GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brake performance upgrade: how to

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/07, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Not doubting your experience, but I haven't washed down the wheels since the install, and the dust just wipes off of mine... Just to verify, I called Hawk, and spoke with Mary, who reassured me that the dust will NOT eat the paint or clearcoat on the wheels.

I put some miles on the brakes yesterday and today after bedding them in and then curing them for 24 hours... There is brake squeal, typical of high-metallic content pads, but not excessive, and yes, virginia, these are DUSTY pads. Of course, having installed the brake ducts and pulled the dust shield, I really have no comparison to make versus stock pads, but my gut tells me that the maintenance interval on the wheels just went up. Initial bite, when cold is very good, and when warmed up a little really gets aggressive. I haven't run them hard enough to try to fade them, though. I'll save that for Autobahn on Monday...
As long as the wheels stay dry there should not be a problem cleaning the brake dust off (from Hawk HP+ or even blues). But if the wheels get wet with the brake dust on them and are allowed to go through some heating and cooling cycles, it gets very difficult to get off. The brake dust will stick and then begin to rust. Admittedly, this process takes a long time as in don't put the car away wet and dirty for the winter and expect to be able to quickly wipe down the wheels in the spring.

Anyone have trouble turning in the pistons for the rear calipers? I saw this happen at the track once on an SN95 and I just had it happen to me this morning. I turned the pistons clockwise but they would not go into the caliper, even with the bleeder screw open (SpeedBleeder is another brand, slightly different from the Earls speed bleeder. The SpeedBleeder screw has an internal spring and ball rather than the spring and plunger).

The solution at the track on the SN95 and on my S-197 this morning was to turn the piston counter-clockwise 1/2 a turn. After that, they turned in fine clockwise like they are supposed to.

BTW, Great thread, SoundGuyDave!!!
Old 10/8/07, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Just a quick update... I ran HPDE today at Autobahn in Joliet, IL., 22 turns on 3.54 miles of pure bliss... after five 20-25 run sessions, there was absolutely NO brake fade or reduction in braking feel, but GOOD GOD my silver wheels are black with brake dust!! They actually look like black chrome, with a solid sheet of brake dust and not a few chunks of rubber...
Old 10/8/07, 09:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Dave,
I am heading up there this weekend. My friend is a member there and invited me out. I am interested to see how my car handles with my suspension mods.
Old 10/8/07, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Dave,
I am heading up there this weekend. My friend is a member there and invited me out. I am interested to see how my car handles with my suspension mods.
You'll have a blast... It's a pretty fast track, lots of runoff room, and a beautiful surface. Watch out for South 9, it's a throwaway. Just worry about your transition into South 10 to set up for the LONG straight transitioning from the south course to the north course. On that straight, get to the left before the midpoint, there's enough of a bump on the right to get you airborne. Also, watch out for North 6, it's a killer decreasing-radius turn that never seems to end, and dumps you into another long straight. I had a lot of trouble finding the good turn-in point (it's later than you think) to allow you to carry real speed off the apex.

Also, come off South 6 hard, and drift left. That will let you keep in the throttle full-out right through South 7 ("the kink") and end up in position for South 8, which is a very tight right. If you're carrying a lot of speed off the straights, you will want to take care of your brakes. In general, the whole course is late-apex... If you don't get the outside wheels on the rumble-strips, you're not driving hard enough.
Old 10/8/07, 09:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You'll have a blast... It's a pretty fast track, lots of runoff room, and a beautiful surface. Watch out for South 9, it's a throwaway. Just worry about your transition into South 10 to set up for the LONG straight transitioning from the south course to the north course. On that straight, get to the left before the midpoint, there's enough of a bump on the right to get you airborne. Also, watch out for North 6, it's a killer decreasing-radius turn that never seems to end, and dumps you into another long straight. I had a lot of trouble finding the good turn-in point (it's later than you think) to allow you to carry real speed off the apex.

Also, come off South 6 hard, and drift left. That will let you keep in the throttle full-out right through South 7 ("the kink") and end up in position for South 8, which is a very tight right. If you're carrying a lot of speed off the straights, you will want to take care of your brakes. In general, the whole course is late-apex... If you don't get the outside wheels on the rumble-strips, you're not driving hard enough.
I've been there a bunch of times Very fun track to drive and it's designed to be very safe. Did you happen to get any lap times?
Old 10/9/07, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
I've been there a bunch of times Very fun track to drive and it's designed to be very safe. Did you happen to get any lap times?
Nope, no lap times... I was in HPDE 1 with NASA, so no transponder rentals available. I was outrunning a Porsche 944 who was a member, and claimed 3:15 lap times, so I don't feel too bad about my first time out (EVER!). It took me the entire first session just to get acclimated, the entire second session to figure out how to drive the automatic on-course, and then the next two to start to find the line. The last session, though, was an absolute blast, and I really started to get some smooth transitions. I think I would have benefitted from either a slightly taller rear gear, or a slightly shorter one... I always seemed to find myself shifting into fourth JUST in time to downshift for a corner... Hanging 6400RPM was a lot of fun, but just not comfortable...
Old 10/9/07, 03:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Which Earl's solo bleeders did you use? There appears to be quite a few different sizes and most sellers dont' list them by vehicle application but rather by size.

TIA
BB
Semper Fi
Old 10/9/07, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Centurion96
Which Earl's solo bleeders did you use? There appears to be quite a few different sizes and most sellers dont' list them by vehicle application but rather by size.

TIA
BB
Semper Fi
Agreed--I'm ready to order these from Summit--but the latest year they show is 1997, and there are various sizes.
Old 10/10/07, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96

TIA
BB
Semper Fi
EAR-280040ERL is the part number I used. 10X1.0MM thread, 32MM overall length. They're a hair longer (I think 0.4MM?) than our stock bleeders, but that's no problem at all, given how the design works.
Old 10/10/07, 11:16 AM

Thanks Dave! Ordering mine now. This will definitely save me time and make it more convenient to bleed the brakes!

I only wish the bleeder screws were on the outside of the caliper so I could access them w/o jacking the car and taking the wheels off!
Old 10/10/07, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

I'm doing pretty much the same brake mod shortly on my '07 GT with a couple of changes. I'm using Agent 47 lower grill and cooling ducts and EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. I'm hoping for the same overall results , but with a little more initial bite out of the brake pads.
Old 10/10/07, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

You, know, those black-chrome wheels of mine look pretty good!! Oh, wait, they're silver... Note the finger-swipe on the third pic...

I think that I'll be swapping out to factory pads tomorrow, just to cut down on the brake dust. The HP-Plus pads absolutely ROCK on the track, but the dust is killing me... I will defininately put them back on next season when I get out to a road course, though, without a second thought.
Attached Images    
Old 10/10/07, 05:14 PM

You, know, those black-chrome wheels of mine look pretty good!! Oh, wait, they're silver... Note the finger-swipe on the third pic...

I think that I'll be swapping out to factory pads tomorrow, just to cut down on the brake dust. The HP-Plus pads absolutely ROCK on the track, but the dust is killing me... I will defininately put them back on next season when I get out to a road course, though, without a second thought.

Yeah man my Yellowstuffs are the same way. Fortunately the dust washes off very easily--a small price to pay for consistent, fade-free braking.
Old 3/27/08, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm completely lost LOL on changing out pads..... sounds silly I know but is it as hard as it sounds? Also I'm trying to figure out exactly what tool I need.
Old 3/27/08, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I'm completely lost LOL on changing out pads..... sounds silly I know but is it as hard as it sounds? Also I'm trying to figure out exactly what tool I need.

Hello!!!! I can help if you need!!
Scott

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...59585&page=148
Old 3/27/08, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Tom, are you stuck on the fronts or the rears? Post here, or PM me if you want...
Old 3/28/08, 05:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom, are you stuck on the fronts or the rears? Post here, or PM me if you want...
I'm hoping to tear into it tonight/tomorrow..... I'll post if I need some advice.
Old 3/28/08, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

All done.... test drive to come tomorrow. No problems, other than the springs breaking easily off of the Posi Centric pads that came with the Rotorpros. If I have an issue with them, I'll replace the fronts with Hawk units.

Thanks to Dave and Scott.
Old 3/28/08, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool! I'm glad it all worked out for you!
Old 3/29/08, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, thanks again Dave. Car was pretty "mushy" at first but seems to be getting noticeably better. No noise, etc. or anything weird after probably around 50 miles of driving with several 70-0 hard stops.

Quick Reply: Brake performance upgrade: how to