GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brake Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/05, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to sign up for an SVTOA track event in May, but need to find brake upgrades first. Anyone know how much front OEM rotors cost? What kind of performance/track pads are available? I read somewhere that Porterfield was coming out with some soon. Any company make stainless steel brake lines? I don't want to go to the track with my stock brakes, so I need to do something soon or not go at all. The OEM brakes will be toast after a few laps.
Old 3/31/05, 07:36 AM
GT Member

Good luck! Steeda has some that are outrageous and you only get rotors for 1,000 and Stoptech I believe has some, but you have to buy the whole kit which is over 2,000.
Old 4/5/05, 03:35 PM
FR500 Member

Powerslot now has front and rear rotors for the '05 V6 and GT. They are slotted, not drilled... and run about a hundred a piece.

Edit: And I know Hawk has performance brake pads too.
Old 4/5/05, 04:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Powerslot would be the way to go...with some Hawk pads. The powerslot ones come either slotted or a faux-cross drilled which looks cool IMO.
Old 4/5/05, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Ronaele is offering LIFETIME slotted and cross-drilled rotors. I saw their car in person at an event I went to this past weekend. I live in Tampa, they are out of Palm Harbor.

Ed is a really great guy, nice to talk to. He said they are still working on getting their parts / products available through tirerack.com and NAPA, not definite, but in the works.

Might I add that their car is even sicker in person. Looks great, they did a nice job. But their rotors can be seen at ronaelemustang.com - under parts section.

I believe he said they will run around $150.00 each. Much better than Steeda's, and they have a LIFETIME warranty.
Old 4/5/05, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just came out with the R4-S compound for the 05 stang. Not yet listed on website so give them a call. Best I've ever used
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
Old 4/5/05, 10:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I emailed Performance Friction today. I will post something when I hear back from them.
Old 4/7/05, 10:46 AM
GT Member

How about brake fluid ? I always changed the brake fluid in my previous cars with motorcycle-specific Motul brake fluid so it wouldn't boil, as well as HP-Plus for track days. These pads were so noisy but got progressively quieter as they were getting hot.
Old 4/7/05, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

th best avalible is stoptech.com
Old 4/7/05, 12:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05@April 7, 2005, 1:04 PM
th best avalible is stoptech.com
I would take Brembo or AP racing over Stoptech anyday of the week. A BBK is a waste if you aren't a hardcore road racer and/or an experience driver.

As for brake fluid, the HD Ford fluid has a pretty high BP. Motul is good stuff too.
Old 4/7/05, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

heres a pic of the steeda KVR brakes
Crossed Drilled Discs offer an enhanced initial bite (more responsive, especially in wet weather) and greater heat dissipation (reduction in heat induced fade - "Brake Fade") as compared to O.E.M.

KVR Performance uses only the very best in components: 6061 T6 billet aluminum for the hats, directionally-vaned, American made racing discs for the rotors, and NAS aerospace grade hardware to mount the hats to the discs. Lighter than stock (4 lbs. less per rotor up front, 3 lbs. less out back; 14lbs. lighter total!), thus reducing rotating mass and increasing braking ability.

VELOCITY CHANNELS are machined by KVR into the hat assembly to allow for airflow onto the outboard face, equalizing inboard and outboard disc temperatures. These velocity channels allow extra ventilation to prevent heat soak when static (stopped after a lapping session or high temperature use). Every KVR disc is hand assembled and checked for lateral, radial run-out as well as surface finsh and overall balance ( 0.70 KG mm ). Direct fit - no modifications required to install.
Old 4/7/05, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by charles@April 7, 2005, 2:25 PM
heres a pic of the steeda KVR brakes
Crossed Drilled Discs offer an enhanced initial bite (more responsive, especially in wet weather) and greater heat dissipation (reduction in heat induced fade - "Brake Fade") as compared to O.E.M.

KVR Performance uses only the very best in components: 6061 T6 billet aluminum for the hats, directionally-vaned, American made racing discs for the rotors, and NAS aerospace grade hardware to mount the hats to the discs. Lighter than stock (4 lbs. less per rotor up front, 3 lbs. less out back; 14lbs. lighter total!), thus reducing rotating mass and increasing braking ability.

VELOCITY CHANNELS are machined by KVR into the hat assembly to allow for airflow onto the outboard face, equalizing inboard and outboard disc temperatures. These velocity channels allow extra ventilation to prevent heat soak when static (stopped after a lapping session or high temperature use). Every KVR disc is hand assembled and checked for lateral, radial run-out as well as surface finsh and overall balance ( 0.70 KG mm ). Direct fit - no modifications required to install.