GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/05, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I put on the Borla "S" type cat backs this weekend. The installation went pretty smooth I still need to do a little bit of fine alignment on the tips.

All clamps and connections are tight and have been checked twice. I have good clearance everywhere including around the body, drive shaft, axle, hangers, everywhere. This has also been checked twice.

There is no unusual amount of movement in the pipes when I try to shake them vigorously. Only what the rubber hangers allow.

I get a tinney rattle off and on at low RPM's more towards the right rear and not where the cat back pipes connect to the H pipe. The only thing I can think off that a baffle or something is loose inside the Borla muffler itself but I cannot duplicate it when I have the car not running down the road. It occurs both when the pipes are hot and cold equally.

Has anyone had any problems and suggest anything that could help.
It is driving me nuts. :bang:
Old 9/12/05, 09:49 AM
GT Member

I'm curious, because I think I have the same issue with my SLP Loudmouths.

First of all, is yours a Convertible ?

2nd, does it rattle with the top up and down ?

Ever since I installed my SLP's, I hear a rattle from the right rear when the exhaust is rumbling, especially at lower speeds. It sound like two pieces of sheet metal touching. I only hear it when the convertible top is UP. I've been wondering if it's something inside the body when the top is up.
Old 9/12/05, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes mine is a vert but it rattles with both the top up and down. It is not as noticeable with the top down but it is definitely there.

I put the top up this morning for the trip into work and it was very annoying because it was more pronounced without all the wind and other noise with the top down.
Old 9/12/05, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Red Ryder@September 12, 2005, 11:52 AM
I'm curious, because I think I have the same issue with my SLP Loudmouths.

First of all, is yours a Convertible ?

2nd, does it rattle with the top up and down ?

Ever since I installed my SLP's, I hear a rattle from the right rear when the exhaust is rumbling, especially at lower speeds. It sound like two pieces of sheet metal touching. I only hear it when the convertible top is UP. I've been wondering if it's something inside the body when the top is up.
I had the exact same problem with my SLP's. The problem turned out to be one of the hangers was rattling against a piece of metal connected to the "hanger holder" (whatever). I just had to back it up a little toward the front of the car. Coincidentally it was on the right side as well.

As for the Borla's I assume the problem is somewhat the same. Check your hangers again, even if it looks like it's about 1/2" away from any metal the vibration and flex of the car is going to close that gap.
Old 9/12/05, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Every once in a while i'll get a tinney bugle sound from mine. Guess I should check my hangers too.
Old 9/12/05, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 6505pony@September 12, 2005, 9:43 AM
OK I put on the Borla "S" type cat backs this weekend. The installation went pretty smooth I still need to do a little bit of fine alignment on the tips.

All clamps and connections are tight and have been checked twice. I have good clearance everywhere including around the body, drive shaft, axle, hangers, everywhere. This has also been checked twice.

There is no unusual amount of movement in the pipes when I try to shake them vigorously. Only what the rubber hangers allow.

I get a tinney rattle off and on at low RPM's more towards the right rear and not where the cat back pipes connect to the H pipe. The only thing I can think off that a baffle or something is loose inside the Borla muffler itself but I cannot duplicate it when I have the car not running down the road. It occurs both when the pipes are hot and cold equally.

its the hanger supports (not sure if that is the right terminology)---i had the same problem---they need to be shortened
Old 9/12/05, 11:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

i have that same tiny little tickle rattling at low RPM's with the flowmasters, just noticed it the other night, looks like I'll need to get under it again and tighten the clamp
Old 9/12/05, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 6505pony@September 12, 2005, 10:43 AM

I had the same problem. It drove me nuts. Mine was on the drivers side. The rear hanger was too long, it was making contact with the metal just behind the bumper. Took it off, cut an inch and a half off and it's fine now.
Old 9/12/05, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I get the tinny sound with my Flowies and off-road x-pipe. Sounds like a "RICER" Apparently, it's the design of the new exhaust. I think everyone's gonna experience the tinny sound. I wish I had the sound of my '01 GT with the American Thunder exhaust kit. Now, that was some sweet music to my ears.
Old 9/12/05, 09:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the Borla Axleback.
No tinny sound here.
Old 9/13/05, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think I found it. The left rear muffler hanger pin appears to occasionaly be rubbing the rear body sheet metal panel that sits behind the back bumper.

There is a little clearance but the exhaust must shift back a little at certain RPM's. I taped a piece of thick cardboard between the tip of the hanger pin and the panel to test to see if the noise went away and it has so far.

Should be an easy fix when I finish the tip alignment process.

Thanks for the input everyone.