GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brake opinions from everyone please...

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/07, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake opinions from everyone please...

I'm investigating my options and peoples opinions on a brake upgrade. Currently I'm using HP+ pads (front and rear) and the stock rotors are getting to the end of their life span and will be replaced sometime between now and march of this next year.

Any clearance issues with these choices (the bb kits) and or anything else I should consider?

I'm running;

Bullet Style wheels from AmericanMuscle.com
18x9 front
18x10 rear

Hawk HP+ pads

I will get softer pads this time around, something that makes less noise.

I do track days every now and then and enjoy a car that stops as well as it gets up and goes....

Options:

1. rotors, pads, ss lines (minimum i'm going to do)
2. stoptech bb kit
3. brembo TS kit
4. AP racing kit

Eventually, another project not finished, I'll get my nitrous kit up and going... and then stopping will be even more important.

Anyone else driving around with unfinished mods?

Anyway....

opinions please...

thanks
jake
Old 11/26/07, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
These may be worth investigating further. I do not know anything about these at all but I saw them on Ebay over the weekend. They are a complete kit including SS brake lines. You have to admit the price is right but maybe someone out there has some experience with these that can give you some more input.
Scott
Old 11/26/07, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
These may be worth investigating further. I do not know anything about these at all but I saw them on Ebay over the weekend. They are a complete kit including SS brake lines. You have to admit the price is right but maybe someone out there has some experience with these that can give you some more input.
Scott

I don't see what you are pointing to. I have the same American Muscle wheels as above, so I am interested too...

Mike E
Old 11/27/07, 07:31 AM

Heya

I was reading an article in Sport Compact magazine (I swear, I'm probably the only guy around here that reads it) where they actually went and ran some tests with a Stoptech big brake kit vs. Stock. (I really wish more mags ran evaluations like this on suspension and brake setups)

Some observations from the mag:
- Decreasing your brake distance is all about brake balance. If you max out front wheel grip way before your back wheels, your brake distance is going to suffer. Installing the Stoptech big brake kit actually increased brake distance to their test car because it threw off the brake balance.
- You want to max out grip on your front wheels a bit before your rear wheels go, for stability. If you max out rear grip, it's hard to keep the car going straight/under control as you stop. A perfectly balanced system will stop fast, but be hard to control (which is bad) SAE tests for brake balance by maxing out the car on a skidpad and then hitting the brakes to see if the car will keep pointed in the right direction.
- You stop with your tires not with your brakes. ie. Stickier tires is more important than better brakes.

This is starting to be more complex than I can figure out. If it was me, I'd probably do stuff that almost has few drawbacks:
- Stainless steel brake lines
- Change brake fluid more often, and switch up to Motul RBF600
- race tires and lighter wheels for the track (if I'm hardcore)
(I love the look of the american muscle wheels too, they're 29 lbs each!)
- brake cooling kit

If anyone has any links to 3rd party reviews of brake kits (or suspension for that matter) I'd love to read it