GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brake Ducts Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/06, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Ducts Installed

I finally had a chance to install the Agent47 brake duct kit I ordered after seeing the SEMA shots of it. http://www.agentfortyseven.com/home.html For the first time I was able to tell my wife that I'm upgrading with parts that make the car go slower.

Installation was very straight forward and excellent directions were provided. Removing the stock lower grill was easier than expected. I popped the front end up on jack stands first to give easier access (also needed when hooking up to the caliper end anyway).

There are 3 tabs per side that hold it in to the front fascia, but really only the bottom two hold it in. I just used a flat bladed screwdriver to pry back the lower tabs while pulling on the lower grill. With a little wiggling, it came right out.

The replacement lower grill with integrated brake ducts pops right in. Then you attach the diverters from the back and attach them to the lower grill using the included stainless hardware. Getting a wrench on the locknut was a pain in the rear due to the tight spacing under there, but it still went without a hitch.

From here, you remove the front wheels. Then you remove the two bolts that hold the front brake caliper on and bungie the caliper up out of the way. Pull the rotor off (it pulls right off if you have already removed the factory installation circle clips). The factory dust shield is held in place with 3 bolts that are removed. Then the new brake duct is mounted using 2 of the stock bolts and holes. Reassemble everything and be sure to torque the caliper bolts to spec (85 ft./lbs.).

Now you just attach the high temp hose provided to the diverters off the back side of the new lower grill using the stainless hose clamp provided. Don't cut the hose yet! The instructions say to cut to 42", but that was actually a little bit too long. Zip tie (the kit included the biggest freakin' zip ties I've ever seen) the hose in place. Then, with the steering wheel at full outside lock on the wheel you are working on, cut the hose to length so it is long enough that it doesn't pull or bind. Hose clamp it on and you are done!

I'm impressed with the fit and finish of the kit. You can't even notice it is installed, since it looks like an OEM part. I also appreciated the nice little touches like stainless hardware and locknuts. 2 thumbs up for a great product.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Ducts Installed-a47-package-2.jpg   Brake Ducts Installed-back-stock-lower-grill.jpg   Brake Ducts Installed-caliper-removed.jpg   Brake Ducts Installed-duct-mounted.jpg   Brake Ducts Installed-installation-complete.jpg  

Brake Ducts Installed-front-a47-ducts-installed.jpg  
Old 12/17/06, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it direct air into the rotor or just onto the inner surface?
Old 12/17/06, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It looks like it directs air into the center part of the rotor, which should allow it to distribute evenly throughout the rotor (due to the vanes).

However, I'm not liking the design of the duct itself. All that flexing will eventually cause something to wear. The OEMs would have used a hard polymer duct that directs air in the general direction of the center of the rotor.
Old 12/17/06, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
Does it direct air into the rotor or just onto the inner surface?
It directs air to the center of the rotor hat, which as metroplex pointed out, is the correct way to engineer it.

Originally Posted by metroplex
It looks like it directs air into the center part of the rotor, which should allow it to distribute evenly throughout the rotor (due to the vanes).

However, I'm not liking the design of the duct itself. All that flexing will eventually cause something to wear. The OEMs would have used a hard polymer duct that directs air in the general direction of the center of the rotor.
True, OEM ducts are molded plastic. However, this type of ducting is standard for for everyone else (including professionals). As long as it is routed properly, there shouldn't be any abnormal wear issues.
Old 12/17/06, 08:03 PM
Banned

Thanks for the write up . I have been looking at this kit for awhile and decided it was one of the better "integrated" kits on the market. I also like how it makes a subtle visual change in the front, nothing big, but enough to notice. Do let us know what you think of metroplex's concerns about the hoses.

I also like their mirrors and front grill.
Old 12/18/06, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

nice

I am an old roundy rounder racer , and have thought of doing my own version of this mod . i like the clean look of there kit , and the lower grille looks awesome .

Big question is , how much was the kit ?????????????????
Old 12/18/06, 03:21 PM
Cobra R Member

How much? Thanks for any info and a link would be great. thanks
Old 12/18/06, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fordcrazy
I am an old roundy rounder racer , and have thought of doing my own version of this mod . i like the clean look of there kit , and the lower grille looks awesome .

Big question is , how much was the kit ?????????????????
Originally Posted by sodaman
How much? Thanks for any info and a link would be great. thanks
I also really liked the clean look of the grill. Only the most hardcore Mustang fan/owner will notice it.

The link is posted in the first post. You have to click the purchase button to get the price (don't worry, you don't commit to buying). The price has gone up since I bought them (more than doubled for the full kit). It may be worth emailing them to see if you can work a group buy or something.

Another option is only buying the lower grill (current price is $220), then you can use your stock rotor shields as a base for the caliper duct mounts. Just cut a hole in them and rivet on a short length of 3" exhaust tubing. Get 8' of 3" tubing (high temp is recommended) and you are good to go.
Old 1/15/07, 12:23 PM
Cobra R Member

steeda brake duct kit

well it seems steeda has come up with one as well, it will work on either there facia or stock one it says, has anyone installed one of these billet brake duct kits yet? Just wondering if anyone has shots of it installed, thanks

Oh yah cheaper too!
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...e_duct_kit.php
Attached Images  
Old 1/15/07, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

It looks cool.

Right now i am imagining that hose going up into the airbox for a ram air effect.
Old 1/15/07, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks cool. A47 has some interesting products.........
Old 1/15/07, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Dude, that's $500 for the lower grill and kit!!

Would you say it has given you your money's worth?