GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla Vs. Flowmasters

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/06, 12:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the borlas are better, sound great and thats whats on my jetta. Borla makes a much better muffler.. but you know what

the boss is getting side exit spin techs with boom tubes.

although it would also be nice if anyone has a video with the borlas, with the car under load. Gives a better feel of the actual sound of the car.

again paul is truely helping out the forum by makeing great tutorials, and videos. Even though in the begning i was doing all the work. LOL

when i get my 05+ its getting borlas, if for no other reason. gets rid of the darn mufflers right behind the bumper cover. FORD: WHY ARENT THEY IN FRONT OF THE AXLE
Old 2/20/06, 05:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheese302 @ February 20, 2006, 3:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
the borlas are better, sound great and thats whats on my jetta. Borla makes a much better muffler.. but you know what

the boss is getting side exit spin techs with boom tubes.

although it would also be nice if anyone has a video with the borlas, with the car under load. Gives a better feel of the actual sound of the car.

again paul is truely helping out the forum by makeing great tutorials, and videos. Even though in the begning i was doing all the work. LOL

when i get my 05+ its getting borlas, if for no other reason. gets rid of the darn mufflers right behind the bumper cover. FORD: WHY ARENT THEY IN FRONT OF THE AXLE
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I have to give credit to Cheese302, for he has been my working guy/mechanic that has done 50% of my mods. (LCAs, First Flowmaster Exhaust Set, B&M Shifter.)

With regards to the Flowmasters, I now have my 3RD Set of Flowmasters on, the last two having to be defective because of that weld in the right muffler! If this 3rd set fails like the other two, I will surely be seeing about getting my money back and purchasing Borla's without a doubt!
Old 2/20/06, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ February 20, 2006, 1:04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mark:

The drone may not hit you as hard... being in the auto,
if it gears down, it'll get outta the drone area.
ie: Doing 90-110 on the QE in 5th and applying throttle without downshifting... (between 1700-2100rpm in 5th)

However, if your just casually applying throttle and it doesn't downshift, you're in for a world of pain my friend [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
It's a good pain though... but a very loud pain

Hope that helps
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Hey Pete....thanks....I think I'll be getting the 3:73's which will bump me up and away from the 2100 or so that I'm running at 110-120 km/h. But I'm sure that East Hamilton Radio has a way to fix the drone if it's that bad.....man these mods are like a ripple effect, just one thing after another !!!

Talk to ya soon, Mark
Old 2/20/06, 05:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this debate for months, and months, while my car was clean/unscheduled, but after watching GhostGT's video, that clinched my decision: BORLA's ALL THE WAY!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

I am SO happy I went with the Borla S mufflers. They are incredible! Love the sound, and the drone, while there, isn't something that I can't live with. The drone is definitely just below 2,000 RPM's. Just watch the tach, and it is very controllable. I just like the deeper, throatier sound that these make, compared to the Flows. Borla's #1 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/20/06, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheese302 @ February 20, 2006, 2:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

For a quieter interior would be my guess.
Old 2/20/06, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 20, 2006, 7:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes, I have to give credit to Cheese302, for he has been my working guy/mechanic that has done 50% of my mods. (LCAs, First Flowmaster Exhaust Set, B&M Shifter.)

With regards to the Flowmasters, I now have my 3RD Set of Flowmasters on, the last two having to be defective because of that weld in the right muffler! If this 3rd set fails like the other two, I will surely be seeing about getting my money back and purchasing Borla's without a doubt!
[/b][/quote]

What was the sound like, that you knew that it was defective?
Old 2/20/06, 09:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 20, 2006, 9:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What was the sound like, that you knew that it was defective?
[/b][/quote]

rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the vehicle during low RPMs in 4th or 5th gear and sometimes you can hear it under hard acceleration.
Old 2/21/06, 10:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Glad I could make this video for everyone! Enjoy!
Old 2/22/06, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Great vid! I would like to point out that in my experience with Borlas (have 3 pairs and a 4th on the way!) , they tend to get a little louder after being driven for a few days. Anyone else notice this? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/22/06, 09:55 PM

They do get a little louder and better sounding with time. I put my set about 6 months ago and they ended up rusting and pitting out. I sent Borla some pics and they are sending me a new set. I hope they sound good with the stainless works headers and OR/H pipe I just ordered last night.
Old 2/22/06, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The tips? or the whole muffler?
Old 2/22/06, 10:07 PM

The pitting mainly starts at the tip and only goes back a few inches...but if you really close you can see pit marks further back. I didnt think they were supposed to rust but they did. I still love em and wouldnt get any other brand.
Old 2/22/06, 10:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I would try to keep a good coat of chrome polish on them replacements!

darn Illinois and the salt! My license plate frames from Cal Mustang pitted in 4 days! One day in the snow and they were shot! This was with a coat of zaino. I had another frame since I didnt use my front plate and put 4 coats of zaino. It lasted longer, but still in a few weeks was toast.
Old 2/22/06, 10:12 PM

Yeah i thought the salt may have had something to do with the durability. Hey what burb u from Stoenr?
Old 2/22/06, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 21, 2006, 12:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Glad I could make this video for everyone! Enjoy!
[/b][/quote]

Thanks again to you two Paul. FRP Stingers arrived today, had 'em installed today (it was my birthday present to me and the car....both born on the 23rd of Feb) and man do they sound fantastic in person !!! And.....that little extra bit of power is actually noticeable. Had the neighbor drive it down the road, then outa the neighborhood completely.......it was a cold, still night and I could hear the pipes a mile away - literally [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Money well spent IMO. And Pete (if you're reading).....Lance and everyone at Eastgate Ford have been just the best !! Nice to see some real enthusiasts at a dealership for a change.

Mark
Old 2/22/06, 10:28 PM
V6 Member

Didn't notice any power gains, but it's probably because tuner has not arrived yet (it comes tomorrow! Woohoo, thanks Doug!). The stock tunes are really restrictive.
Old 2/24/06, 05:23 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mark...glad to hear [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Yes, I have nothing but respect for Lance and his Eastgate crew...

Now you can't sneak up on anyone!

Time to update the signature
Old 2/24/06, 06:45 PM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 20, 2006, 4:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I have been talking to Flowmaster for the past few days about my would be 3rd set. I opted for the full refund today! I already placed my order for the Borlas!!!

This video was my deciding factor!!!
Old 2/24/06, 09:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S197 GT @ February 24, 2006, 8:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have been talking to Flowmaster for the past few days about my would be 3rd set. I opted for the full refund today! I already placed my order for the Borlas!!!

This video was my deciding factor!!!
[/b][/quote]

I'm assuming you got your refund?
Old 2/25/06, 10:24 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ February 19, 2006, 4:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Oh great...another one...
Steve is going to be the only different one [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Chalk another Ontarian with Borla's [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Good to hear you got them.... we need a video of ALL of us starting them up, not just me and Dan [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Well, there goes the GTA Neighbourhood [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] Did we pick a winner or what eh pete?

Quick Reply: Borla Vs. Flowmasters