GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BMR Springs - Anyone else having issues?

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/06, 08:18 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMR Springs - Anyone else having issues?

Installed the set with 1.75" drop in rear. Once installed, the front end was making a slight creaking noise. Called BMR (great customer service BTW) and they sent another set, credited the cost of a 2nd install - BUT, the 2nd set is also creaking in the front, only worse. They've so far been unable to reproduce the problem at the shop, but noted there were a handful of other customers experiencing the same problem. I've noticed the hotter it is outside, the worse the noise is. Supposedly the springs can only be installed one way. I'm starting to wonder if it is another part in there actually making the noise. This is the very common creak you hear from an older abused car where when the steering wheel turns it makes this obnoxious creaking noise. In any case, it's not getting any better by itself, just fishing for ideas on what else to check or if I just try a different brand. Worst part is, I really like the profile with these springs. Ride can be a tad harsh on rough roads, but otherwise it looks terrific. The noise, however, is pretty much taking the fun out of driving my car.
Old 8/20/06, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have had my BMR springs for a couple weeks or so and it has been hella hot here..... they are quiet, and the ride is **** near stock, but it handles way better.

they can be installed upside down in front.... so I would check on that... the tight wound coils go on the top. also, there is a rubber sleve that I took off the stock springs and put on the BMR springs that covers the last coil or so on the bottom.... to isolate the noise a bit more.

but mine are dead silent, ride quality is just as good as stock, the drrop is **** sexy, and the handling is awesome!!

let me know if i can be of any help. but I would check on how they were installed if you didnt do it yourself.
Old 8/20/06, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

it seems alot of us are having that same problem with all different brands. Mine got better after the alignment and some other chasis stiffening
Old 8/20/06, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I still havent aligned mine.....
Old 8/20/06, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was very careful how I installed mine and I was way off when I went to have it aligned. I DEFFINETLY recommend camber adjustment bolts. If it werent for them they wouldnt have been able to get the adjustment right.
Old 8/20/06, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let the springs settle a little bit and get it aligned.
Old 8/21/06, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

well, i plan on new wheels and tires in the near future, and the car isnt pulling at all now, and drives great, so I think I will hold off till I get the wheels, and the camber bolts or plates.
Old 8/21/06, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

You might want to check your strut bearings while you're at it. When I installed my springs, I was getting a strange creaking noise and a vibration that I could feel through the steering wheel. Turned out it was the springs that were out of spec and were putting uneven pressure on the strut bearings causing them to wear out and not turn properly, hense, the creaking noise. Had the springs exchanged for recently made ones and also replaced both strut bearings. (cheap through FORD) Reinstalled the bearings and springs now no more creaking and vibration. Maybe this helps you out.
Old 8/23/06, 05:29 PM
GT Member

Thanks everyone - I may go back to stock springs and see if there is any noise, perhaps something else went bad. My installer did not take the rubber off the stock springs and include with the BMR springs, that will be the next thing to try. I'll keep ya posted!
Old 8/23/06, 08:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that noise if I turn my wheel ever so slightly, but at speed it goes away. My noise is a little more abrubt than a creaking though. I am taking the car to an alignment shop tomorrow to see if they can trouble shoot it. I think that it might be;
1.) Strut bolt coming loose
2.) Lower bolts coming loose.

I tried to trouble shoot the problem by listening to the noise with the hood open and had a buddy turn the wheel. I noticed that there was a little vibration coming from the passenger side, that is also where the noised is coming from. Maybe I will try to bearings thing and see what happens, I just don't want to take the car apart again.