GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla Question

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/06, 10:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I decided I want to put mufflers back on my car...and I am fairly certain I want to go with Borla this time. I had bassani before...and it wasn't loud enough. I went to no mufflers, added an xpipe (catted and uncatted...tried both), and added shorty headers. I'm not happy with the sound. Its loud...but not deep enough.

I want to add mufflers....and take the cats back off. So its headers, xpipe, and mufflers.

From my understanding. Borla makes the FRRP axlebacks...so they are the same (?).

I see that there are Borlas, Borla Stingers, and Ford racing.

I want LOUD and DEEP....but deep especially. I know the xpipe will take a little away from the deepness. too loud is not possible...because I had the car for a while with nothing but pipes (no cats or mufflers).

Which of those three sounds like what I am looking for? Anyone have any personal experience with any or all of the three?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] very confused...help!

Richard
Old 2/8/06, 11:19 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurfnSoCal @ February 8, 2006, 11:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, I decided I want to put mufflers back on my car...and I am fairly certain I want to go with Borla this time. I had bassani before...and it wasn't loud enough. I went to no mufflers, added an xpipe (catted and uncatted...tried both), and added shorty headers. I'm not happy with the sound. Its loud...but not deep enough.

I want to add mufflers....and take the cats back off. So its headers, xpipe, and mufflers.
From my understanding. Borla makes the FRRP axlebacks...so they are the same (?).

I see that there are Borlas, Borla Stingers, and Ford racing.

I want LOUD and DEEP....but deep especially. I know the xpipe will take a little away from the deepness. too loud is not possible...because I had the car for a while with nothing but pipes (no cats or mufflers).

Which of those three sounds like what I am looking for? Anyone have any personal experience with any or all of the three?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] very confused...help!
Richard
[/b][/quote]

The FRPP M-5230-5GT and Borla 11750 are the same muffler (stringer type). I haven't heard the combo you want yet...would be nice to hear though. How about adding a new cam?
Old 2/8/06, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just added a brenspeed o/r H to my frpp. They are the same as borlas but cheaper. Look up john beakly ford for the best price on them. I think the sound is pretty good but I dont have much to compair to. Its the loudest thing I have ever driven and I love it! I think the X pipe makes it a little higher pitched thats why I went with an H. I kinda remember also reading that the mac prochamber was supposed to make things deep.
Old 2/8/06, 02:10 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 8, 2006, 3:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just added a brenspeed o/r H to my frpp. They are the same as borlas but cheaper. Look up john beakly ford for the best price on them. I think the sound is pretty good but I dont have much to compair to. Its the loudest thing I have ever driven and I love it! I think the X pipe makes it a little higher pitched thats why I went with an H. I kinda remember also reading that the mac prochamber was supposed to make things deep.
[/b][/quote]

Can you make a clip of your exhaust, i have been trying like mad to find a clip of borlas with an off road h or x pipe(preferabbly bassani)
Old 2/8/06, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 8, 2006, 12:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

does your exhaust trumpet at all? with the O/R hpipe and borlas/frrp mufflers?

I really would love to hear it.
Old 2/8/06, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurfnSoCal @ February 8, 2006, 3:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
does your exhaust trumpet at all? with the O/R hpipe and borlas/frrp mufflers?
I really would love to hear it.
[/b][/quote]

I have been reading a lot about the trumpeting and as far as I know I think it does. Right at 2500 rpm's for a split second it changes tone...I don't really mind it tho. Sounds very mean and I think maybe the different tone is more noticeable from inside the car. I haven't don't much testing (friend driving by) to see...but I do like the sound so far. I want LT's to go in the mix possibly. I don't have a vid but there may be one somewhere with the frpp and a o/r H.
Old 2/8/06, 02:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 8, 2006, 1:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have been reading a lot about the trumpeting and as far as I know I think it does. Right at 2500 rpm's for a split second it changes tone...I don't really mind it tho. Sounds very mean and I think maybe the different tone is more noticeable from inside the car. I haven't don't much testing (friend driving by) to see...but I do like the sound so far. I want LT's to go in the mix possibly. I don't have a vid but there may be one somewhere with the frpp and a o/r H.
[/b][/quote]

the "trumpeting" sounds like a horn or...a trumpet! its loud, ricy, and obnoxious. NOT muscle carish at all.

I think every exhaust changes tone at 2500 to some degree.....but with a LM/Straight Pipe and no cat set up....its REALLY bad at 2,500rpm.

so does it do this? anyway to get a video from you? I am on the verge of getting borlas...
Old 2/8/06, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Only way I could get a vid is with a cannon digitial camera. I can try that but have no way of hosting it and it will end up a large file im thinking. But I can give it a go for you! Let me see what I can do...

Why dont you drive down here for mardi gras and you can swing by and take a listen [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 8, 2006, 4:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Only way I could get a vid is with a cannon digitial camera. I can try that but have no way of hosting it and it will end up a large file im thinking. But I can give it a go for you! Let me see what I can do...

Why dont you drive down here for mardi gras and you can swing by and take a listen [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

please make the vid, any vid is better than no one. I bet someone can host it for you too.
Old 2/8/06, 03:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 8, 2006, 1:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I can host it for you...I'll give you temporary ftp access to my site. just let me know when its done.
Old 2/8/06, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard, I will be trying Bassanis in a week or two. I traded my LMs to a friend, who will be making his switch this weekend, and then shipping me the Bassanis. The Magnaflows I have now negate the trumpeting, but they're pretty mellow at idle and part throttle. The sound decent at WOT. I'm hoping the Bassanis also take care of the trumpeting, but are louder than the Magnaflows. Stop by Qualcomm sometime when I'm there and take a listen.
Old 2/9/06, 06:41 AM

if you want loud and deep frpp/borlas are your muffler... i love how deep they are.... very mean and aggressive sounding when you get on it... basically i was looking for a very deep sounding and very aggressive sounding muffler when i choose the frpps and i wasn't disappointed at all... : )
Old 2/9/06, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(<el Prohibido> @ February 9, 2006, 7:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
if you want loud and deep frpp/borlas are your muffler... i love how deep they are.... very mean and aggressive sounding when you get on it... basically i was looking for a very deep sounding and very aggressive sounding muffler when i choose the frpps and i wasn't disappointed at all... : )
[/b][/quote]

I really like mine...as for the trumpts I guess they dont bother me enough to care. I am also the type that likes drone [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

I will try to get a vid for yall...
Old 2/9/06, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

PLEEASSEE get a vid for this... I am exactly with you, I want a deep grumbly exhaust, none of that tinny stuff. I've been considering this setup for a long time. Was going to go with the FRPP's for the deep tone, and the o/r H for the loudness..I would love you forever for a video of this.
Old 2/9/06, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eromzek @ February 9, 2006, 12:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
PLEEASSEE get a vid for this... I am exactly with you, I want a deep grumbly exhaust, none of that tinny stuff. I've been considering this setup for a long time. Was going to go with the FRPP's for the deep tone, and the o/r H for the loudness..I would love you forever for a video of this.
[/b][/quote]
Until Marks get's his video up, here's ghostGT's vid that sold me!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...=39353&hl=borla
Old 2/9/06, 12:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ February 9, 2006, 11:51 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Until Marks get's his video up, here's ghostGT's vid that sold me!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...=39353&hl=borla
[/b][/quote]

there are plenty of Borla videos....what we want to hear are borlas WITH an xpipe (cats or no cats) and/or headers. If this set up sounds like the uncatted xpipe with bassanis....I will get the borlas. I just want something a little louder than the bassani's...but not trumpeting.
Old 2/9/06, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurfnSoCal @ February 9, 2006, 1:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
there are plenty of Borla videos....what we want to hear are borlas WITH an xpipe (cats or no cats) and/or headers. If this set up sounds like the uncatted xpipe with bassanis....I will get the borlas. I just want something a little louder than the bassani's...but not trumpeting.
[/b][/quote]

I have an H no cats on my car.

What I would honestly do is just get the frpp for 360 shipped and give them a go. If you dont like you can always get most of your $ back on here. Take like 25 bucks off and chalk it up to R&D. Thats what made me decided to get the o/r H to try out...see what it sounded like with no cats. Vids never give you the real feeling...but I am willing to get one hopefuly by the weekend and let you post it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/9/06, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 9, 2006, 3:08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have an H no cats on my car.

What I would honestly do is just get the frpp for 360 shipped and give them a go. If you dont like you can always get most of your $ back on here. Take like 25 bucks off and chalk it up to R&D. Thats what made me decided to get the o/r H to try out...see what it sounded like with no cats. Vids never give you the real feeling...but I am willing to get one hopefuly by the weekend and let you post it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

How do you like your setup? Like I said before, you've got the exact exhaust setup i've been considering for a while. I've debated between the MAC mufflers and the o/r H and the FRPP's and the o/r H...but feedback on the FRPP's sound pretty positive. I really just want that low grumble, SO bad. Let me know, thanks.
Old 2/9/06, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eromzek @ February 9, 2006, 2:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How do you like your setup? Like I said before, you've got the exact exhaust setup i've been considering for a while. I've debated between the MAC mufflers and the o/r H and the FRPP's and the o/r H...but feedback on the FRPP's sound pretty positive. I really just want that low grumble, SO bad. Let me know, thanks.
[/b][/quote]

My good friend has the mac exhaust. From what he says (he had both on his car for a while) he thinks the macs drone more then the frpp and he likes the drone more...but said he thought the frpp sounded better outside the car, louder and more agressive sounding. I like my frpp over his mac's. I have not heard the mac's on the o/r H tho.
Old 2/9/06, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

i demand videos.

Quick Reply: Borla Question