your @SS but I can assure you I know what I am saying is Factual.

The more changes/mods the worse the Daily Driving ...........
(Usually)

There are exceptions as in anything, but for the most part the more the changes the worse the daily Drivability is.

My Mustang {Now} drives and {Behaves} better than it ever has since I started making changes to it.
You simply get in it, turn the ignition key on, push the start Btn. and it Fires-Up immediately.
It goes to Fast-Idle and then drops back to the Pre-set idle speed around 750-850 RPM.
Not the easiest thing to read to be honest on our tachometers.
Then I put it in gear and drive off.
I will say if it is really Cold outside then mine also needs to at least run long enough to move the temperature gauge.
Generally speaking though it is just a matter of starting it and it drop off Fast-Idle, put it in gear and drive off.
I Do-Not drive it hard at all until the temperature reaches operating range and the Drive Train has time to warm up.

See Picture below of it idling warmed-up.

There is one more thing I should share with you.

To get my Mustang to where it is now I did the following.
I talked with Brent (Brenspeed Owner) and ask if he would get my car as close as he could to operate in a normal manner.
I did not Set a Dollar amount to get it there.
I left the Decisions to Brent on how to get it there.

Brenspeed did their thing and now the Mustang operates as if it came from Ford right off the Show-Room Floor.

That is the rest of the Story regarding my Bullitt Mustang.

I hope I have been of some help here with the information I have shared with you.

Terry

Originally Posted by 08GOGTCS
Hello Folks,
Has anyone installed the Edelbrock E-force SC stage 1 from Brenspeed along with their Detroit Rocker Cams?

I had a professional installer install the SC and Cams last April 2011. Brenspeed had to write many tunes to get the car to just to run reasonably. The vehicle will not idle (giving it gas) or run until the car is warm. Takes a minimum of 4 to 5 minutes. Then the car sometimes dips at idle and especially when coming to a stop. I have had many conversations with the guys at Brenspeed, and they seem genuine, but they tell me this is the way it is with this setup of these Cams and the E-force. I’m not sure if I agree with this.

Last summer at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, I had the car dyno’d at Pro Dyno tuning. The car had the same problems with the tunes they wrote. Dave D. of Pro Dyno worked on it for about two hours and performed at least 6 dyno pulls on the car. Even with all the heat in Myrtle Beach last summer, the car put down great dyno numbers. The Brenspeed tune I had in the car for the initial pull, put down 492 HP and about 465 torque. The tunes that Pro Dyno did increased that. 511 HP at best, I believe. To be expected with a dyno tune over a canned tune. Now, the same issues still existed with Pro Dyno’s tunes. Poor performance and almost impossible to drive cold (I took the car back to the Condo that night and ran it the next morning cold) and also idle dip and stalling. Went back to Pro Dyno the last day of Mustang Week and Dave said he was stuck without doing more extensive tuning and looking at the fuel tables.

Then last September I took it to Street Stangs in Ohio (near my installer) and had Dyno’d tunes developed there. Same problem, and some additional ones. Still, the car does not like to be run cold, and the idle dip and stalling remains. It does not happen constantly, but enough that I often have to restart the car just coming to a red light. Very annoying and embarrassing.

I worked with my installer to see if any installation issues could be causing the problem, and nothing. Vacuum is good, no leaks, and the car has NEVER thrown a code. The car runs with the O2 sensors ON, and has never had a problem. In fact, last November, I had the car at the Dealer I purchased it from for the Bi-annual Virginia Emissions testing. The car passed fine with the Brenspeed tune. The Brenspeed tune is the best one that the car performs on. However, they set the idle very high, around 1050 RPM (even with the RPM set at lowest setting in tuner) to keep the car from stalling. Unfortunately, the cars still stalls sometimes, and the LOPE is not as noticeable at the higher RPM. This defeats part of the purpose of having the CAMS.

I am looking for advice. I am at the point where I want to put the stock CAMS back in and get another Dyno tune to see if this solves the problem. Unfortunately, this is going to cost me MORE money. It is turning into a never ending money sink. Like I said, I worked with the Guys at Brenspeed to resolve this, but basically they got tired of me calling and emailing and stopped working with me to fix this. They told me this is what to expect from this combination of CAMS and SC.

I am not bashing Brenspeed, but I feel as though I have to take another direction to solve this. Any advice or experience with this setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 2/8/12 at 11:15 AM.
Old 2/8/12, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Hello Folks,

I had a professional installer install the SC and Cams last April 2011. Brenspeed had to write many tunes to get the car to just to run reasonably. The vehicle will not idle (giving it gas) or run until the car is warm. Takes a minimum of 4 to 5 minutes. Then the car sometimes dips at idle and especially when coming to a stop. I have had many conversations with the guys at Brenspeed, and they seem genuine, but they tell me this is the way it is with this setup of these Cams and the E-force. I’m not sure if I agree with this.

Last summer at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, I had the car dyno’d at Pro Dyno tuning. The car had the same problems with the tunes they wrote. Dave D. of Pro Dyno worked on it for about two hours and performed at least 6 dyno pulls on the car. Even with all the heat in Myrtle Beach last summer, the car put down great dyno numbers. The Brenspeed tune I had in the car for the initial pull, put down 492 HP and about 465 torque. The tunes that Pro Dyno did increased that. 511 HP at best, I believe. To be expected with a dyno tune over a canned tune. Now, the same issues still existed with Pro Dyno’s tunes. Poor performance and almost impossible to drive cold (I took the car back to the Condo that night and ran it the next morning cold) and also idle dip and stalling. Went back to Pro Dyno the last day of Mustang Week and Dave said he was stuck without doing more extensive tuning and looking at the fuel tables.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott-

I am sorry to hear all of this and this is definitely not how we operate. Were we possibly just waiting on some more information from you in order to move forward? Sometimes a trip here to our facility is the best bet to dial the car in, but i know thats not an option for everyone. It definitely makes things quicker when it comes down to diagnosing a problem or fine tuning the vehicle (vs. sending tunes back and forth through email with datalogs) It definitely does say something that you are running our tune over other dyno tunes you have had in the past, but still if you arent happy you arent happy and it is our job to make you happy. We base this entire business off of good customer service and we will do what it takes to make things right. Have you send us over any datalogs of the car on a cold start so that we can monitor the short term fuel trims at startup and adjust if necessary? With the camshafts and the SC the car is going to idle a little higher than normal as the SC puts more load on the engine at idle and the camshafts have to be adjusted for "idle air or dash pot" so essentially the two are fighting each other and the idle has to be raised in order to make up for it. Please give us a call when you get a chance and let us try and work this out for you, or get you in a better position tune wise. The tuning department can be reached at 574.594.9559 and ask for Miles in the Tuning Dept.

Thanks,
Chandler
Old 2/8/12, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

I was set on getting the ***** Thumpr's, but now it's a tough call after reading the good reviews for the Detroit Rockers....
Old 2/8/12, 05:25 PM

Terry,
Thanks for the info. My car idles after warmup above the 1k mark in relation to your picture. I definitely understand that ANY individual car may not run like stock, I don't expect it to. That being said, I have MANY Mustang friends who have SC's and CAMS, and don't have this problem. They also can fire the car up when cold, and off they go. Unfortunately, none of them have this particular setup of E-Force and Detroit Rocker. My car is more than a garage queen. I have 65K on the car, and over 15k on this setup. I will stay on this whether I remain with the Detroit cams or not.

Chandler,
I'm sure you, John, and Doug remember me. I will be contacting you via email to see what else can be done. We never did any datalogs, but I actually have many of those with one of the other tuners. I do have one with your tune that I logged at cold start up. I could send that to you immediately. I appreciate the comments and thank you for your response to this thread.

Scott

Last edited by 08GOGTCS; 2/8/12 at 06:02 PM.
Old 2/8/12, 09:06 PM
GT Member

Scott,

My above Post and the information was to HELP-You not to have you think I was being clever.
My Mustang is also a driven one.

And I can tell you it took me a lot of time and effort to get it to where it is now.

Driving Normal ..........

You don't say where you live in your information.
If you live within driving distance of Brenspeed ???

Take some time off and get with Chandler and get them to do their thing to get things back to normal.

You say you have driven your Mustang 15,000 miles and it is still acting-up.

It is Time, Past-Time to get it back to Normal !!!

Even if that calls for {Removing} the Detroit Rocker Cams.

I'm trying to Help-You on this and provide you with some possible choice as to how to get things back like you want them.

And I can tell you your car does not have to idle at 1K to 1,100 RPM.
It might very well have to do that the way it is now.
But I can tell you once it is running the way it should the idle will be set back closer to normal.

That's why I did the picture for you so you could see what RPM mine idles at.

And it is a Very Highly Modified Mustang.

It is No Fun driving a car that is doing like what you Describe your's is doing.

I'm an older fellow Scott and I don't jerk others off.
I tell it like it is and that is what I am doing here with you.
It is now 2012 so you probably have Vacation time coming.
Take some of it and go to Brenspeed and get this Mustang Corrected so you can Enjoy it.

And don't worry about the LOPE ..........

Be more concerned and Concentrate on how it Drives in Normal everyday use.

Terry

Terry,
Thanks for the info. My car idles after warmup above the 1k mark in relation to your picture. I definitely understand that ANY individual car may not run like stock, I don't expect it to. That being said, I have MANY Mustang friends who have SC's and CAMS, and don't have this problem. They also can fire the car up when cold, and off they go. Unfortunately, none of them have this particular setup of E-Force and Detroit Rocker. My car is more than a garage queen. I have 65K on the car, and over 15k on this setup. I will stay on this whether I remain with the Detroit cams or not.

Chandler,
I'm sure you, John, and Doug remember me. I will be contacting you via email to see what else can be done. We never did any datalogs, but I actually have many of those with one of the other tuners. I do have one with your tune that I logged at cold start up. I could send that to you immediately. I appreciate the comments and thank you for your response to this thread.

Scott

Quick Reply: Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers - review